Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354331 times)

Snufkin

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3135 on: November 11, 2017, 12:51:07 pm »
Yes, very exciting! ;D Have you decided on programme music?
Started skating August 2017

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3136 on: November 11, 2017, 02:35:59 pm »
Yep got that sorted - skating to The Climb by Miley Cyrus. Had an email confirming some things we weren’t sure about so the proper choreography can start when I have my next lesson :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3137 on: November 14, 2017, 08:40:25 pm »
This week's lesson I had to chicken out of practising my jumps because the thigh muscle on my jumping and landing leg lately has been like "urr, this is painful, have you ever thought about exercising me once in a while before making me work?" I'd actually been worried about the pain for a while because I hadn't been able to source whether the strain was in the knee or the thigh. Knee would be a disaster because that would end my jumping pretty much straight off, but thigh would be fine as that's just needing more muscle strength.

So, for the first bit of my lesson, my coach ran diagnostics on me and figured it was probably my thigh, which I agree is probably the case, so I've been prescribed squats to do in my spare time.

Meanwhile, we worked on my upright and back spins. My upright spin has always been terrible, it's what's preventing me from making progress to pretty much anything else in the spins department, but we actually made really nice progress on it in the lesson, I actually got a few decently centred and I'm getting better at keeping my leg out initially then bringing it in and straightening my skating leg as I rotate - easily the best spins I've ever done today. Back spin was new though, we're working on it as build up to the Axel jump and beyond, just doing a basic pivot and lift onto one foot at the moment - at least I have some stuff I feel better about practising now that won't strain my thigh too much!
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Florence

« Reply #3138 on: November 21, 2017, 09:20:47 am »
It is hard when you have random leg pains, because The hip, knee and ankle all effect each other (and all in between) so is hard to pin point where the problem actually is! hope your squats sort it for you! Stronger muscles are always good to support the joints!

My lesson was assessment week. Didn't pass the level but fully expected not to and tbh wouldn't have wanted to because know what is coming up in next level so want to be confident in the level 5 stuff.

Really didn't feel like skating and if hadn't been assessment week I really would have give it a miss this time (but I didn't want anyone to think I was wussing out on assessment lol ) tired , headache, hormones  = lack motivation. I had about 3 hours sleep as had to have my 16yr old little doggy put to sleep Friday and yesterday was the first day coming home to an empty house after night shift  :-[  Just couldn't get to sleep.

But all is good on the skating front, feel have really progressed this last few weeks and am confident can pass at the end of this next set of lessons. Plus am going to have more time to practice over the next few weeks.  :)

Snufkin

« Reply #3139 on: November 21, 2017, 09:29:28 am »
I'm so sorry about your dog, Florence :( It's extremely dedicated of you to go skating despite those circumstances! No wonder you are making great progress.
Started skating August 2017

Florence

« Reply #3140 on: November 21, 2017, 09:42:02 am »
Thank you  :)  more of a distraction than dedication really! Plus my daughter told me she needed to read her school book, which she then forgot and left in the car anyway lol!

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3141 on: January 14, 2018, 09:26:11 am »
Yesterday I had my regular group lesson - it’s more a performance class so we do all manner of strange things! All adapted to everyone’s different levels.

We did:
Slaloms to music, crossing over round the corners of the rink.
Learnt and practiced the Novice Foxtrot - loved this! Unfortunately I was paired with the youngest and smallest girl in the group so skating in hold was a challenge.
Worked on timing jumps to music cues - in my case though, I’d skate backwards and then do a backwards dip. Coach has said I can begin attempting back teapots when we do this one in future. Or I can bunny hop if he decides to make me go forwards :) Hopefully soon I’ll be joining the jump circle with a 3 jump or something.
Worked on doing elements as a pair - me and my partner did a nice circle of crossovers holding hands, then went into teapots :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

FamilySkater

« Reply #3142 on: January 14, 2018, 01:21:51 pm »
I had my first lesson, it was a beginner's group and ability ranged from very wobbly to backward confident. I found that I need to practice backwards marching, not sure why I find it so hard as I can do backward swizzles okay.

WednesdayMarch

« Reply #3143 on: January 14, 2018, 01:54:39 pm »
VIOI, that sounds like a brilliant lesson!  Way to go!

Family Skater, backwards marching involves lifting a foot off the ice whilst travelling backwards.  Quite a difference from travelling backwards with two feet on the ice and a very different movement.  Keep practicing and you'll get it.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #3144 on: January 14, 2018, 06:48:54 pm »
The key thing with backwards marching is to point your toes inward - ideally more or less touching.  If you also keep your heels close you will gain less speed and have more control, if your heels are further apart you'll pick up speed more quickly.  And you really do need to march - think of picking your knees up.  It's magic - you  will start to move backwards without any conscious "pushing".

I'm not a big fan of lemons, backward or forward.  I don't understand what they are meant to achieve.  It does teach you how to push into the ice with your skate to propel you, but I think a HALF lemon is way more useful. In a half lemon you  keep one foot on a flat edge, under you.  It combines the pushing with weight transfer - your weight starts 50-50 but then you keep more of your weight over your skating foot.  To accentuate this you can push on the knee (well bent!) with your hands.  You can do this backwards and forwards.  It is the basis of correct forward and backward stroking.  It sounds really simple but I have seen many skaters after a year or more of lessons who cannot keep the skate under them in a straight line.  With a full lemon there is no weight transfer so the habit of having your weight 50-50 just gets perpetuated.  A lot of people never really get past that and lose interest/get discouraged because they never develop the stabilty and control you get from being able to transfer weight correctly.

This is pushing rather than a half lemon but it's pretty similar.  IMO this is THE exercise to do over and over again to develop good basic foward and backward skating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3WEi0p5TA

FamilySkater

« Reply #3145 on: January 14, 2018, 09:14:35 pm »
The key thing with backwards marching is to point your toes inward - ideally more or less touching.  If you also keep your heels close you will gain less speed and have more control, if your heels are further apart you'll pick up speed more quickly.  And you really do need to march - think of picking your knees up.  It's magic - you  will start to move backwards without any conscious "pushing".

Yes! This is what I found. I didn't want to go faster though as I got wobblier and then started to lean forward and fall onto my inside edges. I'm hoping if I practice it slowly it'll lead into backward one foot glides, I can't quite find the right place for my weight when going backwards on one foot.

I think a HALF lemon is way more useful. In a half lemon you  keep one foot on a flat edge, under you.  It combines the pushing with weight transfer - your weight starts 50-50 but then you keep more of your weight over your skating foot.  To accentuate this you can push on the knee (well bent!) with your hands.  You can do this backwards and forwards

Thank you, and for the video too. I will practice this a lot.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy