Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630181 times)

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5544 on: November 08, 2019, 08:53:15 pm »
I think this goes on in nearly every rink. It is parents living their dreams through their kids. I can get very ugly at times.

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5545 on: November 11, 2019, 01:03:50 pm »
This week, I went on patch at 7am on Saturday after attending the club party the night before, despite not having a lesson, then I was part of a group performance to open a Christmas rink.

Yesterday I got a high five from my coach as my spins have come on lots and he was super happy. I also did some nice toe loops - his "jump straight up, not round" method that seemed scary last week isn't so bad, and I'm now preferring the inside 3 entry. Also managed to poke my skating leg while trying backspins, but didn't draw blood so all good :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Leif

« Reply #5546 on: November 11, 2019, 01:27:30 pm »
Saturday's lesson was challenging, to put it mildly, but fun. She tried to get me to do a one foot backwards slalom. It was pathetic, but after a few attempts, I think I achieved mediocre. And then she suggested I place the free foot on a puck, and do it. Not a hope. I did tell her I doubted her sanity, and she did admit she was being a bit tough on me.  ;D As an aside, she did the puck trick perfectly, very very impressive. Watching someone at that level is a pleasure.

However, on Sunday I was at the rink, and recalling her comments about forwards CW crossovers (yes, still not right), I found myself doing a far better job of them. She told me to keep my back upright (not to lean into the circle) and to get my shoulders in the correct position (the inside shoulder leads, I think). I also tried the forwards one leg slalom, on each legs in turn, and I was pleasantly surprised at the improvement, especially on my left leg, thanks to her coaching the day before. Still nowhere near decent, for one thing I have no power, but a big improvement. I was surprised at how tiring it is! Lastly I tried the backwards one leg outside edge clockwise, and fell countless times. The steward said it was quite amusing ... I did point out to him that the reason he never falls is because he never tries difficult moves. I didn't disagree.  :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5547 on: November 11, 2019, 01:41:17 pm »
This week, I went on patch at 7am on Saturday after attending the club party the night before, despite not having a lesson, then I was part of a group performance to open a Christmas rink.

Yesterday I got a high five from my coach as my spins have come on lots and he was super happy. I also did some nice toe loops - his "jump straight up, not round" method that seemed scary last week isn't so bad, and I'm now preferring the inside 3 entry. Also managed to poke my skating leg while trying backspins, but didn't draw blood so all good :)

Hm.  I'm reading that as you dragged yourself onto patch having been out all night at the party.  I was tagged in that "Gin Menu" picture, remember?  ;)  And I do remember going to patch on Sunday mornings having been out all night.  Many, many years ago...  8)

Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5548 on: November 11, 2019, 01:59:41 pm »
However, on Sunday I was at the rink, and recalling her comments about forwards CW crossovers (yes, still not right), I found myself doing a far better job of them. She told me to keep my back upright (not to lean into the circle) and to get my shoulders in the correct position (the inside shoulder leads, I think).

Nope, the outside shoulder leads.  For crossovers, your upper body should be facing into the circle and when going clockwise, the right (outside) shoulder leads, with the left shoulder rotated and open behind.  Imagine you're in a giant hamster ball; every position of your arms has to correspond with the lines of that sphere.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that your coach has told you to keep your back upright and not to lean into the circle.  I can't tell you how sick I am of people telling me they can't get the hang of crossovers because they can't bring themselves to lean into the circle.  So wrong!  Remember to bend your knees until you think you look utterly ridiculous and then bend them some more, though.  Very important.

Oh, and I reckon you're right about the steward.  ;)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5549 on: November 11, 2019, 02:43:29 pm »
I didn't make it through the gin menu so was actually OK come the morning :)

Oh, forgot my other achievements, got my 3 jump and figure 8 crossovers signed off on bronze. Was told my spiral on a curve was passable on my left leg, but the right needs work, and that I need to get my boot on the ice with a straight leg in a drag, for the bunny hop drag to be signed off. Spin needs 4 rotations so that may be the sticking point at this level.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Carrie

« Reply #5550 on: November 11, 2019, 07:15:47 pm »
Had a good lesson today as there was room to dance.  Rink has been too busy for three Monday’s, two for half-term and then an inset day.  Started with swing rolls and inside swings in hold.  Coach is really pushing the edges, making them deeper, with lots of knee bend.  They feel good but a bit scary! Then three-turns and inside open Mohawks. Then on to a few dances.  This week coach used ISU music.  Haven’t heard them for ages so brought back memories!  He said they must be 30 years old! Glad I didn’t do the Dutch Waltz though!

Leif

« Reply #5551 on: November 11, 2019, 07:44:49 pm »
VIOI:  O0

Nope, the outside shoulder leads.  For crossovers, your upper body should be facing into the circle and when going clockwise, the right (outside) shoulder leads, with the left shoulder rotated and open behind.  Imagine you're in a giant hamster ball; every position of your arms has to correspond with the lines of that sphere.

I am absolutely delighted to hear that your coach has told you to keep your back upright and not to lean into the circle.  I can't tell you how sick I am of people telling me they can't get the hang of crossovers because they can't bring themselves to lean into the circle.  So wrong!  Remember to bend your knees until you think you look utterly ridiculous and then bend them some more, though.  Very important.

Oh, and I reckon you're right about the steward.  ;)

I get the right shoulder position on ice, but when sitting at my desk and typing I get confused. Spatial awareness is not my forte. Regarding knee bend, my coach had not heard the hockey stance described as the ‘poop in the woods position’.  :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5552 on: November 11, 2019, 09:56:53 pm »
Carrie, I'm sure that some of the ISU music is at least 40 years old as I remember it quite clearly from my childhood!  The Dutch Waltz is a dance that has always eluded me.  I need to get it into my head as I am supposed to be teaching it to someone on Wednesday...  ::)

Leif, I had never heard of the 'poop in the woods' position but that's an image that will be hard to dismiss from my brain.  Thanks for that...

Leif

« Reply #5553 on: November 11, 2019, 10:30:15 pm »
WednesdayMarch: You’re welcome. Something to ponder while you do your beautiful backwards crossovers.

Carrie

« Reply #5554 on: November 12, 2019, 07:40:39 pm »
Wednesday March, my coach has been skating for 30 years so I guess he remembers the ISU music from then.  I learned to skate in the 1950s (shame I didn’t keep going!) and the dance music was played on an organ!  When I started at Guildford in 1999, Dance Club still had someone playing the organ - couldn’t believe it - time had stopped still! After a while it changed to CDs.
It would be nice if there were more dancers on the forum but perhaps there are not many coaches teaching dance.  The public dance interval at Guildford has been stopped at the moment but they hope to get it back. Dance Club is every other week so the free skaters have more ice time!!  I was really surprised to read that Swindon have two dance intervals one evening, so lucky.
Hope the Dutch Waltz lesson goes well.  I used to get it wrong for ages, especially doing the swing rolls in the wrong direction. Sorted it by saying first one to the barrier, second one to the centre. ;D 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy