Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354127 times)

Leif

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3333 on: November 20, 2018, 08:16:49 am »
Thanks WednesdayMarch, very informative. I've seen hockey coaches and NHL players amongst others doing 'not cross rolls' and some call them a backwards scissors skate. No idea if that is the 'proper' name.

Emmax

« Reply #3334 on: November 24, 2018, 09:01:17 pm »
Hi, im one of those that get theirs done at Billingham. I find I have no adjustment unless I change the hollow. If you ever want your skates taking down or a lift and come down too i'm happy to take them. :) 

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3335 on: November 29, 2018, 06:59:16 pm »
I am actually able to contribute to this thread once again! :D I moved into Sheffield about two weeks ago and I took the plunge this week to join up to the adult classes here. Firstly, I was absolutely blown away by how many adult skaters there were in for the group lessons when I showed up. There were something like 8-12 in every level from 1-5 on the first session. I was initially told to get off and come back for the 6-Gold+ session that was on a bit later. Got back on and we warmed up with some basic stroking, alternating twizzles (I'm shocking at twizzles), forward cross rolls and two-foot slaloms with 3-turns in the middle. The larger group broke into ice dance/free skater groups and the coach for the free skate group said she'd had a request to go over some basics, so we did crossovers (forwards & back, both ways) and then worked our way through some jumps and touched on upright spin towards the end.

At the end, the coach suggested I might like to do the kids academy lesson that was on the next day, so I went back to do that, there was one other adult there so I didn't feel a fool. We ran through some of the early level field move exercises (crossovers to landing glide, straight spiral position, consecutive inside and outside edges) before working on 3 jumps and Salchows.

Overall, nothing I haven't covered before, but I haven't skated in so long that I was in so much pain the next few days, my glutes in particular! ;D For now I'm planning to continue with both groups so I don't have to commit to a coach before finding a job up here - we'll see how it goes!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:01:38 pm by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

black

• Skate free
« Reply #3336 on: November 30, 2018, 07:06:41 pm »
we'll see how it goes!

Well done - there is also a number of off-ice classes there too - flexibility, dance, jump rotation, and I think one of the coaches does a (pairs/dance) lifts class too.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3337 on: December 01, 2018, 01:15:45 pm »
Thursday night we did my step sequence for level 10, then ran program a couple of times, making some minor timing changes and tidying up a few elements.

Tomorrow is coach’s new fortnightly edge and footwork class again. Looking forward to that.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Florence

« Reply #3338 on: December 06, 2018, 10:10:44 am »
I moved into Sheffield about two weeks ago and I took the plunge this week to join up to the adult classes here.

How lovely! Of the rinks I visited so far Sheffield is my favourite! Hope you enjoy it.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3339 on: December 06, 2018, 10:38:37 am »
This week's "groupy thing" (an informal group lesson on a Wednesday morning) decided to be "dance week" and we did the Rhythm Blues, one of those new-fangled dances that I struggle to keep in my head beyond "Left, right, run...".  Reckon I might remember it this time.  I can still remember it 24 hours later, so that's a major improvement!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3340 on: December 17, 2018, 10:27:30 pm »
I've mostly migrated to the kids' academy class session at Sheffield, but I nipped into the adult group class today just to see what the other coach in the lesson was like (the previous session I went to only had the one coach when there're normally two). We warmed up and did some work on continuous 3 turns from the level 2 field moves before moving into upright spin. At this point I had a bit of a disagreement with the coach.

Context: Most anticlockwise spinners/jumpers enter upright spin with left arm leading. I tried to do this for a year and a half and never made any progress. I'm a little better at it these days if I give it a go but I can't stabilise the rotation at all. So, my last coach eventually decided to just let me try having right arm leading, which I'm told is more of an American technique and is just all-round highly unorthodox. I immediately started to improve at upright spin and, while I can't always nail it, I've made more progress with that technique than I've done since I've started skating.

So we get into spins and the coach comes round to take a look at my upright spin and she does the usual double-take that I'm using right arm forward. I'm used to this at this point (already had to justify it twice already and my last coach warned me this would be the case), so I break into my speech about how this is the only way I've made progress. She insisted on trying to fix the left arm leading approach. I politely gave it a go for the lesson and struggled constantly for the rest of the session.

I appreciate the value of trying a different approach and I liked her suggested alterations to my foot placement on entry and number of rotations before pulling in, because those felt like things I could carry back into my usual technique, but it was a little frustrating trying to do it the other way. I felt like, having explained it wasn't for me, she didn't try and work with what I had before suggesting something different. I appreciate that coaches don't get a lot of time to work with people in group lessons, so they're kinda jumping in and tweaking where they can, but it ended up being a bit frustrating for me.

We finished up with a bit of spiral work, which, to be fair, I do desperately need to work on, so that was good, but I was definitely reminded of how much more productive individual lessons are. Need to get a job so I can nail down a timetable and look for available coaches in free slots.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:30:55 pm by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3341 on: December 18, 2018, 04:50:45 pm »
Sunday we did program run throughs - our rink is small and I go so fast now we’ve had to tweak the placement of some elements because I was running out of ice!

Then we did some work on making my bunny hop higher.
Then inside 3s :(

Then coach had a break in lessons and was wearing his “serious skates” as he calls them - not his comfy coaching boots. So I got to see him skate properly. He ran every jump up to axel, a load of spins and generally blew my mind! We don’t have any men at his level, so to see how much power he has was fantastic and a little awe inspiring 😄

Then I practiced my spins (1 foot is consistently getting 2 rotations now) and then, because I was getting frustrated with spinning I did an inside edge figure 8. Worked on it for about half an hour - so relaxing 😌

Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3342 on: December 18, 2018, 11:12:43 pm »
The academy class today and we did 3 jumps, salchows and then I took a little detour of my own to try my flip and lutz. Afterwards we tried double 3s (I think they might be from level 2 field moves) and the alternating 3 turn pattern from another of the levels. Then, because it was Christmas, the coaches broke out the kids' hockey sticks and we had a runaround with those. We did a relay in teams across the ice and had a go at shooting at a goal. My aim was awful, but my puck control felt alright given that the kid hockey sticks were tiny compared to an adult's height (the stick was only about half as tall as I am) so I had to bust my back trying to keep hunched over. Nice to give it a go, I did enjoy pushing the puck around and the movements you had to make to keep up with it were very interesting (made me feel kinda slick in a way as I tried them), but I don't think I'll be switching over any time soon ;D

Squeeze

« Reply #3343 on: December 20, 2018, 08:24:17 pm »
I've mostly migrated to the kids' academy class session at Sheffield, but I nipped into the adult group class today just to see what the other coach in the lesson was like (the previous session I went to only had the one coach when there're normally two). We warmed up and did some work on continuous 3 turns from the level 2 field moves before moving into upright spin. At this point I had a bit of a disagreement with the coach.

Context: Most anticlockwise spinners/jumpers enter upright spin with left arm leading. I tried to do this for a year and a half and never made any progress. I'm a little better at it these days if I give it a go but I can't stabilise the rotation at all. So, my last coach eventually decided to just let me try having right arm leading, which I'm told is more of an American technique and is just all-round highly unorthodox. I immediately started to improve at upright spin and, while I can't always nail it, I've made more progress with that technique than I've done since I've started skating.

So we get into spins and the coach comes round to take a look at my upright spin and she does the usual double-take that I'm using right arm forward. I'm used to this at this point (already had to justify it twice already and my last coach warned me this would be the case), so I break into my speech about how this is the only way I've made progress. She insisted on trying to fix the left arm leading approach. I politely gave it a go for the lesson and struggled constantly for the rest of the session.

I appreciate the value of trying a different approach and I liked her suggested alterations to my foot placement on entry and number of rotations before pulling in, because those felt like things I could carry back into my usual technique, but it was a little frustrating trying to do it the other way. I felt like, having explained it wasn't for me, she didn't try and work with what I had before suggesting something different. I appreciate that coaches don't get a lot of time to work with people in group lessons, so they're kinda jumping in and tweaking where they can, but it ended up being a bit frustrating for me.

We finished up with a bit of spiral work, which, to be fair, I do desperately need to work on, so that was good, but I was definitely reminded of how much more productive individual lessons are. Need to get a job so I can nail down a timetable and look for available coaches in free slots.
Ah sacred voice I was also in that class! I've just graduated into bronze free.. struggling stupidly on spins too. I'm a clockwise spinner but coach had me attempt the other way, nope not happening for me either.
I find that class terrifying as it's all free skaters above skate uk 8 and I still feel like I can barely do most of the stuff! Say hi if you see me I'm the rubbish one! 😂

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy