Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354167 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3322 on: September 30, 2018, 12:31:34 pm »
Yesterday was soooo good!

Had a 45 minute lesson and really worked on my outside 3 turns, teapots and 2 foot spin. Coach danced round the ice when I did a 3 turn and my free foot didn’t instantly drop back onto the ice!

Loving my lessons right now!
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3323 on: September 30, 2018, 12:53:33 pm »
My spins have been slowly coming along recently which is a big relief as they seemed to be stalled for months. Every lesson my coach checks on my loop jump and curtsey pivot which I am finding tricky. With the loop I can do a small one when I'm near the barrier but I always wimp out in the middle of the ice.  :-\

I don't know whether it helps, but  always used to tell my pupils that there are no sharks under the ice... ;-)  Plus in the middle, you've no chance of whacking your head on the barrier!

...when I tried to cheerfully say "I'll just try it once as an experiment" she replied "it'll be the only time you will". She may be right even if I like it because I'm scared to ask for anything different now. Most of the other adults don't have their skates sharpened there but drive to Billingham instead - unfortunately since I don't drive that's harder for me but I can see why.

That's incredibly rude and appalling customer service!  If I was her boss, I'd be hauling her sorry backside over the coals for that one.  Can you ask a friendly driving person to maybe take your skates with them next time they get them ground at Billingham?
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3324 on: November 03, 2018, 01:10:31 pm »
Two lessons this week:

Thursday 1-2-1
Picked the elements for my free program for Glasgow
Worked on each of these in isolation and listened to my music to see where we can place things.

Today (Saturday) group class
Worked on our step sequence, which is:
Left pivot
Right forward inside 3 turn
Back crossover
Right back inside loop
Left forward outside 3 turn
Back crossover
Mohawk (LFI to RBI)

Then show rehearsal :)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3325 on: November 19, 2018, 07:32:58 am »
Been a while since anyone posted here, are you all just working on your own without lessons now?

Mine have been busy:

Thursday I had a lesson at another rink with a coach I work with for inclusive events. In an hour and a half we put together most of my free dance - just the step sequence to go in now.

Then I jumped on the train and went to my regular Thursday night lesson where we finished the choreography for my free skate. Neither are particularly easy programs! I’m excited to see how they develop over the next few months.

Saturday was show rehearsal - all good there.

Then yesterday was the first meeting of a small group lesson my main coach is starting. It’s all about footwork and turns etc. In that we did:
Warmup of consecutive forward outside edges
Consecutive forward inside edges
LFO3, step onto RBO, back onto LFO for another LFO3, and keep going
Forward crossrolls round the rink
Was supposed to be backwards crossrolls round the rink, but mine are so slow coach let me go forwards - we’ll work on those
LFO edge, RFI mohawk, backwards crossover, step to RFO edge, LFI mohawk, backwards crossover, repeat pattern down rink.
Finished with some cross behinds. Ugh, evil, Dong like them!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3326 on: November 19, 2018, 08:57:11 am »
I really enjoy your lessons, VIOI!  Especially that last one.  Edge class!  Epic!  I'm hoping to persuade at least one coach to organise edge classes when Plymouth's new rink is finally open.

By "cross behinds", do you mean backward runs (progressives) or crossed chasses?  Or something else entirely...?
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3327 on: November 19, 2018, 09:56:45 am »
I have no idea what they’re called - coach described it like a forwards crossover, but the foot crosses behind not in front...

Our coaches are really keen on making sure our edges are strong, so things like this are quite common.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3328 on: November 19, 2018, 11:23:08 am »
I have no idea what they’re called - coach described it like a forwards crossover, but the foot crosses behind not in front...

So are you travelling backwards or forwards when you do the cross behind?

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3329 on: November 19, 2018, 11:51:04 am »
Just to confuse things, apparently if you do it right (and aren’t too scared to cross your feet) you travel backwards... But it’s not a backwards cross roll.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3330 on: November 19, 2018, 03:02:35 pm »
Ah, so a backward run (also called a progressive) then?   :)  I've had people who were absolutely terrified of them and others who wondered what the fuss was about.  But you're certainly not alone in finding them scary.  Remember to bend your knees, which will make you more stable as well as facilitating a better push.  And also to breathe.  Seriously.  Don't hold your breath.  You'll tense up even more without realising it.

Leif

« Reply #3331 on: November 19, 2018, 03:10:50 pm »
I'm curious to know what these backwards runs are. As an aside, I've seen people doing backwards cross rolls in two ways, placing the foot down in front of them (facing back) or behind them (facing the direction of motion). I assume both are 'correct'.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3332 on: November 19, 2018, 04:15:18 pm »
Backward runs/progressives are a progressive step where the free foot is placed behind the skating foot but in the line of travel rather than actually crossed, as you travel in a backwards direction, ie LBo RBi, LBO RBi, and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6jY5u0rpoE

Backwards cross rolls involve skating a backward outside edge, taking the free foot behind the skating foot and putting it down onto a backward outside edge, rolling over slightly to put the foot down rather than bringing the feet together as you would in a series of linked curves.  If that makes any sense.  I know what you mean by crossing the foot over in front and doing it, but those aren't cross rolls.  Can't for the life of me remember what you call 'em, but they ain't cross rolls.

Cross rolls are here:-  (Well, after 1min 38seconds of historical guff!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7bgEPpje5o

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy