Author Topic: how many ice rinks have you skated on?  (Read 34176 times)

The Sacred Voice

Re: how many ice rinks have you skated on?
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2017, 05:55:59 pm »
I initially thought my answer would just be the rink I'm at regularly at the moment, but that's because I was thinking about when I was actually learning to skate. When I thought more about it then I realised I've actually been to all the following:

- Swindon, when I was in my early teens, a little girl cut me up and fell straight over in front of me in the process. I had to half-jump, half-emergency-fall to clear her. I had no skating experience whatsoever, it was amazing everyone got out in one piece
- Tamworth's Snowdome, early teens again, I'd just had a terrible beginner skiing lesson there and my family were consoling me with an alternative activity
- Bournemouth's temporary rink (it was a seasonal one but I don't think it was just covering Christmas), went with some friends when I was 17 on our road/camping trip together - I can't actually remember if I skated or not because I remember standing off the ice taking photos. I think I went on at some point...
- Oxford, this is my local rink where I'm training at the mo
- Gloucester's temporary Christmas rink, it was a joke, literally tiny, but I was desperate to skate.
- Queens Ice Rink in London, I've dropped by here twice in the past when I was visiting London. I know there are better rinks than that one in London, but it was the most convenient for the time and travel consideration while I was there.

Think that's it. More than I thought though, all those childhood ones!
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Florence

« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2017, 01:55:12 pm »

Trentham outdoor pop upDerby outdoor
Cardiff (New)
Isle of Wight
Widnes
Snowdome Tamworth
Cannock
Telford
Birmingham
Solihull
Uttoxeter
Sheffield
Nottingham
Basingstoke
Coventry

And now Doncaster Dome which my daughter says is her new favourite! Definateley going back to this one again  :) 
Outdoor rinks next I guess.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 01:57:22 pm by Florence »

Leif

« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2017, 01:27:40 pm »
Went to Gosport on Saturday so the list is:

Gosport (tiny)
Streatham (London)
Alexandra Palace (London)
Queens (London)
Slough
Leicester
Guildford
Bracknell
Basingstoke
Plymouth
Montreal, no idea which one, probably near L'Universite de Montreal, Canada
A frozen lake in the Laurentians, Canada
Various frozen ornamental ponds in Montreal, Canada, used as public rinks in the winter.

Gosport is small, and the ice was pants, which seems to be par for the course for Planet Ice rinks. Basingstoke ice is usually AWFUL at the weekends. It's not possible to do any practice once the ice has been churned up by many hours of figure and public skating. You just lose your edges when trying anything.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2017, 01:53:34 pm »
I used to teach at Gosport!  It's always been a small rink (not the smallest, though) but the ice used to be good.  Such a shame to hear it's not good now.  Basingstoke used to be great when I trained there.  I'm sad to hear that it's getting really run down now.  I was going to visit if I had chance when I'm next up in Darkest Hampshire but maybe not...   :(

I bit the bullet and coughed up the £50 for a Skater's Pass at the Eden Project.  That gets me into the EP any time until the ice rink closes after February half term and allows me to skate for half price, which means it's £3.50 for each 40 minute session rather than £7.  It's quite pricy but it's also closer to me than Plymouth, with no bridge tolls or car parking so I'm determined to make as much use of it as I can over the winter.  Aiming to go at least twice a week.  Obviously it's a small rink but the ice is quite nice and it's not usually crowded for the earlier sessions during the week.

So that's now:-

Southampton (pulled down and replaced with flats)
Richmond (ditto)
Bournemouth Westover (gone but not forgotten)
Bournemouth/Poole Tower Park (gone and replaced by bingo)
Aviemore
Innsbruck
Crans Montana
Leysin
Courmayer (Outdoor.  Tracing compulsory figures in the snow was fun...!)
Slough
Bracknell
Queens Club
Gillingham
Rouen
Swindon
Gosport
Basingstoke
Oxford
Aldershot (I think that one's gone)
Guildford
Lee Valley
Bristol
Verbier
Les Diablerets (indoor and outdoor)
Aosta
Plymouth
And now - the Eden Project!

Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2017, 03:31:13 pm »
Basingstoke ice is usually very good in the week, as they do a wet cut before it opens, and not many people skate during the day. I did a hockey session on Monday morning, and the ice was wonderful. Very cold though, the water had frozen almost as soon as it was laid down. It's the Tuesday evening public skate, and weekends where the ice is appalling. I've known people to go home after a few minutes due to the atrocious ice. Gosport was not nearly so bad, but I don't think they'd done a mid-day ice squeegee.

Christy

« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2017, 02:13:06 am »
If I can count those throughout my life:
Durham
Whitley Bay
Sunderland (Crowtree Leisure Centre)
Billingham
Chelmsford
Canary Wharf temp rink
Navy Pier, Chicago
Harbor Springs temp rink (Michigan)
Vail (Colorado) Lionshead temp rink
Rockerfeller Center rink
Wollman Rink, Central Park
Skate on State temp rink, Chicago
Waterbury (Vermont)
then 5 local indoor rinks and a new one soon for my competition  ;)  plus 2 local outdoor rinks and another next Friday night because they are offering free hot chocolate!!
Plymouth NH Arena with newly sharpened blades

adding:
Steriti Memorial Rink, Boston
Frog Pond Winter Rink, Boston
Romford
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:15:30 am by Christy »

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2017, 06:53:39 pm »
Is the new Romford rink open?

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

Christy

« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2017, 12:50:56 am »
Is the new Romford rink open?

I don't know. I skated at the old one around 1999 - just realised I'd missed it off the list.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2017, 07:44:18 am »
I don't know. I skated at the old one around 1999 - just realised I'd missed it off the list.

I read next February.  I have seen pictures of the building, so it is real.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2017, 10:43:35 am »
The plans for the new Plymouth rink are up in the foyer of the current one.  It's not kidney shaped, which is a relief!  (Goodness only knows which bright spark thought that was a good idea, as the current kidney-shaped rink is a pain in the backside and useless for dance patterns.)  It's not full size, though; 56m x 26m.  Apparently building a full-size one would be too expensive.  I think it's supposed to be open in about 18 months to 2 years.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

katepilarr

« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2018, 11:59:34 pm »
i am hitting number 34! a brand new icerink opened in prague on monday! hopefully we will be able to rent an hour of ice time for us adults, from noone else than tomas verner himself!
the ice was great, almost as good as sheffield ice! hope they keep it that way.
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy