Author Topic: Passed Level 2 but.....  (Read 1587 times)

Paul 2

Passed Level 2 but.....
« on: May 22, 2007, 06:17:26 am »
Hi,

Any advice on the following gratefully appreciated:

1. I have no speed over the ice. Some of the level 3 elements require you to do them after only 2 'pushes', I am hardly moving after only 2 pushes, (is that the correct name?)

2. Forward sculling - after several pushes to get some speed, after 2 'sculls' I just grind to a halt. I don't get any forward movement out of the sculling action, and as for reverse sculling, I find that impossible, along with reverse skating.

3. I don't seem to be able to glide on one leg (either leg), I can lift it off the ice, but I seem to need to put it down immediately!

4. I could go on , but you get the picture!

How come some people seem to be able skate as if they were born on the ice and I am taking lessons to skate this badly!!

Paul
Skate UK Level 2
Frustration Level 10
Skating at Sheffield and Hull. Started Skate UK April 2007
L 6 March 2012. Still working on L 7! The harder the struggle, the more frustrating it is

lighting28

Re: Passed Level 2 but.....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 09:11:46 am »
With practice you will gain speed, are you apprehensive when on the ice? are your blades sharp enough?

My daughter used to be awfully slow and it was frustrating but she is now very fast, so fast it scares me at times.

Practice makes perfect I think is the best motto

Paul 2

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:51:35 am »
Dunno about the sharpness of the blades, they are hired at the rink.

Paul
Skating at Sheffield and Hull. Started Skate UK April 2007
L 6 March 2012. Still working on L 7! The harder the struggle, the more frustrating it is

xdanix

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 06:20:49 pm »
You just need to practise like lightning28 said.
over the course of time you'll begin to gain speed without even realising it!!
The same goes for the sculling and as for the one-foot glide, maybe you could practise it on dry land (with boots) and then at the barrier and gradually work your way out into the middle.
I used to do it and it really helped!  hope this helps!!!!

dani x   :D
Trying but failing to get my gold.......

Paris Hilton

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 05:55:08 pm »
The things you mention are all improving only with a LOT of practice. However I noticed that quad-rollerskating, whether that's on the street or on a concrete field or in a hall, greatly improves some basic skating skills, like balance, pushing, and even edges to an extent. So you could try that. Advantange of that is that you can start with really really cheap quad rollers off ebay or whatever, and practice really cheap on some neighbourhood basketball field or something. As in, you can make the many many hours at barely any cost (not the costs of ice anyway).

Basic things are all just practice really. 

Also, skates which fit your feet well and are laced up properly might make a big difference already, if they're three sizes too large, you can't steer well. Where'd you get your skates?

And you can take up ballet and do exercises off the ice to improve your balance. :) Like just standing on your 1 leg lifting the other might already help.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy