Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354111 times)

The Sacred Voice

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3344 on: December 20, 2018, 11:24:30 pm »
Ah sacred voice I was also in that class! I've just graduated into bronze free.. struggling stupidly on spins too. I'm a clockwise spinner but coach had me attempt the other way, nope not happening for me either.
I find that class terrifying as it's all free skaters above skate uk 8 and I still feel like I can barely do most of the stuff! Say hi if you see me I'm the rubbish one! 😂

I think I remember you posting on here before when I said I was moving up to Sheffield that you were in the adult classes (or were thinking of rejoining). I would say that everyone in that group is at a broadly similar level so I wouldn't worry about it seeming scary, certainly nobody stuck out at me as being "the rubbish one" so you've nothing to fear! ;D I will likely have been a little easier to spot though as I was the guy in the black hoodie at the start of the class that had to explain to the coach why I wasn't on the register :-[ Also, if you were on the same circle as me for the continuous 3 turn exercise then I was the guy that was skating on my own circle round the one everyone else was on, because I push an obscene amount so I have to compensate by widening my circle to avoid running into someone's back.

I would happily say hi, but I'm not actually sure I'm gonna come back to the adult group classes when they start up again :( I'd much rather learn with the adult groups, but I was a bit miffed at the way that coach handled me, which is saying something because I generally defer to authority figures ridiculously hard and I'm normally reeeeeaaaaalllly difficult to annoy ::) Aside from that though, the space available is a little small for my absurd pushing what with so many groups being taught on that session and so many people in each group. Lastly the academy lesson is a little longer, so I'm thinking of sticking with that, even though it means I have to hang out with the kids ;D I'll see if I can afford to pop back in for one month and say hi to you O0
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 11:26:14 pm by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3345 on: December 21, 2018, 06:10:57 am »
Last night we did some more program stuff, adding a couple of steps to help me set up for some 2 foot twizzles (or dodgy 2 foot spins as I like to think of them 😂)

Coach also gave me homework a while ago - off ice stretches to get my drag lower. He had a look and says it’s working so need to keep it up.

Then we did outside 3 turns - my right ones are improving, and my left are ok but need to stop dropping my free hip.

Then one foot spin from standstill. Ugh.

Then a couple of 3 jumps to finish.

Apparently in the new year we’re all getting a “patch plan” from him,  stuff he wants us doing each session. Could be interesting and might stop me and some of the kids skating aimlessly outside of lessons.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3346 on: December 21, 2018, 11:42:11 am »
Apparently in the new year we’re all getting a “patch plan” from him,  stuff he wants us doing each session. Could be interesting and might stop me and some of the kids skating aimlessly outside of lessons.

I'm liking your coach.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3347 on: December 30, 2018, 03:24:44 pm »
Small group lesson yesterday was mostly 3 jumps and backspin (bleurgh I hate backspin)

Then in what is normally a rink run performance class, it was just me and 3 younger girls, 2 of whom are also my main coach’s skaters. So we did:
Spin practice
Then L1 FM - coach told me to do what I could, I’m only on bronze so thought these were a way off! Managed an attempt at every exercise though.
Then jump practice - apparently my 3 jump is getting big and my landing is nice and controlled.

It was a good morning, apart from the backspins 😂

deimante

« Reply #3348 on: January 08, 2019, 05:04:25 pm »
landed my first salchow! worked on toe loop for a bit too and my coach certified it clean :D. we're also working on skate uk, level 1&2 elements. did you guys prepare a program for field moves free? is that something i need to start thinking about?

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3349 on: January 08, 2019, 11:22:39 pm »
landed my first salchow! worked on toe loop for a bit too and my coach certified it clean :D. we're also working on skate uk, level 1&2 elements. did you guys prepare a program for field moves free? is that something i need to start thinking about?

The criteria for passing Gold free states you have to do something like a minute of free flowing steps and what have you, but I don't actually know anyone that's been made to do it. That said, my last rink was super lax on it and my current rink just waved me straight past on Gold without even checking anything, so I might not have the most representative of experiences to draw on ;D
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3350 on: January 18, 2019, 07:46:05 pm »
Yesterday I went to see the coach I sometimes work with at a bigger rink. We:
Finished off my free dance - step sequence is in but causing me trouble
Ran my free skate on big ice, filmed for main coach
Worked on Canasta Tango, started Dutch Waltz

Then went to main rink and had my regular coach for a lesson. We did:
More Canasta Tango.

Dance is hard!!!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3351 on: January 18, 2019, 10:48:32 pm »
Dance is hard!!!

;D ;D ;D

But there aren't any jumps, so surely it's the "easy option"...?!   :D

I love ice dance.  I think it's the best option.  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3352 on: January 18, 2019, 10:56:57 pm »
Dance may be just as hard as free skating, but at least free skating doesn't have the same five tracks of hideously outdated dance music that makes everyone shudder when you hear one of them come on... :buck2: ;D DON'T PRETEND IT'S NOT TRUE! ;)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3353 on: January 18, 2019, 11:33:31 pm »
Dance may be just as hard as free skating, but at least free skating doesn't have the same five tracks of hideously outdated dance music that makes everyone shudder when you hear one of them come on... :buck2: ;D DON'T PRETEND IT'S NOT TRUE! ;)

My second coach asked me if I was happy with the music we’re using for pattern dances. Apparently the ones we’re using are the best of the bunch  :o

I do like dance, but I’m so guilty of seeing it as the easy option. Get the Dancing on Ice lot doing the Canasta Tango - that’ll separate the skaters from the non skaters!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3354 on: January 18, 2019, 11:47:55 pm »

Ahahahahahahahahahah.

But if you work hard, you get to do much more interesting dances, with music that is a world away from those "old favourites"!

I do like dance, but I’m so guilty of seeing it as the easy option. Get the Dancing on Ice lot doing the Canasta Tango - that’ll separate the skaters from the non skaters!

Ha!  Yes!  And the following week, get them to do something with a three turn!  And then a rocker!  (Well, maybe that's a bit harsh...)  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy