Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630282 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5621 on: January 15, 2020, 09:43:30 pm »
I spent the morning teaching a bit of ice dance and bombing around happily on my new blades.  A big thing happened; I just skated and skated for the sheer joy of it, loving the strong edges and not giving even one moment's thought to my dodgy leg or feeling like I might take a massive fall at any second.  I bloomin' love Phantoms.  8)  I feel whole again.*

*  I'm also shattered and will be needing an extra long nap...  ;D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Jo

« Reply #5622 on: January 15, 2020, 10:00:22 pm »
@Wednesday March. Hurrah!! I’m so pleased for you!!

Florence

« Reply #5623 on: January 17, 2020, 03:28:50 pm »
Wednesdamarch .... How lovely! I miss that feeling x

forgot to write m post!  :P

This week I actually went Ice skating! I only spent around 85% of my time at the edge / barrier, i would estimate that to be a 10% reduction. I actually managed to lift one foot off the Ice and do some level 3? inside edges and some very wobbly continuous edges. All abit naff but the fact that I did anything on one foot was amaaaazing! I think I may be able to skate again at some point this year  ^-^

On the down side ... I decided to go the next day to not let the fear accumulate again. Drove 28 miles to the rink to find no purse *sigh* Had to ring hubby to get his card details for parking so I didnt get a 100 pound fine again. No online booking at this rink so drove all the way home again. I also in a lack of concentration worrying if had dropped my purse on the  kerb outside my house almost crashed my car at the traffic lights. I am very grateful in life that my breaking foot works an awful lot quicker than my brain!!

Anyway that aside I am very pleased that there is still hope for me  :D
I shall try and go 2 days next week.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:37:49 pm by Florence »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5624 on: January 17, 2020, 04:44:39 pm »
There is definitely hope for you, Florence!  The skating part of that sounds very good.  The down size sounds exactly like something I'd do...  ;)

I skated again this morning, with a lot more practice and just a little bit of teaching.  The longer blades are actually more difficult to turn for the threes than dance blades but I  did manage all the back threes, so with some decent practice they should come back.  I took a fall on a Forward Inside Three, when I curved more steeply than my dodgy leg expected (the fun part of Parabolic blades - pretty certain I am going to really enjoy these) but I knew I was going to fall so it was controlled and hilarious.  Not even a bruise.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5625 on: January 19, 2020, 09:47:14 pm »
This week I've been really working on my 3 turns and mohawks to strengthen my salchow entry - I've used both with limited success. Except tonight where I got high fives from my coach because I successfully landed several :)

Also did some nice 3 turns in lesson, and a couple of 3 rotation spins poked their head out from wherever they've been hiding the last few weeks :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

AnabelleMom

« Reply #5626 on: January 20, 2020, 03:40:04 am »
We worked for loop jump year and 6 months, back loop only 3 weeks and flip getting so quick, this week. Now we are struggling with luts and axel ...

Leif

« Reply #5627 on: January 21, 2020, 01:34:05 pm »
I spent the morning teaching a bit of ice dance and bombing around happily on my new blades.  A big thing happened; I just skated and skated for the sheer joy of it, loving the strong edges and not giving even one moment's thought to my dodgy leg or feeling like I might take a massive fall at any second.  I bloomin' love Phantoms.  8)  I feel whole again.*

*  I'm also shattered and will be needing an extra long nap...  ;D

It's nice to hear that.  O0

This week I actually went Ice skating! I only spent around 85% of my time at the edge / barrier, i would estimate that to be a 10% reduction. I actually managed to lift one foot off the Ice and do some level 3? inside edges and some very wobbly continuous edges. All abit naff but the fact that I did anything on one foot was amaaaazing! I think I may be able to skate again at some point this year  ^-^

The road to Awesome passes through the little hamlet of Naff. I am taking the scenic route which also passes through Laughable and Pitiful. But seriously, practice makes perfect.  :)

Florence

« Reply #5628 on: January 22, 2020, 07:31:36 am »
"The road to Awesome passes through the little hamlet of Naff. I am taking the scenic route which also passes through Laughable and Pitiful. But seriously, practice makes perfect"

Well I really need to buy a sat nav because I started my journey in 2008 and for some reason keep getting lost and heading towards home  ::)  given that Im very close on 50 I'm not all that sure I have enough time to get to anywhere close to Awsome  :D  I would happily settle for the little town of comfotable!

That being said, whilst skating yesterday there was an elderly gentleman skating and all I could think was a mixture of , god I think you are amazing to be on the Ice and also I reeeally hope he doesn,t fall and hurt himself whilst I,m here cos Ill go home mortified!

Anyway, I went skating yesterday and although was very nervous for the whole time there, felt like I was pushing through It a litttle. I managed some (very stiff and dodgy) continuous edges and cross rolls. I was too scared to attempt crossovers but am going today again so will push myself to do some today. I also did a little backward stroking but got panicky after about 4 strokes. But it is a start and I felt pleased with what little I had done. And DOI peeps were there so that was a good excuse to be standing at the barrier  :) 

Today I shall concentrate on forward stroking / backward sroking and tying some crossovers (with possibly some crossrolls because I used to love trying to extend/ improve  them so want them back)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:35:11 am by Florence »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5629 on: January 22, 2020, 08:09:07 am »
For a nervous person, Florence, that all sounds awesome.  You keep at it and you will get there.  Remember to keep your head up (puts your weight in a much better place over the skate) and enjoy it!

Leif

« Reply #5630 on: January 22, 2020, 08:46:35 am »
I’m 56, I started late in life, but I can now skate better than most youngsters, not the young figure skaters though. It’s never too late to learn. And off ice stretching and exercises will help your skating and more generally.

Florence

« Reply #5631 on: January 23, 2020, 08:57:29 am »
Wednesdaymarch, I do need to try keep my head up more!
Leif are right, am trying to increase my exercise.

Thanks guys.

Went Skating again yesterday with my daughter, she said I was doing much better this week, and I spent less time at the barrier (I couldnt even do a whole full circuit at the snowdome small rink last week)  I know once I can overcome the fear I will soon get back to where I was,  I just need to keep up the practice now and am confident can be back at lessons for the mid Feb date  :) 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy