Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630207 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5555 on: November 12, 2019, 09:42:45 pm »
Wednesday March, my coach has been skating for 30 years so I guess he remembers the ISU music from then.  I learned to skate in the 1950s (shame I didn’t keep going!) and the dance music was played on an organ!  When I started at Guildford in 1999, Dance Club still had someone playing the organ - couldn’t believe it - time had stopped still! After a while it changed to CDs.
It would be nice if there were more dancers on the forum but perhaps there are not many coaches teaching dance.  The public dance interval at Guildford has been stopped at the moment but they hope to get it back. Dance Club is every other week so the free skaters have more ice time!!  I was really surprised to read that Swindon have two dance intervals one evening, so lucky.
Hope the Dutch Waltz lesson goes well.  I used to get it wrong for ages, especially doing the swing rolls in the wrong direction. Sorted it by saying first one to the barrier, second one to the centre. ;D 

The chap who played the organ for Guildford Dance Club used to play at Slough when I trained there in the late 80s.  I'm saddened to hear that Guildford Dance Club is now every other week and the public dance interval has stopped.  I used to go there every week in the late 90s.  Loved it.  My favourite day of the week.

Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5556 on: November 16, 2019, 09:36:05 pm »
I stayed upright. Honestly, today was a plank day so this is an achievement.
Group coach made us do salchows and after one of my attempts said "I'm not even sure how you saved that!"
He did also ask if I had a salchow in my routine for next week, "because I don't want to break it before you compete"
Thanks, I think!
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5557 on: November 19, 2019, 06:49:24 am »
On Sunday I did a 3 rotation one foot spin! I only did it once but I now know it's possible.
I also, for the first time ever, walked the whole way across the rink on my toe picks! Coach has been baking me do this for months, and I've always had to stop before because my balance would feel off so I'd have to pause and then go again.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5558 on: November 19, 2019, 08:45:15 am »
Oh, well done!  That spin's going to get better and better.  8)

What's the thinking behind the walking on toe picks? 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5559 on: November 19, 2019, 09:35:14 am »
Partly to get used to planting a toe in the ice to jump, partly as he likes using toe steps in programs, so it's good for step sequences etc. I'm starting to like them now :)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5560 on: November 24, 2019, 07:17:03 am »
Skated a clean program in my competiton yesterday :) Came first in my category so get to bring home a trophy :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5561 on: November 24, 2019, 09:48:53 am »
Skated a clean program in my International competition yesterday :) Came first in my category so get to bring home a trophy :)

Slightly amended quote above.   ;)  This is BRILLIANT!   8)

Leif

« Reply #5562 on: November 25, 2019, 07:22:38 am »
Last weekend my coach taught me forward outside 3 turns, so I spent some time during 3 public sessions last week trying to do them. I can now do a CW one (right skating leg) consistently, and I eventually managed to do ACW ones too without losing balance after turning, but I find it very hard. She told me to keep my chest facing out of the circle, the upper body upright, and the non skating leg close to the skating leg which has been key to keeping balance afterwards. No doubt in the next lesson she will find points to help me improve.

I honestly didn’t think these were possible on hockey skates, but the CW ones are pretty easy, and with luck ACW will get easier.

I’ve also been doing the usual edge drills and crossovers.

Oh and I went to Slough ice rink on Sunday. Very shiny. Very very nice. And quite busy too which is good. It was annoying at times trying to practice 3 turns as there is no discipline. Little kids and adults zoom around the central area, and I even had to dodge dads pushing children on penguins at high speed. I don’t know how coaches manage. But a beautiful rink. I still wouldn’t want to live in Slough. Too close to hell on Earth. ;D

Crackers

« Reply #5563 on: November 25, 2019, 11:51:59 pm »
(not so) Mini Crackers appeared in a promo video for a Christmas rink https://www.facebook.com/MilletsFarm/videos/415334732680483/
Daughter in sparkles and son in blue t-shirt. The skates took her 10 hours to rhinestone.

Also in his lesson son landed double loop and made an accidental double axel... some would say that it was an Axeldent!

Apologies for the dad pun  8)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5564 on: November 26, 2019, 09:16:14 am »
Dad pun perfectly in order.  Go (No So) Mini Crackers!  8)

Crackers

« Reply #5565 on: November 26, 2019, 11:54:55 pm »
Dad pun perfectly in order.  Go (No So) Mini Crackers!  8)
Thanks WM appreciate the support for the skaters (& the dad pun  8) ).

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy