Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354121 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3366 on: June 26, 2019, 05:58:58 am »
Sunday's group footwork lesson, we did:
Toe steps - hate them, struggle going forwards when my classmates are going backwards, sideways and doing fancy little turns
Heel steps - why?! Ended up doing these holding on to my coach. Evil.
Then we broke away from footwork for the rest, we had a look at our 1 foot spins, 3 jumps - including a rather fun continuous 3 jump exercise and worked on spirals. Then we finished by the 2 of us s km sting in the artistic competition this Saturday running our routines and the lady not competing doing a little spin, spiral jump routine.

Great fun.

Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

josydavinia

« Reply #3367 on: June 27, 2019, 08:33:21 am »
Sunday's group footwork lesson, we did:
Toe steps - hate them, struggle going forwards when my classmates are going backwards, sideways and doing fancy little turns
Heel steps - why?! Ended up doing these holding on to my coach. Evil.
Then we broke away from footwork for the rest, we had a look at our 1 foot spins, 3 jumps - including a rather fun continuous 3 jump exercise and worked on spirals. Then we finished by the 2 of us s km sting in the artistic competition this Saturday running our routines and the lady not competing doing a little spin, spiral jump routine.

Great fun.

This sounds like a lot of fun!! I can't wait to start working on foot work and spirals etc! :)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3368 on: July 08, 2019, 07:57:55 am »
Last night was the first week in my new lesson slot. One week I'll have a half hour lesson, then our group, then the other week I'll have an hour lesson :)

On my lesson we did some stuff from bronze, crossovers in a figure 8, bunny hop into drag and one foot spins.

Then in group it was all about back inside edges - we did them continuously down the rink, then we did back inside 3s although I'm just holding the back inside for now, then back inside loops, followed by mohawks, backwards 1 foot slaloms, and forward outside 3 turn followed by landing position.

Tiring, but great fun. I need to get my back knee on the ice to get the bunny hop drag signed off though, and have no idea how!
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #3369 on: July 30, 2019, 08:25:54 pm »

Well, tonight's lesson was good
After starting as usual with a round of outside and a round of inside edges. This was followed by a round of skiing.

Extras tonight were a complete round of backward skating (for those that know me, backward skating is my nemesis).

Aided backward edges followed by an aided backward spiral.
The rest of the lesson was made up of crossrolls, 2 foot spins, 3 turns and with the help of Barry the barrier some 3 jumps

All in all a great 30 min lesson - look out Thursday

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3370 on: July 31, 2019, 10:33:30 am »
I've just restarted 1-1 lessons, after a long break, albeit on a fairly informal basis.  I asked for some guidance on how to approach a Walley jump. I think I've got enough input now to go away and work on it for a while, get the timing right so I have the confidence to go into it with enough speed to actually JUMP and get round.  I'm old and not very springy, so right now it feels a long way off.  But I'm not going to give up - I think they are one of the coolest looking moves in all of figure skating.  Wish it was a recognised jump so people would work on triples and quads.  Arguably it's the hardest single jump as, like a lutz, you are counter-rotating but without the toe assistance.

Leif

« Reply #3371 on: August 04, 2019, 09:40:40 am »
I had my third skating lesson yesterday, with the focus on crossovers. Counter clockwise is okay, clockwise is not. Prior to the lesson my right foot would tend to slide sideways and not dig in. Half an hour later and she’d fixed the sliding, and improved my CW crossovers no end. They are a work in progress, but there has been a big improvement.

I’m very impressed how a coach can markedly speed up the learning process, and of course teach correct technique. I know a lot of people who learn from YouTube, including myself, but it’s no substitute for one on one teaching.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3372 on: August 04, 2019, 10:02:40 am »
I had my third skating lesson yesterday, with the focus on crossovers. Counter clockwise is okay, clockwise is not. Prior to the lesson my right foot would tend to slide sideways and not dig in. Half an hour later and she’d fixed the sliding, and improved my CW crossovers no end. They are a work in progress, but there has been a big improvement.

How did she fix the sliding?  My money - without actually seeing what you were doing - is on it being a weight transfer issue, requiring a change in body position (upper body and shoulders facing into the circle) and a lot more pressure exerted for a "pull then push" on the right foot.

I’m very impressed how a coach can markedly speed up the learning process, and of course teach correct technique. I know a lot of people who learn from YouTube, including myself, but it’s no substitute for one on one teaching.

You're absolutely right.  A coach is experienced and trained enough to see what you're doing.  You can't see it yourself, unless you're videoed, and even then unless you have the experience and training, you're unlikely to know exactly what is wrong and how best to fix it.  A good coach will also be able to explain the fix in about 50 different ways...

Your progress is excellent and really interesting.  Keep posting about the lessons!  More detail!  Please!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #3373 on: August 04, 2019, 11:52:06 am »
How did she fix the sliding?  My money - without actually seeing what you were doing - is on it being a weight transfer issue, requiring a change in body position (upper body and shoulders facing into the circle) and a lot more pressure exerted for a "pull then push" on the right foot.

In part yes, I certainly did need to improve my upper body position, but I’m far too creative to have just one single fault. Other issues: my left foot was pointing outwards when contacting the ice, I was tending to dig in the heels rather than the flat of the blade, my feet were spread out too much in the direction of motion, there was not enough knee bend, and my legs needed to be straighter (I assume that means the lower leg needs to be more vertical). Quite a long list of sins.  ;D

I’m sure there’s lots more work to be done.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3374 on: August 04, 2019, 12:05:59 pm »
There is never enough knee bend...   ;D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #3375 on: August 11, 2019, 09:44:22 am »
Another lesson yesterday morning. Very frustrating. I struggled with almost everything, all basic stuff too. When she does something, I find it hard to copy her, often because I can’t work out where my legs are supposed to go. My legs do go in the right directions, but not in the right order. (As per the pianist who plays the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.) Anyway, I’ll try 45 minutes next week, up from 30. I wonder how long other people’s lessons are?

That said, she has improved my tight turns (no longer skating on my heels) and my CW forward crossovers are much better. My straight line speed is better too.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3376 on: August 11, 2019, 06:40:41 pm »
My lessons are 15 minutes at the moment.  That's about all the input I can take.  Then I need to go and practice.  I sympathize - people show me things and I look at them and struggle to work out which leg they are standing on.  It's a challenge.  I have to feel things for myself, and it takes time.
I'm pleased if I can pick out one thing from a session that I felt I understood a bit better than before.  I'd like to improve quicker but I am what I am.  I improve more if I relax and enjoy my skating.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy