Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354140 times)

ice queen

• Global Moderator
Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:11:40 pm »
backward crossovers figure of eight fast!
perimeter inside three turns
fourteenstep concentrating on back runs and the cross behind forward run including leg extension.

All good fun.

IQ

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
  • Womble on ice (Novice)
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:17:21 pm »
backward crossovers figure of eight fast!

I've discovered it's really easy to go very fast doing backward crossovers and when I asked my coach how I could slow things down he told me that speed was good as many people weren't able to use crossovers to gain speed.  I wonder if he'll have me doing backward crossovers at speed in a figure of eight too!  I think the first few times will need to be on a fairly quiet rink!

I'm glad your lesson went well,

Sarah

Skate UK start: 24/02/09
Met The Ice Mouse: 27/03/09
Broke wrist: 24/04/09
NISA L1 FM pass: 29/03/10
English Style Prelim test: 7/08/11
Working on: L2, L3, L4 FM, L1 Comp.Dance

Spiders on coffee

ice queen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 11:27:22 pm »
Thanks Sarah I am sure you that you soon will have the joys of backward crossovers in figure of eight its part of nisa 1 field moves and skate uk level 10 i think .  I too used to be really scared of bumping into someone now I am happy to power round the rink avoiding people. Great fun :D

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
  • Womble on ice (Novice)
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 11:38:46 pm »
Thanks Sarah I am sure you that you soon will have the joys of backward crossovers in figure of eight its part of nisa 1 field moves and skate uk level 10 i think .  I too used to be really scared of bumping into someone now I am happy to power round the rink avoiding people. Great fun :D

I'm already doing forward and backward crossovers in a figure of eight (see my previous posts) - and he wants me to join them with a three turn in the centre.  He just hasn't asked me to do them really fast yet!

Streatham doesn't really seem to follow Skate UK.  I'm doing things which aren't anywhere in Skate UK and have missed out things which are.  Maybe I'll come back to those!

Sarah

Skate UK start: 24/02/09
Met The Ice Mouse: 27/03/09
Broke wrist: 24/04/09
NISA L1 FM pass: 29/03/10
English Style Prelim test: 7/08/11
Working on: L2, L3, L4 FM, L1 Comp.Dance

Spiders on coffee

luv2sk8

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 02:15:28 pm »
You seem to be doing Level 1 Field Moves! Great fun :)
YYYAAAAAAYYYYYY! Passed NISA Field Moves Level 1!
BAC2010 Pre bronze Free Category 3 Bronze! :)

bezlewis

• the tiny skater
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 02:17:38 pm »
did my ruitne for gold with lellylooboo
which includes
pivote
forwards cross-overs to spiraling curve
forwards into spiral
cross rolls
turn to backwards
3 back cross overs
step forward into toe loop
skate forwad crossovers into pull up
turn backwards into 3 jump
enter into spin
spin
forward bunny hop into drag
end
good fun but tiring
started skate uk:28/03/09
passed lvl 1 fm 6/12/10
Passed lvl3 fm, lvl2 F 08/10/12, lvl2 e 16/01/12
working lv 4 fm

ezika

• Hopelessly addicted to skating
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 03:49:37 pm »
I had a 30 min private
lesson yesterday, my first
in my new skates. It went
 ok, we did basic forward
and backward skating,
lemon 2 foot turn nomel 2
 foot turn lemon to warm
up. Then worked on
outside edges, backward
1 foot glides, forward
chasses and crossovers in
 a figure eight, outside 3
turns and started on
continuous inside edges
which i like!

Started Skate UK 10/1/09
Passed Gold free 26/8/10

Working on upright spin, back spin, sit spin, camel spin, salchow, toe loop, loop, level 1FM

http://turniponice.blogspot.com/

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 04:45:05 pm »
In todays lesson I did......

Backward to forward skating
Forward to backward skating
Backward 2 foot glide
Forward Chasses
Forward outside edges (Well tried them anyway)

The Ice Mouse

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

ezika

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 08:07:46 am »
heehee, apologies for the strange formatting on my last post, my internet has died so I was on my phone.

In club on Saturday I got to attempt forward crossrolls for the first time and forward and backwards spirals. Had a go at two foot twizzles, but didn't realise I was supposed to do them in both directions lol. Then did lots of spin practice, two foot and two foot into one foot. I got told to stop using my toepick at the start of the spin (which is how I'd been taught to do it previously), because higher up you go into it properly and can't, but starting it with my feet on the ice was easier than I expected.

Galaxy Gliders was fun, except i find it harder to step crossovers on the spot them going forward lol! But on the circle they were okay and the coach said they were better this week. Backwards one foot glides still need work, cause they go onto inside edges.  Spin is fun of course, and a good chance to keep practicing for the sweet spot on my new blades. Sometimes I get it and it's really smooth and my feet stay close togethe,r but it's still a bit hit and miss at the moment. Backwards snowplow is easy enough :D

The odd thing was, there were kids who could barely do backward lemons or skate backwards at all. I can see why they're getting stricter now with the pass standards.

Started Skate UK 10/1/09
Passed Gold free 26/8/10

Working on upright spin, back spin, sit spin, camel spin, salchow, toe loop, loop, level 1FM

ezika

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 08:58:56 am »
Rehersals on Sunday and Monday were really fun! The coach was telling the kids standing next to me that if we included pivots and another weird toepick kicky step thing in the routine, they'd have to practice them, and I was nodding as well to show I would be practicing and she said "Oh I know you will Erica!" which was lovely :D She's not my regular coach, so it's nice that she notices improvements in my skating and knows how hard I work at it.

Need to work on my forward drags, I'm gonna ask my coach to show me how to do them properly in my lesson tomorrow, as I've done them from jsut watching everyone else so far.

Today I did an adult group lesson before work, which was really good. There was 9 skaters and 3 coaches, so plenty of help, which was important as there was quite a spread of abilities.

I got to try forward crossrolls again, and even attempt backwards. Which aren't really anything unless I'm holding onto the coaches hands lol, but she said she didn't expect me to be able to do them yet anyway, so I'm just happy I had a go :D

We also learned the novice foxtrot, which I've done before, and the Tango, which I haven't. Which meant doing slip steps and crossroll swing over thingies for the first time. I tend to get a bit left behind and lose the pattern of the dance very quickly lol. But again, I had coaches helping me and going round holding on to me, which really helped. With the tango I get confused and want to do crossovers instead of swings though, and then I get confused about which foot I'm slipping.

But it was really fun, looking forward to next week.

Started Skate UK 10/1/09
Passed Gold free 26/8/10

Mysique

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2009, 10:12:46 am »
Lesson last night we covered all the level 4 elements again, unfortunately due to more and more people starting the lessons we didn't get to do any of the level 5 elements, with the exception of the one girl who is testing for level 5.

We covered.

Forward chasses
Turning from forward to backward skating
Inside edge on a curve, both directions
Bunny hop
Backwards skating, glide and stop

Am finding it very difficult to stop in my new skates  :-\

We were told that they are going to try and see if they can source another slot for us, as they realise for the evel that we are at, we are not getting much practice in, even at the lessons.
Emerald Skate: Levels 1 - 4 previously achieved
Started Skate Ireland: 9/1/2012
Passed levels 1 - 5: 10/6/2012
Working on levels 6 & 7

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy