Author Topic: Your ultimate skating ambition?  (Read 10447 times)

natasha131

Re: Your ultimate skating ambition?
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 01:00:18 pm »
hello, im 17 years old and have always wanted to have a go at skating, i have attempted it before for fun and really enjoyed it, do you think i am too old to have lessons now and does anybody have any ideas of who is good for private tuition as i dont want to embarass myself lol!! thanks guys its much appreciated  :) :-* x

funontheice

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 01:52:57 pm »
You're definitely not too old to have lessons! What's your nearest ice rink?

Natalie

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 02:26:10 pm »
You are DEFINITELY not too old!! I wish I'd started having lessons at 17!! I started at 25, so think how good you will be at my age if you start now!

caffn8me

• Global Moderator
  • Womble on ice (Novice)
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 03:34:59 pm »
Natasha, you are most certainly not too old.  One of the skaters at the rink today was in his seventies!  I started skating lessons at 42.  You have oodles of time ahead of you in which to get really good.  Just go for it and have a great time doing so!  You might be able to do group lessons in a Skate UK course at your local rink just to try things out and see how you get on but private lessons are the way to go if you're serious.

Sarah

Skate UK start: 24/02/09
Met The Ice Mouse: 27/03/09
Broke wrist: 24/04/09
NISA L1 FM pass: 29/03/10
English Style Prelim test: 7/08/11
Working on: L2, L3, L4 FM, L1 Comp.Dance

Spiders on coffee

vcsk8

• Love to Spiral
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 04:41:08 pm »
Absolutely not too old Natasha.  Go for it and have a great time.  I started in March this year and I'm 54!!!
It's never ever too late ;)

Let us know how you get on

Val
Started Skate Uk  21/03/09
Passed Level 10   May 09
Passed SUK Bronze Free Jun 09 Bronze Dance Jul 09
Passed SUK Silver and Gold Free, Silver and Gold Dance Aug 09
L1 FM July 2010
L1 CD Jan 2011
2011 Trophy D'Ecosse International Adult Synchro Bronze - The Misfits

iluv2skate

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 04:48:24 pm »
[
My ultimate, ultimate would be to dance the Starlight Waltz with my coach before I'm 50! (Ugh that sounds sooooo old!)

Sorry - didn't mean to offend anyone 50 or over,  I only have 4 years to go and I think I'll need it to master the Starlight!

Natasha, you are DEFINATELY not too old, one of my skating buddies is 69 and she is brill, even does tap dancing so go for it, enjoy and have fun! :)

iluv2skate

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 04:52:10 pm »
Val - You have flown through UK Skate and already completed Bronze Dance - that's pretty nifty!  Had you skated before or are a natural?  Where do you skate?  Sorry, just being curious!  :)

vcsk8

• Love to Spiral
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 06:40:58 pm »
No I hadn't skated skated before, and I didn't realise until I came on the forum that it was quite quick progression. 

Am slowing down now though that I'm on passport and my coach is quite tough and wants everything right. ::)

I think what did help me a lot is that I was a dancer, mainly ballet  ( not professional I have to say as  had to have an operation on my foot at 17) until my late twenties and I definitely think it must help a lot with my balance and posture. 

I now though, like so many others on the forum really regret not having taken it  up as a youngster, but it's expensive now, it would have seemed even more so then to my family and not possible I don't think.

Nonetheless I feel like I have a second go at things now, and I can't tell you how much pleasure it is giving me.
I skate at Blackburn and they are fantastic with me and definitely don't treat me as an older person to be humoured, I have to work as hard as everyone and that's great.

Val x
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:43:22 pm by vcsk8 »
Started Skate Uk  21/03/09
Passed Level 10   May 09
Passed SUK Bronze Free Jun 09 Bronze Dance Jul 09
Passed SUK Silver and Gold Free, Silver and Gold Dance Aug 09
L1 FM July 2010
L1 CD Jan 2011
2011 Trophy D'Ecosse International Adult Synchro Bronze - The Misfits

hanca

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2009, 08:19:18 pm »
It is NISA level 6 so I can do level 2 coaching and hopefully make a progressive transfer over to that as my main job if not my only job. I would also like to design and make custom blades to the individual skaters requirements, possibly as part of a business

Do you mean just field moves level six, or do you mean also the elements and free?

If you mean elements too. are you aware that you will need axel, double Salchow, double Toe Loop, Jump combination consisting of Axel and Double Toe Loop, Flying Camel spin, Sit-Change Sit spin, Camel-Change Camel spin, Layback spin or Crossfoot spin etc. (just wrote a few of the elements from level 5 and 6; those that I think may cause me a bit of problem  :) )

zara

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2009, 08:44:36 pm »
My new goal is to have an ice rink to skate at :-[
Looks like ours is closing.
Might be able to (at a push) manage to skate once a week at rink 2hours away, but that's not really enough to progress to my aim of that axel and double sal :(

zara

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2009, 08:50:38 pm »
Just found out rink has closed :(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy