Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630295 times)

black

• Skate free
Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5522 on: October 05, 2019, 10:26:03 am »
I do quite a lot of back strengthening already

That's really good - your back will sure let you know if it is damaged in any way..

Another thing about lifting is efficiency, like the fingers thing, only work the muscles needed.

When I first started lifting I used to tense the lung muscles too; I've learnt to relax and control the breathing.

Also in skating you get marks for making it look 'effortless' - I'm still working on keeping the face 100% composed :-)
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5523 on: October 05, 2019, 11:50:33 am »

That's really good - your back will sure let you know if it is damaged in any way..

Another thing about lifting is efficiency, like the fingers thing, only work the muscles needed.

When I first started lifting I used to tense the lung muscles too; I've learnt to relax and control the breathing.

Also in skating you get marks for making it look 'effortless' - I'm still working on keeping the face 100% composed :-)

Sadly because I am an idiot my back is probably already a bit damaged, though hopefully not too much.  I urge anyone who'll listen, especially anyone in or approaching middle age, to do preventative exercise, before you think you need it.

I like the idea of focusing on efficiency.  In another life I play tennis and the difference between how a shot feels when done with correct technique and not - the result may be very similar but with correct technique it feels effortless and the racket does the work.  Being relaxed in the right places. contracting in the right places for the right amount of time, not too much but not too little, is so hard.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5524 on: October 05, 2019, 12:50:16 pm »
Today I achieved multiple show number run throughs without dropping the large, bulky prop I have to do a 2 foot spin with  :)

Also had a productive patch session beforehand, and a fun group lesson.

Spin, spiral, jump competition later, so I'll have also achieved surviving a busy skating day on 4 hours sleep :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5525 on: October 06, 2019, 09:21:28 pm »
Went splat, blades clicked on a backwards crossover and me and the ice had an unexpected meeting!

Generally good lesson though, improvements can be seen on all my jumps, so that's my achievement this week :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Leif

« Reply #5526 on: October 06, 2019, 09:56:59 pm »
I’m still working on crossovers, forwards and backwards, with my coach. The lesson was yesterday, and after 45 minutes I was dripping with sweat. I’m not sure she realises how heavy hockey kit is. I then had a hockey training session with four others, myself, three teenage lads and one of their mums! The mum of one of the other lads had a skating lesson earlier, and is aiming to learn hockey.

I went to the big rink today, and spent an hour practicing. I was pleased with how it went, crossovers feel much more stable, especially clockwise. My coach is making me far more aware of what my shoulders, arms and legs are doing while skating. I did lots of basic exercises, skating on one foot, left and right, inside and outside edges. A few weeks ago she had me doing it on small circles, about 2m wide, not easy. I can do outside edges easily, inside less well.

I still don’t know how my coach does it, the lessons are so tough, and I seem to fluff so much, but friends have commented on how much my skating has improved over the last few months, and I notice a huge improvement.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5527 on: October 06, 2019, 10:09:17 pm »
I still don’t know how my coach does it, the lessons are so tough, and I seem to fluff so much, but friends have commented on how much my skating has improved over the last few months, and I notice a huge improvement.

Coaches are magic.   8)

Also, if you weren't fluffing things, you wouldn't need the lessons, would you?  And there would be no improvement to notice.  ;)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5528 on: October 06, 2019, 10:24:44 pm »
Coaches are magic.   8)

Also, if you weren't fluffing things, you wouldn't need the lessons, would you?  And there would be no improvement to notice.  ;)

You are logical, as ever.  :) She is teaching me from basics, unlearning poor technique is not easy.

Yes, magic pixie dust, or the force. I think if I called her Yoda she wouldn’t understand, and might hit me. Best not then.  ;D

Florence

« Reply #5529 on: October 08, 2019, 09:35:57 am »
I don't know how anyone can be a coach, I think It would be a very stressful job  ;D
I can deal with aggressive confused patients and being called some pretty horrible things over the years...... but I watch and listen to some Skaters and think, Gawd I absolutely could not do that Job...... (or be a school teacher).  I would imagine It could be a very emotional Job too at times.

The ice mouse

• Global Moderator
  • I have met a real live Womble - Caffn8me
« Reply #5530 on: October 08, 2019, 10:21:35 pm »
I don't know how anyone can be a coach, I think It would be a very stressful job  ;D
I can deal with aggressive confused patients and being called some pretty horrible things over the years...... but I watch and listen to some Skaters and think, Gawd I absolutely could not do that Job...... (or be a school teacher).  I would imagine It could be a very emotional Job too at times.

I coach Archery and it is not as stressful as you think. The people you coach have chosen to learn and improve - makes life easier

I prefer frozen ice. I will try anything once. I

Leif

« Reply #5531 on: October 08, 2019, 11:07:10 pm »

I’ve done private tuition for school students, remedial teaching for school pupils and tutorials for university students. It’s fun when students want to learn. Teaching teenage girls who were effing and blinding because they craved attention was not fun. It was sad because you couldn’t get through to them, and they’d end up on society’s waste heap.

My skating and hockey coaches are marvelous. Even though I can be as thick as pig poop at times.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5532 on: October 08, 2019, 11:10:11 pm »

Oh, it's easy; you just stand there and say, "Again" a lot. ;D

I used to coach skating (still do a bit, albeit in an unofficial capacity) and I absolutely love doing it.  Unlike in a school, the students are - mostly - there because they want to learn, which makes it a lot more pleasant!  I adore teaching beginners and always enjoyed the adults more than the children.  Somebody said to me last week that they thought I must be the most patient coach in the world and didn't I get bored teaching the same thing over and over again?  Nope.  It's a challenge.  Thinking of 50 ways to explain the same thing keeps my brain active and it's a pleasure to be part of someone's skating journey. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy