Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354131 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3223 on: March 04, 2018, 07:10:36 pm »
I’ve got the chance to take some World Figure Sport exams in April - I vaguely know what a paragraph loop is 😂

I asked a coach who had done figures in her youth, as they all did in those days, to teach me loop figures.  I am not great at them but I have found them oddly satisfying.  Curry I think does some paragraph loops here in this performance piece based on figures.  You may wish to avoid watching it as you may feel that we might as well all give up and go home as we'll never come close to what he did and it will never be bettered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXJqsoFwUic

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3224 on: March 06, 2018, 08:49:20 pm »
We've been working on the Lutz for the last four lessons and I finally landed it today - not just once either, several times! The bizarre part is I still don't feel like I'm executing it any differently to when I started, but somehow I have improved!? ??? ::)

Of course, the first time I felt I'd landed it well I yelled "I DID IT!" only to turn round and find out my coach hadn't been looking, a classic scenario in learning to skate ::)
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Leif

« Reply #3225 on: March 09, 2018, 10:03:42 am »
Had a Stick and Puck hockey session last night, and Mark - the coach - has started giving us far more drills before the scrimmage, which is excellent. In the past he would normally do very few drills, then scrimmage which the more experienced players prefer. Last night we did a simple skate in kit with a stick from one corner of the rink, going round each large circle, the first clockwise, the second anti clockwise, the third CW and so on until we reached the far corner. In the past I've always felt uncomfortable in the CW direction. Last night I felt really stable and comfortable in both directions.  :D I'm sure my crossovers were not of the highest order, but nevertheless lots of practicing CW and ACW crossovers when not in hockey kit is paying off.

We did another drill, which was turning with a stick and a puck, both CW and ACW, and tight turns with a stick and a puck both CW and ACW. I really cannot do either. I can do tight turns without a stick and puck. But throw in both stick and puck, and it all goes to pieces!  :-[ Ah well, something left to work on, although getting ice time in hockey kit with stick and puck is not easy.  :)

FamilySkater

« Reply #3226 on: March 11, 2018, 02:52:33 pm »
More swizzles/lemons  ::)
I'm going to be so good at whatever they're leading on to when we get there  ;D

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3227 on: March 11, 2018, 03:04:36 pm »
Thursday:
More program work and ran through compulsory elements. Got a few things to work on with those.

Saturday:
Drags - trying to get the back knee down. Can do it, but then I fall out of it, sort of sideways and onto my hands. Sigh. Fell 3 times, 4th time stayed upright but spun round.
Change of edge - can do this on my left foot now, outside to inside edge :)
Twizzles - I can sort of do one, on my right foot. Only one, mind.
Finished with some off ice core work.

Also skated my competition routine at our club showcase last night and worked on a duet for the Easter show, alongside lesson and normal show rehearsal.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3228 on: March 11, 2018, 09:55:56 pm »
More swizzles/lemons  ::)
I'm going to be so good at whatever they're leading on to when we get there  ;D

Please tell me that you do other things in your lesson?  Not just swizzles/lemons...?

I think I'd be asking the teacher what is expected and where you're going with this.  And if you could have something else to work on too, please, as you're beginning to feel a bit fed up with the lemons.  I don't think that's unreasonable.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

FamilySkater

« Reply #3229 on: March 11, 2018, 11:50:51 pm »
Please tell me that you do other things in your lesson?  Not just swizzles/lemons...?

Yes. We did half swizzles. Might it have been you who said they were good things to do?

To be fair I was a confident recreational skater to start with whereas some started from never having been on ice before. And I'm very motivated, I've been doing lots of balancing and stretching and bending my knees at home between lessons.

Have already decided though that this will be my last batch of group lessons.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3230 on: March 11, 2018, 11:54:57 pm »
Yes. We did half swizzles. Might it have been you who said they were good things to do?

Don't think so, but yes, they are good things to do!  Half swizzles should, ideally, get you working both sides individually.  It's surprisingly difficult to do, to get things even!

Have already decided though that this will be my last batch of group lessons.

I think that's probably the right decision.  Keep that motivation level high!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3231 on: March 13, 2018, 09:03:47 pm »
Today was more jump work for the most part. Salchow and toe loop were fine, I managed to get my foot to noticeably cross over onto my picking leg for my flip, which my coach was super pleased about because I haven't managed that before. Loop was a bit 'eh' on first run but I got out an okay one second time round. My Lutz isn't what I would call "consistent" but my coach showed me a much better action for my hands that she said improved the overall quality, giving it a lighter feeling from her point of view. It did feel a bit better to perform but I didn't get a lot of chance to play with it.

We spent some time working on 3 jump->loop as substitution for the Axel, mostly focused on arm positioning going through the 3 jump. It was kinda alarming in a way because bringing my right arm round and into my body the way she described really showed me how much rotational force you could get out of them when done properly.

Then we did some more pivot into two-footed backspin for the Axel, as well as an attempt at upright spins, which she did technically improve, but I will no doubt forget all over again next time I go to practise them because my spins are a mess and I hate them :-\

Oh and we also discussed how men obtained twirly, thin moustaches and what the impact a small amount of alcohol would do to my skating. Hardly working? ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 09:24:02 pm by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Florence

« Reply #3232 on: March 14, 2018, 05:15:38 am »
I did swizzles this week too. It was great  :D  But as much as I like a change, I can understand why you wouldn't want to do them all the time.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:13:16 pm by Florence »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3233 on: March 14, 2018, 07:41:13 pm »
In the general class at my Wednesday morning "Coach & Skate" session, we did the Rhythm Blues, as it was "dance week".  Because the rink I skate at is a weird, kidney shape, it's really difficult to fit dance patterns in properly, but this one almost works.  I have to rein it in a bit but...  I had a lovely time demonstrating and suddenly realised that I rather like my new dance boots after all!  Time to sell the perfectly good but uncomfortably tight "old" pair...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy