Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354108 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3201 on: February 13, 2018, 09:51:56 am »
Forgot to post about Saturday's lesson :D

Our club has purchased some Champion Cords, so we have a play with those. They helped sort my backwards crossovers in my weaker direction - I was so focused on my arms, my feet just did what they needed to, on their own  O0

Then we did some spirals - backwards spirals are awful, I dislike them immensely at the moment.

Spins are progressing - worked on the 1 foot spin for a bit, then coach decided to introduce us to the backspin. That just feels weird right now, but I sort of like it.

Other lesson has now become our show rehearsal, and we've got a good routine, more difficult choreography than I'm used to, but I love it! Coach is getting some of us to do barrel rolls - in his words "I'm not messing around with this, we're upping the difficulty"! Oh yeah, you are! He did ask if I'd be OK, as my mohawks aren't the best, but I need to push myself, so I'm gonna practice and stick with it.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3202 on: February 13, 2018, 08:32:08 pm »
For me today was such a mixed bag, so much so I didn't know whether to post here or in "things you didn't achieve".

Bad news: It was half term and the first public session of the day was rammed. They didn't have time to do a double ice cut between that and the lunchtime patch session so a lot of the damage from the public session persisted through the patch, which was annoying. The afternoon public was even more hellish (I didn't even bother going on), but the evening patch was fine as they had time to do a double cut.
Good news: Flip was pretty great, it's been nice seeing improvement in this as weeks have gone by.
Bad news: Salchow (my favourite) has just gone all over the show, I used to be relatively consistent but the entry felt really weird every time I tried today.
Good news: I finally managed to improve my toe loop when doing a clockwise crossover run up (I have a lot of trouble transitioning from the step out of the crossovers to actually doing the jump, I know all I have to do is take like a few steps, but I just can't get it straight in my head - flip is much easier in that regard).
Bad news: Loop has basically gone, I know the steps, but since my coach has asked me to strengthen and hold the back right outside glide before doing the jump then I can barely do it at all anymore, and I'm almost never getting my arms in the right position because I'm thinking about holding the leg position so much.
Good news: I actually made some progress on my upright spin, I was able to do several consistent
Bad news: My blades are desperately in need of a sharpen, but our regular touring skate sharpener has been ejected from the rink in a cloud of complicated rink politics that I don't know enough about to have a meaningful opinion on. A new guy has arrived to replace him, but I've almost killed him twice now on the ice and haven't plucked up the nerve to speak to him about sharpening as a result.

Highs and lows, highs and lows... ::)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:36:46 pm by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Florence

« Reply #3203 on: February 20, 2018, 08:57:31 am »
It is so annoying when you can''t do somethings you have done before! I feel your pain sacred voice!

Last lesson week before assessment week. Still no inside 3 turn, but in all fairness I only skated once last week so couldn't really expect miracles!

Practiced afterwards on public with mini me, and got a ... "that was a really good one mom"   :D

only for her then to proceed to show me how to improve further and showed me a lovely twizzle  :-[  ???? It was a source of amusement to us both when I pointed out I was attempting a 3 turn not a twizzle!

Think this week am going to practice backward edges and landing position as is possibly where I am going wrong. I make the turn but either stop dead (because I am on an inside edge) or twirl round on the spot. If I am more confident with back outside edges maybe it will help after the turn? And tbh I need to practice backward edges for back edge to front inside curve, mine are still too straight.

Snufkin

« Reply #3204 on: February 20, 2018, 09:14:08 am »
Florence - I also found it a lot harder to learn to check the turn on forward inside threes than outside. I think you're on to something, the ability to balance yourself right away into a confident backwards edge probably is a big help there.

I'm working on my first little competition routine at the moment. It's just a basic learn to skate progress competition, not a proper programme with jumps and spins. Which I think is exactly the kind of thing I need to do because I've never done anything that involves performing in front of people before, and getting practice in that will be helpful without having to concentrate on challenging skating as well.

Overall the routine is not very difficult but at one point I have to do a few consecutive three turns with my arms in fifth position over my head and for some reason, putting my arms up suddenly makes my three turns an uncontrolled mess ;D Even though it's only really my shoulders and hips that I rotate during a three turn and I can still do that perfectly well with my arms in the air. Ah well. Practice practice.
Started skating August 2017

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3205 on: February 20, 2018, 10:33:11 pm »
I'm working on my first little competition routine at the moment. It's just a basic learn to skate progress competition, not a proper programme with jumps and spins. Which I think is exactly the kind of thing I need to do because I've never done anything that involves performing in front of people before, and getting practice in that will be helpful without having to concentrate on challenging skating as well.

This is probably something I'd really benefit from but, as I've described many times, my rink has a rather lax regard for making adults go through the Skate UK stuff in strict progression so I never did it; colour me jealous! On the topic of programmes though, one of my rink mates dumped me in it today by casually mentioning to my coach that the adult British championships are in June, so she then starts asking if I wanted to do it. I've already decided that I won't compete until 2019 and I don't want to spend the next four months trying to put something together quite quickly, plus my spins are still pretty abysmal even if my jumps are currently more than enough for the level I'd be applying for. We compromised with me agreeing that I would go and watch the adult nationals this year to get a feel for it.

My lesson today was mostly about solidifying stuff, just went through all the jumps and they all felt a bit more solid, which was great - even my Salchow had returned from its wobble last week. Did some more work on the Lutz, which I think I can claim I improved on during the lesson, but it's really hard to tell because it's a disgusting jump that shouldn't deserve to exist. Then we had a quick first bash at sit spin afterwards, which I couldn't do in any way comfortably but still managed to sneak out two revolutions before collapsing; at least there's not far to fall!

Speaking of falling, I fell really hard on my right buttock doing a humble toe loop, so much so that I cannot currently sit normally on a chair because the pain is quite intense. Less than ideal but I'll survive. Back to the bright side though and I was introduced to the new rink sharpener at my rink so I can get them sharpened at some point!
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3206 on: February 21, 2018, 08:50:56 pm »
Today I went to another rink, to meet a coach who is going to "adopt" me for the competition I'm entering, as my coach is away at Blackpool that week and this lady has other skaters heading to Glasgow.

Fabulous time, just getting used to "faster" ice - didn't know that was a thing! But apparently it's exactly how the ice at Glasgow feels, so that's good :) Got most of my routine plotted out (larger ice surface) and worked on a few elements.

Managed some pretty good spins - 6 revs on 2 feet was pretty spectacular for me! I did squeal a bit though, I wasn't expecting to just... GO!

I'm going back on Wednesday, because I've got 6 weeks exactly until the first skating day of the competition.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3207 on: February 21, 2018, 11:10:41 pm »
The normal coach for today's session was sick so a different one stepped in.  Very different exercises.  Challenging on many different levels.  Good fun.

And now I can't walk.  I'm literally in bed with a swollen right knee.  Might have overdone it...

Oopsy.    ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:34:51 pm by WednesdayMarch »
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

FamilySkater

« Reply #3208 on: February 25, 2018, 03:23:56 pm »
Really enjoyed my lesson today. We raced through loads of stuff covering the next few levels and it gave me ideas for things to practice off ice to strengthen the correct muscles. I'm thinking that balance and co-ordination will be improved as a side effect of stronger muscles.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3209 on: February 26, 2018, 12:00:09 am »
The normal coach for today's session was sick so a different one stepped in.  Very different exercises.  Challenging on many different levels.  Good fun.

And now I can't walk.  I'm literally in bed with a swollen right knee.  Might have overdone it...

Oopsy.    ;D

Isn't it amazing when you have a different coach step in every now and then? The alternative perspective you get on things can provide a surprising revelation!

Florence

« Reply #3210 on: February 27, 2018, 10:41:02 am »
Florence - I also found it a lot harder to learn to check the turn on forward inside threes than outside. I think you're on to something, the ability to balance yourself right away into a confident backwards edge probably is a big help there.

Thank you, It is nice to have someone else agree with your logic as sometimes my logic is skewed! Only had one day practice and was very busy public session so will try this week!

How exciting, bet it's nice to be able to do something with all you have learn't so far! Hope it is going well x

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3211 on: February 27, 2018, 08:29:26 pm »
We've been learning the Lutz for the last few weeks in my lessons, mostly just practise exercises and build ups to the actual thing, but today we mostly just tried to put it together. We tried it over and over in today's lesson, my coach was determined for me to crack it. The weird thing is, I don't really feel like I'm doing it any better than I have done before, but apparently what I'm doing now is better? :-\

My problem at the moment is I don't really bring my left leg up into my body as I do the jump, so the left leg is constantly what I land onto as I come down again, essentially just two-footing the landing a lot at the moment. The entry still feels really silly, but hey, that's the Lutz for you :P ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy