Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630160 times)

The Sacred Voice

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5533 on: October 22, 2019, 11:14:06 am »
Reading all the talk of skating lessons in the other thread makes me wistful to rejoin the ice ::) :-\ Regrettably my budget runs much too close for comfort to add lessons back in again, and I know I won't progress without them, so I'm just focusing on finishing my course for now.

However, I discovered I could still do everything the other day, even after so long. I took a depressed friend to the rink as an excuse to get them out of the house and for me to find out if I could still actually skate after such a long time. Getting back on the ice was okay, but I definitely felt like I hadn't done it in a while. It took a few minutes to get properly steady, but it turned out I could still do everything I knew from before which was a blessing.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Leif

« Reply #5534 on: October 24, 2019, 01:30:35 pm »
I imagine skating is a wonderful therapy for depression.  :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5535 on: October 25, 2019, 09:30:41 am »
I imagine skating is a wonderful therapy for depression.  :)

It most certainly is.  I was heading into a very dark place a couple of years ago (I struggle every winter, as I'm self-employed and rather isolated) so asking Spouse to get my skates down from the attic and deciding to see if I could skate again was a desperate attempt to keep the darkness at bay.  It was the best thing I could possibly have done. 

Skating provides exercise (endorphins!), a completely new workout for the brain and body (more endorphins!) and - usually - results in a new group of friends and acquaintances. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5536 on: October 26, 2019, 10:10:34 am »
Glad to hear poitive news WM. I head into a dark place each weekday morning. Nothng to do with the lighting. We all hate the place. 🤪

Anyway, I’ve just had my skating lesson, dripping with sweat. Definitely made some progress on crossovers, forwards clockwise is taking so long, but improving. Backwards outside edges CW on one foot are going very slowly due to fear, but she’s working on my body position. So much is forcing the body against the brain’s natural instincts.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5537 on: October 28, 2019, 10:47:52 am »
I practiced all my jumps, which is great as I sometimes avoid things I'm not confident with yet during practice. Also did some toe loops in lesson that jumped off the toe properly - that was nice.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5538 on: November 02, 2019, 12:03:04 pm »
Went to skate in Cardiff this week, as Plymouth cancelled our usual Coach & Skate session for a private hire.  (The one session of the week when they have a guaranteed 15+ attendance and they crap on us...)  It was a very long journey to find that it was half term and the small rink was rammed with small children and no decent stewarding.  I did a couple of crossfoot spins near the end of the session that were apparently "beautiful", which is about all I managed. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5539 on: November 03, 2019, 09:22:38 pm »
I was skating today, and I’m pleased with how my crossovers are coming on, a huge improvement compared to three months ago. Far from perfect, but I have far more control.

My coach had me doing backwards outside edges yesterday. I fell lots. On a positive note I was able to glide backwards in an arc on my left leg completing a half circle yesterday, a small achievement. I practiced on my left leg today, and fell lots. She also had me doing one foot slaloms, not a pretty sight, but there was a marked improvement, my technique was all wrong. As usual.

I avoided a fight on Thursday. I knocked against someone during a scrimmage, which threw me off balance and I fell. That person then punched me and spent what felt like a minute or more trying to start a fight while I was on my knees saying “do go away old chap”, or words to that effect. The irony is that I’m 56, and he’s about 50. Eh? (As an aside his wife is 20.  :o) Needless to say I complained to the rink manager who will have words.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5540 on: November 03, 2019, 09:34:40 pm »
I avoided a fight on Thursday. I knocked against someone during a scrimmage, which threw me off balance and I fell. That person then punched me and spent what felt like a minute or more trying to start a fight while I was on my knees saying “do go away old chap”, or words to that effect. The irony is that I’m 56, and he’s about 50. Eh? (As an aside his wife is 20.  :o) Needless to say I complained to the rink manager who will have words.

What the actual...?!   :o  That's appalling behaviour!  If he's like that in a scrimmage, I'd hate to meet him at a set of traffic lights in rush hour.

Glad the work with the coach is going well, though.  I have no idea how you even stand up on those weird hockey skates so...

Leif

« Reply #5541 on: November 03, 2019, 10:00:26 pm »
What the actual...?!   :o  That's appalling behaviour!  If he's like that in a scrimmage, I'd hate to meet him at a set of traffic lights in rush hour.

Glad the work with the coach is going well, though.  I have no idea how you even stand up on those weird hockey skates so...

Thanks. That last comment is reassuring, I forget that hockey skates are less stable than figures.  :)

The rink manager told me that recently he had to sort out an issue during patch, when one figure skater was chasing after another one in a threatening manner.  Goodness knows what caused that. :o Hockey is very fast and adrenaline driven, so tempers do flare, but that was way out of order.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5542 on: November 03, 2019, 10:11:59 pm »
Thanks. That last comment is reassuring, I forget that hockey skates are less stable than figures.  :)

It's probably a good thing that you forget. ;) 

The rink manager told me that recently he had to sort out an issue during patch, when one figure skater was chasing after another one in a threatening manner.  Goodness knows what caused that. :o Hockey is very fast and adrenaline driven, so tempers do flare, but that was way out of order.

Goodness!  That's very unusual.  Tempers do flare between figure skaters on patch, but they're usually sorted out by way of a bit of bitchslapping in the changing room afterwards.  Or by their mothers in the car park...

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5543 on: November 08, 2019, 11:43:40 am »
Or by their mothers in the car park...

It's definitely the mothers. My last rink was horrific for skater mum drama. The behaviour reflected in the way their kids behaved on the ice as well...
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy