Author Topic: What did you do in today's lesson?  (Read 354125 times)

FamilySkater

Re: What did you do in today's lesson?
« Reply #3234 on: March 19, 2018, 05:42:39 pm »
Swizzles  ;D

This time on a circle.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3235 on: March 19, 2018, 06:13:15 pm »
Swizzles  ;D

This time on a circle.

I'm gonna be having words with your group's coach! >:(
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #3236 on: March 19, 2018, 06:38:08 pm »
Swizzles  ;D

This time on a circle.

AGAIN?!

I think we're all going to be having a word with your group's coach.  Please tell me it wasn't just swizzles...?  Please?!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

FamilySkater

« Reply #3237 on: March 19, 2018, 06:55:02 pm »
AGAIN?!

I think we're all going to be having a word with your group's coach.  Please tell me it wasn't just swizzles...?  Please?!

Haha, no. We also skated with one foot in front of the other, also on a circle. I think we might be building up to crossovers.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3238 on: March 19, 2018, 07:35:31 pm »
Which rink is this?? We can go have words with your coach in a big group  >:(

Forgot to add my bits in:

Thursday was more program polishing.

Saturday we did:
Backwards crossovers in both directions - both sides are nearly as good as each other now!
Twizzles - I’m still no good at them.
Alternating 3 turns - outsides were fun, insides were less fun!
Mohawks - these are ok on one side, awful on the other.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3239 on: March 20, 2018, 05:05:31 pm »
More jumping for my lesson today. My coach optimistically said she wanted to get Axel done today, but (unsurprisingly) that didn't happen ::) ;D

We did have a few bashes at the Axel, but I'm just a mess of limbs when I do it. I keep trying to remember to get my legs in the right position at the same time as my arms and it's just like "ARGH SO MUCH COORDINATION REQUIRED WHILE TRYING TO ROTATE 1.5 TIMES!"

In other news, my flip and loop were pretty good pre-lesson but in lesson the flip evaporated/was a total mess and my loop was ehhh. Lutz is surprisingly solid, despite my initial reservations about it. All in all, I felt like I had a good, productive day, even if my jumps were a bit so-so during my lesson.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Carrie

« Reply #3240 on: March 27, 2018, 03:19:37 pm »
Had a really enjoyable lesson yesterday.  Had missed skating the previous week because coach had cancelled lesson on the Monday and then I didn’t feel too well by the Wednesday!

My usual speed of skating on my own is “tortoise speed” and when my dance lesson starts I am expected to up the speed to “hare”.  To help this, I have recently started my lesson with the novice foxtrot.  Yesterday’s public session was much quieter than it has been for weeks and I felt we were doing it like this:  dance starts at about 3 mins.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCYDgvr_ZQ 

Expect it was a figment of my imagination but we were definitely doing large lobes.  The tune was Chanson d’amour, not the set music in the video.  Then followed the Willow Waltz, Swing Dance and Tulips from Amsterdam, which is a Viennese Waltz.  I have trouble with the restart of the dance because the left 3-turn is from Killian hold, so that involved a few stops and starts!!  The final few minutes were spent on the LFO Mohawk from the 14-step.  Coach says I do too much work with my right foot and not enough with the left.  Will keep trying.

Squeeze

« Reply #3241 on: March 27, 2018, 10:10:00 pm »
First week in level 5, I felt unusually anxious as I love my lessons but I'd had a quick look at what level 5 covers and forward crossovers scare me stupid! I've sort of attempted them before and couldn't get anywhere near a cross leg position. Luckily coach from this class was lovely and held my hand and I did them by myself after a while, well in a clunky sloppy way!!
We briefly touched on outside three turns... I'm never going to get them😂

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #3242 on: March 28, 2018, 02:38:54 am »
I completely failed to land flip today, loop was also a bit of a mess. It's such a shame because flip was such a consistent jump for me until I started thinking about holding the inside edge coming out of the 3 turn before picking in. I picked up this weird mistake in Salchow as well where I'm switching to outside edge as I try to hold the inside edge coming out of the 3 turn. I tried to blame my blades (which desperately need a sharpen), but my coach gave me the ol' 1-2 about poor workmen blaming their tools. I later went on to do a perfectly fine one later in the day so that wasn't so bad.

We talked a lot about arm positioning for the flip and loop today, which I struggled IMMENSELY with. I can't get my right arm into the right position and my coach and I spent ages trying to get it in the right place and I just wasn't getting it, I think I might be overthinking it somewhat because I feel like this should be fairly simple. Anyway, that all contributed to making the flip and loop even worse (although when I slowed loop down and got the right arm position then it did feel much nicer). The problem is, every time I tweak one thing then another goes awry, like I started forgetting to bend my knee more in order to do an effective reach back for the pick into the flip - and because that's way more important than the arms then it meant the whole thing started falling apart.

More bashes at 3 jump + loop, which was actually much more consistent after a few practise runs. Lutz was absolutely fine, but I'm still doing it relatively slowly compared to my other jump speeds.

All in all, not amazing, but I learned some interesting stuff to think on so that's something.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #3243 on: April 20, 2018, 08:46:42 am »
In last Saturday’s performance class we got back to normal after the Easter show and subsequent holidays. We did some clapping and kicking exercises to work on our timing first.

Then we did a wheel - I’m getting more comfortable with going faster as I’m usually close to the outside.

Then we had a choice, on ice exercises or go off and put a routine together - myself and 2 friends chose the latter! The routine had to have a spin, a spiral and a jump (done by different people) and a portion of synchronised skating. What we put together was very well received by the group coach.

Then yesterday I had a private lesson, to start work on my artistic routine for June’s competition. This went well, we both love the music and the choreography has some of my favourite stuff in it.

This Saturday I’ll be back at performance class and my regular small group so that’ll be a lot of skating this week.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Laimelde

« Reply #3244 on: April 21, 2018, 07:07:53 am »
First week in level 5, I felt unusually anxious as I love my lessons but I'd had a quick look at what level 5 covers and forward crossovers scare me stupid!

Hey Squeeze, I was properly terrified of crossovers too! That moment when you cross one leg over the other always felt so dangerous, like I was intentionally putting myself in an unstable position where the risk of falling was dramatically higher, and it just made no logical sense to me to be trying to do this move at all!  ;D

I can assure you it gets better! Make sure you're bending your knees as much as you can - it makes the crossover easier and lowers your centre of gravity and makes you more stable, so the move becomes a tiny bit less scary. (Only time and practice will take away the rest of the fear.)

You'll get your 3 turns too - they took me forever but now outside 3s are one of my favourite moves!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy