Author Topic: Dancing on Ice - now it is underway  (Read 9104 times)

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
Re: Dancing on Ice - now it is underway
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 03:40:48 pm »
How many hours of training they do before the first show, does anyone know?
I'd love to do a skating bootcamp of sorts - an intensive week or fortnight, or whatever.
Wonder if anywhere offers anything like that?

You do get courses like that but rarely in the UK. The Dundee camps is probably the closest type of thing I can think of. I personally have never been but there are plenty of other forum members who have and I haven't heard a single bad word about it. There are camps in the US and the odd one on the continent but Adult skating in Europe and the UK is a bit behind the US and Canada where its been much bigger for the past 15 years or so. If you have the resources, Lake Placid (New York State) does a camp for adults every year

Take a look at this site to get an idea of what is available

http://www.adultpairskating.com/page3/page3.html

I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

luv2sk8

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 04:57:11 pm »
There is a 2 day skate camp in March. See BITA website. I am hurrying at the mo so cant do link! Sorry
YYYAAAAAAYYYYYY! Passed NISA Field Moves Level 1!
BAC2010 Pre bronze Free Category 3 Bronze! :)

gwynneth23

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 07:46:53 pm »
I'm sure they practise for a good few months - possibly 3 or 4. And they are probably having at least 2 hours of one-to-one tuition every day, maybe more if they've got time. So they've probably had more coaching (and ice time) by the time they start, than we do in maybe 2 years!

That makes me feel a bit better when I see how good some of them are  :P

I agree it's been good to see several of them looking quite strong, and I think Sinitta should have stayed as well. Even with the mistake she made, it seemed a better performance and routine than Sharon's. But hey.

Re an intensive course, I don't think this is quite up to what you're looking for, but I'm fairly sure I remember seeing signs at my rink last summer, where they were offering a week of Skate UK. You had a half hour Skate UK lesson every morning for a week, and then you could stay on for the public session. I suppose it would be like the equivalent of doing a 6 week Skate UK course in one week. I expect all the Planet Ice rinks were probably doing it?

smelltheice

• wherever you go, there you are. James. T. Kirk
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 07:58:03 pm »
yep. Our local rink is Planet ice and they had that course offered too although it was cancelled due to lack of interest last summer
I don't believe in the no-win scenario. There is always a way to have your cake and eat it!!!

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 08:31:47 pm »
How many hours of training they do before the first show, does anyone know?
I'd love to do a skating bootcamp of sorts - an intensive week or fortnight, or whatever.
Wonder if anywhere offers anything like that?

Jojo

you could always try a skatecamp. There is one specifically for adults at Dundee at the beginning of April this year. You get 3 day of 2 hrs of ice and 2 hrs on ice. It is hard but very enjoyable as there is usually one social night

The Ice Mouse

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

Yvonne

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 09:30:55 pm »
There is a 2 day skate camp in March. See BITA website. I am hurrying at the mo so cant do link! Sorry

This one's at Sheffield. :)
Passed silver

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
  • Womble on ice (Novice)
Re: Dancing on Ice - Sinitta and Sharon
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 12:01:35 am »
I watched both performances with a stop watch and noted the following

Sinitta;

Time skating (actually moving) not holding partner - <3.5 seconds
Time skating holding partner - 38 seconds
Time being carried by partner not touching ice -  20 seconds
Time doing toe pick steps or side steps or nothing on the spot - 23 seconds (first 18 seconds and last 5)

Sharon;

Time skating (actually moving) not holding partner - 9 seconds
Time skating holding partner - 41.5 seconds
Time being carried by partner not touching ice - 11 seconds
Time doing toe pick steps or side steps or nothing on the spot - 12 seconds (9 in middle and 3 at end)

So, Sinitta may have given a more polished performance but she actually skated less.  If you look at Sharon's legs and ignore her upper body, her skating was far more competent and assured than Sinitta's.  I was sorry to see Sinitta go out because she's been training at my rink but purely on skating alone, Sharon was better, particularly in the skate-off.

Skate UK start: 24/02/09
Met The Ice Mouse: 27/03/09
Broke wrist: 24/04/09
NISA L1 FM pass: 29/03/10
English Style Prelim test: 7/08/11
Working on: L2, L3, L4 FM, L1 Comp.Dance

Spiders on coffee

luv2sk8

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:17 am »
This one's at Sheffield. :)
OOOps such a hurry forgot to put Sheffield !
YYYAAAAAAYYYYYY! Passed NISA Field Moves Level 1!
BAC2010 Pre bronze Free Category 3 Bronze! :)

Nicola

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 12:15:43 pm »
Caffn8me, I like your time breakdown  ;D I agree, you should be rewarded for skating on your own!

As some of you know, I am in a competition similar to Dancing on Ice where we have 4 months to learn to skate with a professional partner before being in a show. I have just started training with my partner (we did 2 months of skating alone) and what a difference it makes having someone confident to hold on to! I feel happy trying anything and go so much faster! The lifts are great fun too. We are doing about 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, which I guess is similar to the Dancing on Ice celebrities.

Really enjoying watching Dancing on Ice. The boys were much better and I think a lot of it was down to confidence. Watching avidly!

tee

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 01:18:12 pm »
Id love to do a boot camp type thing also. Would it be possible maybe if a bunch of folks wanted to do this could a teacher be found to teach it ??
I dont live in the uk but have emailed some rinks but nobody has replyed.
tee :(

Carrie

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 01:22:13 pm »
Good to see your breakdown of the routines Caffn8me - confirms the ladies don't have their skates on the ice very much.

I wonder, does anyone know the size of the DOI rink - the TV gives the impression it's quite big but I'm sure it's not?

About the time they spend training - Bobby D started about June/July last year and seemed to be at the rink quite a lot.  Guess his panto commitments made it difficult for him to find time from Nov/Dec onwards.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy