Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 250705 times)

Leif

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3333 on: November 20, 2018, 08:16:49 AM »
Thanks WednesdayMarch, very informative. I've seen hockey coaches and NHL players amongst others doing 'not cross rolls' and some call them a backwards scissors skate. No idea if that is the 'proper' name.

Emmax

« Reply #3334 on: November 24, 2018, 09:01:17 PM »
Hi, im one of those that get theirs done at Billingham. I find I have no adjustment unless I change the hollow. If you ever want your skates taking down or a lift and come down too i'm happy to take them. :) 

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3335 on: November 29, 2018, 06:59:16 PM »
I am actually able to contribute to this thread once again! :D I moved into Sheffield about two weeks ago and I took the plunge this week to join up to the adult classes here. Firstly, I was absolutely blown away by how many adult skaters there were in for the group lessons when I showed up. There were something like 8-12 in every level from 1-5 on the first session. I was initially told to get off and come back for the 6-Gold+ session that was on a bit later. Got back on and we warmed up with some basic stroking, alternating twizzles (I'm shocking at twizzles), forward cross rolls and two-foot slaloms with 3-turns in the middle. The larger group broke into ice dance/free skater groups and the coach for the free skate group said she'd had a request to go over some basics, so we did crossovers (forwards & back, both ways) and then worked our way through some jumps and touched on upright spin towards the end.

At the end, the coach suggested I might like to do the kids academy lesson that was on the next day, so I went back to do that, there was one other adult there so I didn't feel a fool. We ran through some of the early level field move exercises (crossovers to landing glide, straight spiral position, consecutive inside and outside edges) before working on 3 jumps and Salchows.

Overall, nothing I haven't covered before, but I haven't skated in so long that I was in so much pain the next few days, my glutes in particular! ;D For now I'm planning to continue with both groups so I don't have to commit to a coach before finding a job up here - we'll see how it goes!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:01:38 PM by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

black

• Skate free
« Reply #3336 on: November 30, 2018, 07:06:41 PM »
we'll see how it goes!

Well done - there is also a number of off-ice classes there too - flexibility, dance, jump rotation, and I think one of the coaches does a (pairs/dance) lifts class too.
Sliding on frozen water is the easy part of ice skating.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3337 on: December 01, 2018, 01:15:45 PM »
Thursday night we did my step sequence for level 10, then ran program a couple of times, making some minor timing changes and tidying up a few elements.

Tomorrow is coach’s new fortnightly edge and footwork class again. Looking forward to that.
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Finished Skate UK: 29/11/2018
Inclusive Skater :)

Florence

« Reply #3338 on: December 06, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »
I moved into Sheffield about two weeks ago and I took the plunge this week to join up to the adult classes here.

How lovely! Of the rinks I visited so far Sheffield is my favourite! Hope you enjoy it.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3339 on: December 06, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
This week's "groupy thing" (an informal group lesson on a Wednesday morning) decided to be "dance week" and we did the Rhythm Blues, one of those new-fangled dances that I struggle to keep in my head beyond "Left, right, run...".  Reckon I might remember it this time.  I can still remember it 24 hours later, so that's a major improvement!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Graf Dance boots and MK Dance blades. It's still a bit slippery...