Author Topic: Welcome to SkatingForum.co.uk - Please read.  (Read 192663 times)

Adair

Re: Welcome to SkatingForum.co.uk - Please read.
« Reply #869 on: October 11, 2016, 01:08:28 pm »
Hi everyone.  :)

I just started ice skating just over a month ago. I really enjoyed it when I went and I've been going about twice a week since. Not much experience, but I'll be taking lessons starting the end of the month. I've been skating at the Altrincham rink. :)

YuzuruRina

« Reply #870 on: November 12, 2016, 10:40:54 pm »
Hi my name is Jasmine
I personally was into figure skating but was never able to do it because of location circumstances, even now I have that problem.
However after watching an anime by the name 'Yuri!!! on Ice' and watching Yuzuru Hanyu skate I had the utmost desire to skate but still am unable to.
I am 17 years at the moment so if I start now is it possible for me to begin now.
I truly wish to be as elegant as Yuzuru is. But now I'm currently stuck with roller blades.
What do you think?

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #871 on: November 13, 2016, 12:34:07 pm »
Hi my name is Jasmine
I personally was into figure skating but was never able to do it because of location circumstances, even now I have that problem.
However after watching an anime by the name 'Yuri!!! on Ice' and watching Yuzuru Hanyu skate I had the utmost desire to skate but still am unable to.
I am 17 years at the moment so if I start now is it possible for me to begin now.
I truly wish to be as elegant as Yuzuru is. But now I'm currently stuck with roller blades.
What do you think?

You can start at any age.  17 is still very young.  You can be elegant on rollerblades too, and when you get the chance to skate on ice your skills will transfer after a short period of getting used to a slightly different surface and skate.  Get some lessons to at least learn the basics so you know what to practice.

YuzuruRina

« Reply #872 on: November 13, 2016, 12:46:43 pm »

MoAziz

« Reply #873 on: December 17, 2016, 09:53:40 pm »
Hi, first post here. :)

Name's Mo, 16, and just started skating today.

I was pretty bad at it, actually, since I couldn't even push off, and I kept sliding around on my skates on the ice, sort of like my legs were being pushed outwards, and I couldn't control it at all?

Plus, being stuck to the wall didn't help either.

So is there anywhere I could ask for help or?

And, I would like to get better at ice-skating, because I want to do it, I guess.

Maybe even figure skate.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #874 on: December 18, 2016, 10:06:56 am »
Hi, first post here. :)

Name's Mo, 16, and just started skating today.

I was pretty bad at it, actually, since I couldn't even push off, and I kept sliding around on my skates on the ice, sort of like my legs were being pushed outwards, and I couldn't control it at all?

Plus, being stuck to the wall didn't help either.

So is there anywhere I could ask for help or?

And, I would like to get better at ice-skating, because I want to do it, I guess.

Maybe even figure skate.

Sign up for a beginner Learn to skate course at your local rink.  That will teach you the basics of moving around on the ice so you have some idea what you should be doing.  After that you can either progress through the learn to skate levels or practice on your own or both.  Some people self-teach and do well, most people I have seen who try to self-teach just practice bad habits and progress very slowly.

ViinaSkates

« Reply #875 on: February 26, 2017, 09:18:01 pm »
Hey, I'm Viina. Stumbled across this forum around 10 minutes ago. Hello people.

Rachel96

« Reply #876 on: May 13, 2017, 10:08:10 pm »
Hello  :) My name is Rachel. I found this forum last year while searching for ice skates but didn't join until today. I first went ice skating for a school trip when i was 10 or 11 and went on and off for fun until last year when i decided to start lessons. I am almost finished Skate UK Level 7 (surprise myself every time i pass something because i am a slow learner). I don't know if i will go on to do competitions, i will see what happens when i get to that point. I love seeing so many adults learning to skate.
The first time i watched ice skating was 2006 when Dancing On Ice started and i was hooked. I am a huge fan of Jayne Torvill and Chistopher. I met them in December last year while they were in Bristol as Fairy Godparents in Panto :)

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
« Reply #877 on: May 16, 2017, 07:58:06 am »
Hi, I'm Andy, just turned 46, and have been skating for about 4 full months now.  Had only skated a handful of times previously, ('skating' being a generous term for my efforts), but have taken the plunge (mid-life crisis!) and decided to learn properly.  Currently taking LTS lessons in Swindon, and have passed levels 1-4 so far.  Will probably bail out once I have passed level 6 (at some point in the distant future) as my passion is for ice hockey rather than figure skating.  I also attend the adult hockey learn to play sessions, and frequently ask myself why, due to my propensity to make a fool of myself through my inabilities when I attempt to play.
Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

Leif

« Reply #878 on: May 26, 2017, 05:32:08 pm »
Mid-life crisis? Been there, done that.  :D

I'm 53 and learnt basic skating forwards and backwards 25 years ago. Last summer after years not skating, I started skating again and tried to learn properly. I needed exercise, and 10km cross country runs were doing my knees in, much to my annoyance as I love running. Almost a year later, and I can now do basic moves such as cross overs and hockey stops, both backwards and forwards, but with lots of room to improve, and I have started learning to play hockey. I reckon I've learnt quite slowly, in part because I used my old rubbish skates till late last year, and because I bought new skates which were much too big and incorrectly sharpened causing several painful injuries, not serious fortunately. I now have excellent skates, properly sharpened, so no more excuses.  :)

Life now seems so short, and I hope to get good before the Gods decide that I've had too much fun, and bring it all to an end. How does one please the Gods? Must rush, I have a goat and sharp knife to collect.  :)

AndyinSwindon

• When Hell Freezes Over...At least we can skate!
« Reply #879 on: May 26, 2017, 08:16:26 pm »
"Love" and "running".....two words that never belong in the same sentence!

I run if :

a) Someone is chasing me with an axe
b) Someone is dishing out free doughnuts!

:-)
Started skating 07.01.17
Currently working through NISA LTS Levels.
Currently wobbling through hockey LTP sessions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy