Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630277 times)

clairen

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5632 on: January 29, 2020, 12:20:50 pm »
After a few years break I am now back to where I was when I stopped going to lessons in 2011 (the reasons for this are many but I won't bore you). So I can: do outside 3 turns, inside 3 turn on left leg, forward and backward crossovers, cross rolls, bunny hop, lunge, a terrible waltz jump that my teacher says actually isn't really a waltz jump but hey, I leave the ice and land so I'm calling it that. And a bad one-foot spin but not a two-foot spin (why is that harder than a one-foot spin?)

Leif

« Reply #5633 on: January 29, 2020, 01:19:23 pm »
This week I had a small cameo role in a major film:

https://www.facebook.com/glenn.wells.528/videos/10158093638697990/

If you watch from the beginning, keep an eye on the right and you will see a male skater in a red top and dark blue tracksuit bottoms in the middle of the rink doing a forward outside 3 turn. That's me! FO 3 turns are fun. I have started trying forward inside ones too. Eeek.

Note how busy the rink is. For some reason the place is packed during public skating sessions on Tuesday evening and at weekends.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5634 on: January 29, 2020, 02:54:08 pm »
. . . a bad one-foot spin but not a two-foot spin (why is that harder than a one-foot spin?)

In order to do a two-foot spin, you have to realise that the feet are spinning in opposite directions, as it were.  One foot is going forwards and one is going backwards.  This means that if you spin anti-clockwise, your left foot will be spinning forwards and your right foot will be doing a backspin.  Thus the weight on the left foot is slightly towards the front of the blade (under the ball of the foot) and the weight on the right foot will be slightly towards the heel.  One you get that sorted, it becomes easy.

Leif?  Nobody likes a showoff, mate.  Congratulations in landing the leading role.  Three turns are, indeed, fun.  Although we might need a little chat about your free leg and foot...   ;)

I thought Basingstoke rink was supposed to be practically deserted all the time?  Looks busy enough to me...!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5635 on: January 29, 2020, 10:40:28 pm »
Leif?  Nobody likes a showoff, mate.  Congratulations in landing the leading role.  Three turns are, indeed, fun.  Although we might need a little chat about your free leg and foot...   ;)

I thought Basingstoke rink was supposed to be practically deserted all the time?  Looks busy enough to me...!

I was just pleased not to make a baby elephant look poised and elegant. Do let on about the free leg and foot. I seem to have got away with it in hockey games thus far, so I hope you won’t blab to the rest of the team.

Yes, the rink really is packed these days. A friend mentioned something about a figure skating or dancing programme on TV, maybe that explains it.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5636 on: February 02, 2020, 08:42:41 pm »
Improved inside twizzles and improved back inside edges. Some nice jump landings, and a few nice spins.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5637 on: February 07, 2020, 08:36:22 pm »
This week I improved an exercise I learned a couple of weeks ago; even if I did fall over on the backwards 2-foot twizzle/turn part this morning, it's definitely getting smoother.  And it would appear that my spins are coming back. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

FootsieDAX

« Reply #5638 on: February 08, 2020, 09:58:58 pm »

This means that if you spin anti-clockwise, your left foot will be spinning forwards and your right foot will be doing a backspin.

Thanks @WednesdayMarch, I finally understand why I keep "catching" my right blade in the ice during the two-foot spin! I had assumed the turning point needs to be the same as the one on the left foot.

One thing I did achieve this week is to realise how important the upper body movements are -- for instance the waltz jump feels so much better if my hands are correctly positioned when taking off. I was focusing too much on the feet and not enough on the rest of the body. I just hope I don't forget that again.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5639 on: February 11, 2020, 06:00:12 am »
My spins improved as if by magic (or off ice practice) on Sunday, I was getting close to 4 rotations. Also landing salchows now - although they're very spinny and a bit scratchy, and I rush them during my program. New program is coming along nicely, and my coach and other skaters have given me a real confidence boost :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5640 on: February 15, 2020, 04:12:23 pm »
A Falling Leaf/Stag jump!  Rather surprised myself there.  A friend said that her coach had her doing a weird thing, like a stag jump and kind of demonstrated.  "Oh," said I, "you mean a falling leaf?  Like this?" and just did it.  Now, it wasn't the largest of stag jumps but bearing in mind the fact that I haven't done it in over 20 years and I was taking off from my right, damaged, leg...  I guess there must be some muscle memory there after all!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5641 on: March 13, 2020, 10:30:04 pm »
This week I managed my biggest fall since getting back on the ice.  It's been coming ever since I swapped my MK Dance for Phantoms.  Yes, I caught the pick.  Not falling over the bottom one, but the top, which is an art in itself.  I worked out later than I'm catching the top pick when I swing my right leg through because my brain hasn't adjusted to having less clearance for the blade than it did with the Dance blade.  Phantoms stick out a lot more at the front, especially the top pick, than MK Dance, which are domed and more like the old figure blades.  So I blithely swung my right leg through, caught the top pick and went for a burton.  I was going fairly fast, so I flew!  Also resurfaced a portion of the ice with my front as I slid, which I think was quite public spirited of me.  Unfortunately, I scared the living daylights out of the others in the group class, who were following me, as they're used to me occasionally "fluttering" down onto the ice when the right leg just doesn't do what it's meant to, and sitting there laughing.  This didn't happen as I just caught the pick, flew, landed on my knees and thumped down onto my front, winding myself.  So I couldn't speak or move and the others all assumed the worst.  I'm okay, albeit very bruised and sore, having pulled pretty much every muscle in my body.

But I didn't land on the metalwork in my right knee (the bruising is above it) and I didn't dislocate or break anything. I'm calling that a win!  8)

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5642 on: March 13, 2020, 10:40:40 pm »
Wishing you a full and speedy recovery

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy