Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354134 times)

Carrie

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3355 on: January 19, 2019, 10:21:44 am »
Skate Canada published a list of contemporary music for dances:  www.lbfsc.ca/sites/files/2013-14%20Dance%20Patterns%20contemporary%20playlist.pdf

Rolling in the Deep by Adele is good for the Canasta Tango.  I like Lady Antebellum, I Need you Now, for a Swing Dance but my coach decided it was good for the Riverside Rumba.  I only do recreational dancing so don’t have to dance to the ISU music but I do think these tunes are good for first learning to dance as they are exactly the correct tempo.  I know they can be annoying hearing them again and again but I remember someone was doing a free dance to a Monkeys song!!  Really got fed up with hearing that….. ;D

Do agree that Dancing on Ice contestants should do a pattern dance.  I groaned when the head-banger was mentioned last week!  Still, this is a “show” so I suppose this is why they do these moves. 

Going to watch the British Synchronised Championships this afternoon.  They are being live streamed on the BBC Sports website, today and tomorrow. 

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3356 on: January 19, 2019, 10:58:38 am »
I have a ticket to watch today :) Hoping to learn some more about synchro :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3357 on: January 27, 2019, 09:08:59 pm »
Spent most of my lesson tonight working on getting my drag lower - coach is lovely and started off holding my hands, then we moved on to me doing it solo.

I fell about 5 times. Got the drag lower though.

Then did program run through and some work on the Canasta Tango to finish off.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3358 on: April 18, 2019, 09:56:52 pm »
Tonight was fun! Worked on my 1 foot spin - it's coming along but I'm not hitting the position I need to in order to get momentum.

Then we had a look at my spirals. They're not technically high enough to be called spirals but I'm getting the body position now.

3 jumps. Love these, and now have an exercise for them - start backwards, step forwards and jump. Repeat round circle til you're too dizzy to carry on.

Then had a look at my outside 3 turns and outside edge on my weaker right side. Fun but blah! That's the side I've ignored for too long so now I'm paying for it.

My legs ache tonight! Haven't felt the ache for a while 😀

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3359 on: May 23, 2019, 02:32:18 pm »
This week's Coach 'n Skate informal "lesson" (it was just me, as the others are working on a little routine) consisted of Field Moves Level 5 Exercise 1 Backward Perimeter Changes of Edge steps 1-6.  It's lovely!  Quite tricky for an ice dancer, though, as the body movement is much more "freeskatingy".  I'm going to enjoy this one.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3360 on: May 24, 2019, 07:44:45 am »
Got the first 30 seconds of my artistic routine done, ready for this year's competition at the end of next month.

Coach isn't messing about with this one, so far I've got:
Big, strong cross rolls
A quick little opening footwork bit
An inside twizzle on my right foot
A bunny hop into drag.

All with arms and facialeexpressions.

Apparently there are spirals, a spin and a few other skate-y bits to come, as well as making it entertaining.

Oh and all of this is with a cane as a prop. I do wonder if he wants me to do well, or if he's getting revenge for the trauma of getting my pattern dances up to scratch before Glasgow last month 😂

josydavinia

« Reply #3361 on: June 19, 2019, 04:34:54 pm »
Today in my half hour lesson:

Backwards and forwards glide
Forwards crossovers
One foot on a circle
turning from backwards to forwards
3 turns

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3362 on: June 19, 2019, 06:21:13 pm »
Today in my half hour lesson:

Backwards and forwards glide
Forwards crossovers
One foot on a circle
turning from backwards to forwards
3 turns

That's a good amount for a half hour lesson.  How are those pesky crossovers going?
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

josydavinia

« Reply #3363 on: June 20, 2019, 10:30:22 am »
That's a good amount for a half hour lesson.  How are those pesky crossovers going?

Crossovers are getting there! I think going from group to private whilst struggling with them has been the best thing I've ever done as it's really nice to have someone explain all the issues I was having with them! Just about building speed and confidence with them now. :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3364 on: June 20, 2019, 11:01:22 am »
Brilliant!  Private lessons are amazingly helpful.  I do like group lessons, too, though.  I've always found the amount of support that people get from the others in their class is great for progress.  (I always liked teaching adult group lessons best.  They were the greatest fun.)

Jo

« Reply #3365 on: June 22, 2019, 08:41:17 pm »
Today was my first week doing Skate Excellence Level 5. We did backwards lemons. Backwards half lemons in a circle. Backwards scoots in a circle. Backwards half stars in a circle. Backwards tightropes in a circle. Achieved ok since we've been practicing that stuff in Level 4. Two foot changing direction. Not a hope. My legs completely refused to twist like that!  I'm hoping to have cracked level 5 by my birthday in September. (Fingers crossed hopefully) ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy