Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354160 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3399 on: October 04, 2019, 07:33:10 am »
I fell for the first time.

Congratulations!  How long did it take you?  Considering you survived - and I'm assuming you're not typing this with eye blinks - then hopefully you feel freed by the experience and ready to greet every new challenge with enthusiasm rather than dread! 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

DorvillAndTean

« Reply #3400 on: October 06, 2019, 01:00:12 pm »
Congratulations!  How long did it take you?  Considering you survived - and I'm assuming you're not typing this with eye blinks - then hopefully you feel freed by the experience and ready to greet every new challenge with enthusiasm rather than dread!

2 lessons! And I'm a beginner too! I feel straight into my bum but luckily there isn't a bruise and it doesn't hurt anymore!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3401 on: October 06, 2019, 06:07:31 pm »
2 lessons! And I'm a beginner too! I feel straight into my bum but luckily there isn't a bruise and it doesn't hurt anymore!

Oh, that's brilliant.  In my experience, the people who take a long time to take their first fall tend to progress much more slowly than those who fall early on, get it over with and bounce right back.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3402 on: October 06, 2019, 09:32:25 pm »
My lesson was working on edges, then all my jumps and my spin.

Group was good too. Various things tackled, like double 3 turns, back inside 3 turns, back one foot slaloms, but we also did some fun stuff: two of us skating backwards, pulling my coach who was doing a continuous t-stop, using 2 hockey sticks. Also slaloms while in a dip or "little man" as we call them at our rink. That hurts your calves...
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3403 on: October 15, 2019, 11:49:33 am »
My legs have finally stopped aching after Sunday's lesson.
Lots of focus on 3 turns, FO, BO, continuous FO3s. There were also mohawks, to finish the footwork bit, after stretching my hips at the barrier. Then we looked at spins, can now get 2 rotations consistently on 1 foot from standstill. Stretches at the barrier next, spiral stretch - both sides are now close to the actual definition of a spiral, yay!  Then coach decided to try and kill me by helping me stretch further - gently pushing my leg higher. Then he made me pop my foot on the barrier - both sides are much easier now. That was bad news for me as I've now been introduced to the Y frame spiral. Finished off with some jump work, 3 jump, focusing on driving my free leg up rather than around, then toe loop from standstill. You get a lot done in an hour!

Was able to do another 30 minute group too, where we got introduced to level 2 field moves. Ugh. Glad they're a long way off!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3404 on: October 15, 2019, 12:56:12 pm »
Was able to do another 30 minute group too, where we got introduced to level 2 field moves. Ugh. Glad they're a long way off!

Oh, I do enjoy your lessons.  Lots of great stuff.

For the record, I think Level 2 Field Moves are much nicer than Level 1.  I loathe spirals on the flat of the blade.  By definition they're NOT spirals!

Level 2 Exercise 4 (Forward Inside Open Mohawk Exercise) is lovely.  You'll enjoy that when you get the hang of it and can incorporate it into your programmes, too.  8)

Leif

« Reply #3405 on: October 20, 2019, 06:18:34 pm »
I had another lesson yesterday (so not exactly today  :)) focussing yet again on crossovers, and some drills. We tried crossrolls. After my first attempt she remarked that the “hockey elephant had returned”. I needed to be more elegant. She seemed pleased with the subsequent lighter versions, which required a degree of hip wiggling. At one point she wanted me to speed up while doing backwards CW crossovers, and I accidentally skated through the rink exit and out into the corridor, much to the surprise of the rink owner, and the amusement of my coach. :o Towards the end she said I was going to do backwards crossrolls. No! No, no, no! So we tried backwards outside edges instead, which I messed up, but it wasn’t too bad for a first attempt of something that scares me. My forwards crossovers are still not there yet, but I’m starting to understand what I need to do. I later watched Kseniya and Oleg’s video and it really helps to explain some of the things my coach was telling me. I think the combination of lessons and video together help, the video on its own has not helped in the past, as I need someone to help guide and correct.

Progress seems slow, but it is progress, and honestly much much faster than when I wasn’t taking lessons.  :)

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3406 on: October 20, 2019, 06:26:06 pm »
I find the secret to back crossrolls is to really lean back, or feel you are.  In reality you're not really, but I need to do that to counteract the reluctance to commit to the edge and the tendency to lean forward which makes it almost impossible to get a decent edge.  It's easier I would think on a figure blade, with the longer heel.  My back cross rolls are reasonable these days and I feel comfortable, on figure blades, but on my rollerblades which have much less of a protrusion of the blades under the heel I still struggle to really commit and have to force myself.  I have started wearing a helmet when I am on wheels which helps my confidence.  Look forward to hearing your progress with them, and I will be mighty impressed once you have mastered them.

Leif

« Reply #3407 on: October 20, 2019, 08:30:10 pm »
Look forward to hearing your progress with them, and I will be mighty impressed once you have mastered them.

Thanks, I’ll be impressed too! I’ll see if the local pig squadron can do a fly past to mark the event.  :)

Jo

« Reply #3408 on: October 20, 2019, 09:17:44 pm »
I feel your pain Leif. I too am currently struggling with crossovers and cross rolls both forwards and backwards. I really think the coach expects my legs to be made out of spaghetti! In my head, I know how it's all meant to look and I've been watching loads of you-tube videos, but getting my legs to cooperate is another matter. Especially with backwards, my legs and blades are constantly getting all tangled up together. But a few months ago, I couldn't even figure out how to skate backwards so I'm assuming it'll all come together eventually with more practice.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3409 on: October 21, 2019, 08:23:57 am »
Must be something in the water these coaches are drinking, mine had me attempting backwards cross rolls too!
Yesterday we also spent a lot of time working on my spin, and then at the end looked at salchow. The spin is my nemesis and is not improving no matter what I try. Salchow was better, I've had a habit of putting my free foot down after the turn, then jumping. Coach made me fight the urge to do this and just jump. Scary, but I did it. I think it was more a confidence thing, I used to do it on 3 jumps too.
Group was a session on mohawks and chocktaws. Hmm, not a fan really but was good fun.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy