Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354332 times)

WednesdayMarch

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3377 on: August 11, 2019, 07:05:51 pm »
Another lesson yesterday morning. Very frustrating. I struggled with almost everything, all basic stuff too. When she does something, I find it hard to copy her, often because I can’t work out where my legs are supposed to go.  . . .  Anyway, I’ll try 45 minutes next week, up from 30. I wonder how long other people’s lessons are?

I would counsel against 45 minutes.  That extra 15 minutes would be better spent on practice and letting your brain process what you were just taught. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3378 on: August 11, 2019, 07:37:11 pm »
I'm daft. I do half an hour, but every other week have an extra half hour, and my coach's schedule means those 2 are back to back. I've done an hour and a half before, when I'd travel to another rink to work with my coach's coach :)

Today in my hour lesson we did lots of work on my spin, from different entries (inside 3, step onto outside edge then spin, and the traditional way) and it's slowly coming together. Then we had a look at my spirals which are improving gradually. Had a chat about PCS and how we're going to build my next program. We finished with some 3 jumps, and then coach decided I need to start on the salchow. I'm not a fan right now, can't quite time it right.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Leif

« Reply #3379 on: August 12, 2019, 08:53:04 pm »
Thanks all for comments. Oh well, I booked 45 minutes so I’ll see how it goes. Glad you are all progressing, especially WM who seems to be full steam ahead.

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #3380 on: August 12, 2019, 10:27:40 pm »
Glad you are all progressing, especially WM who seems to be full steam ahead.

She's not, you know.  She's not even back to where she was in July 2018.  Nearly 7 months of very little skating did her no favours.

Determined to carry on and improve, though.  I find that teaching others actually really helps get my brain working and that, in turn, does help coax my damaged leg into doing some of the things it's asked to do.  I just wish I was braver.  A couple of weeks ago I was really frustrated at how scarily bad my left forward inside three turns had become (they were never this bad, even after 18 years and the leg op!) and the Wednesday morning Coach & Skate coach gave me a talking to and told me to attack them more.  So I did.  Success!  Could I replicate that last week?  Er, no, not really.  <sigh>
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #3381 on: August 13, 2019, 10:52:15 pm »
Sorry to hear that, I’m getting used to the taste of my feet, they are almost palatable.  ::)  It must be frustrating for you, given past accomplishments, whereas I am at a lower level, but starting from nowt.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3382 on: August 14, 2019, 09:03:49 am »
Tomorrow I'll have a nice big post for you all. Our coaches are doing a skills camp, so I've got 5 hours of training.
On ice technique
On ice performance
Off ice fitness
Off ice performance skills
Followed by a discussion session.

Can't wait, but not looking forward to being at the rink for 5.45am 😂

traceyphillips

« Reply #3383 on: August 14, 2019, 03:09:25 pm »
Tomorrow I'll have a nice big post for you all. Our coaches are doing a skills camp, so I've got 5 hours of training.
On ice technique
On ice performance
Off ice fitness
Off ice performance skills
Followed by a discussion session.

Can't wait, but not looking forward to being at the rink for 5.45am 😂

Good Job! Keep busy! I've just finished a 2 hour off ice fitness session. Having a little break then going straight onto the ice for on ice performance skills.

josydavinia

« Reply #3384 on: August 15, 2019, 02:52:57 pm »
Not today's lesson but I had no time to post yesterday:

Got tested on my Skate UK levels and solidly achieved my 1-3. Tentatively achieved my 4 and 5, but we have a few elements to work on before my coach will sign me off, pesky forwards crossovers being one of them! I much prefer the Skate UK grading system to Skate Excellence though! No silly terminology (thank god I no longer hear the word 'half star'!).

My goal for the end of this year was to get to grade 3, so I'm happy to have achieved it in only 8 months. I'm a slow and careful learner so I definitely didn't expect to be working at a grade 4-5 at this point in my learning! :D

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #3385 on: August 15, 2019, 03:09:28 pm »
My goal for the end of this year was to get to grade 3, so I'm happy to have achieved it in only 8 months. I'm a slow and careful learner so I definitely didn't expect to be working at a grade 4-5 at this point in my learning! :D

Well, this is Full Of Epic Win!  Brilliant!  Congratulations!  You've obviously worked really hard.  Grade 4 by the end of the year?   :D

josydavinia

« Reply #3386 on: August 15, 2019, 03:14:00 pm »
Well, this is Full Of Epic Win!  Brilliant!  Congratulations!  You've obviously worked really hard.  Grade 4 by the end of the year?   :D

Thank you! :) I'm hoping to have achieved my grade 4 within the next 5-10 lessons with a bit more practise as it is my backwards stroking and slalom letting me down. In my defence, we've never tried slalom before yesterday so shouldn't be too much of a pain. New goal is to be working towards 5 by the end of the year.

I may be 21, but getting signatures in Skate UK ROA is so motivating to me!

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3387 on: August 16, 2019, 09:19:07 am »
So skate camp was awesome. Lots of useful stuff to take forward.

Not a lesson but saw my coach for a bit and we talked about moving up in competitions - there's one in January and I want to move up for that. He says if I can show him all 3 passport jumps, with some height, then we will. If not, it'll be April's competition when I move up.

Salchow is coming, toe loop has a massive mental block around it, but I've got til the middle of September to get them nice. Alright coach, challenge accepted.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy