Author Topic: Welcome to SkatingForum.co.uk - Please read.  (Read 150491 times)

Annie.simpson

Re: Welcome to SkatingForum.co.uk - Please read.
« Reply #891 on: May 29, 2019, 08:40:38 AM »
Hello...?  I'm a returning skater, after nearly 20 years and a leg injury.  I've been two weeks running now and it's still very slippery.  Frustration is kicking in at not being able to do anything I used to do without even thinking.  I'll keep at it, though.  Hopefully it'll come back...  :)
Did you ever get back to skating as you had hoped?
I had a 15 year gap from being on ice due to a huge life change as well as living in a desert country. When I got the chance to get back on the ice I loved it and got back into the hang of it fast, and with what I wear it was a challenge hehe. Maybe it was because your injury that you were finding it hard even when physical wounds heal we can still subconsciously worry that we'll re injury ourselves. I really hope you got back on the ice. I'd love to know if you don't mind.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #892 on: May 29, 2019, 09:30:45 AM »
Did you ever get back to skating as you had hoped?
I had a 15 year gap from being on ice due to a huge life change as well as living in a desert country. When I got the chance to get back on the ice I loved it and got back into the hang of it fast, and with what I wear it was a challenge hehe. Maybe it was because your injury that you were finding it hard even when physical wounds heal we can still subconsciously worry that we'll re injury ourselves. I really hope you got back on the ice. I'd love to know if you don't mind.

I was progressing quite nicely but then had a couple of long spells off the ice (owing to family illness and some international touring) which really didn't help.  I'm back to feeling wobbly again and am now working to catch up to where I was.  I will never be the standard I was when I had my accident, as my right leg will never be stable and I'm now 51.  I'm also terrified of falling on that knee, not because I'm scared of injuring it again but because the pain is through the roof if I knee or land on it, as the screws that held the tendon in place are still there.  Seriously considering having the screws removed, as they're no longer necessary, but it'll be quite an operation to remove them after 16 years and I'm not sure the NHS would even do it.  But I'm thoroughly enjoying skating just for the sake of skating, and the social side is lovely, too.  It's nice to have no pressure and just skate for the joy and fun.  There is still some pressure to renew my coaching qualifications and start teaching properly again but so far I'm sticking to my decision not to do that.  I love teaching and am always happy to help if people want me to help but I don't need to transform what is now my favourite hobby into something more pressured.   8)

I'm intrigued by the "with what I wear" statement.  What do you wear?  (I'm just designing a range of skating wear for ladies who aren't the leggy teenagers that the current ranges fit so all information about what people like to wear to skate is fascinating to me.)  Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat more.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Graf Dance boots and MK Dance blades. It's still a bit slippery...

Leif

« Reply #893 on: May 29, 2019, 01:19:08 PM »
I'm also terrified of falling on that knee, not because I'm scared of injuring it again but because the pain is through the roof if I knee or land on it, as the screws that held the tendon in place are still there. 

Glad to hear you are progressing. On of my pet obsessions is d30 pads. I'm not sure what you wear when skating, but if trousers, then you could slip a d30 pad underneath to protect your knee, or at least reduce the pain. You can buy knee pads consisting of a fabric sleeve and a d30 pad. You can also buy the exact same pad on ebay and make your own sleeve. I have fallen heavily on my knees and felt no pain. However, I don't have pieces of metal in my knees, and perhaps they would be less effective for you.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #894 on: May 29, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
Glad to hear you are progressing. On of my pet obsessions is d30 pads. I'm not sure what you wear when skating, but if trousers, then you could slip a d30 pad underneath to protect your knee, or at least reduce the pain. You can buy knee pads consisting of a fabric sleeve and a d30 pad. You can also buy the exact same pad on ebay and make your own sleeve. I have fallen heavily on my knees and felt no pain. However, I don't have pieces of metal in my knees, and perhaps they would be less effective for you.

Every so often you remind me of this, Leif.  I am going to see if I can find those d30s pads on eBay and make some pads for my knees.  Or the dodgy one, at least.  Might just stop me feeling so wobbly.  I don't like feeling wobbly.  I used to be able to do this!  Thank you.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Graf Dance boots and MK Dance blades. It's still a bit slippery...