Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630252 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5489 on: September 14, 2019, 10:48:07 am »
<points at username> be careful with the eyes please, Leif :) Or you'll be joining my club

Group coach had us try sit spins this morning, it wasn't pretty but I tried, so that's an achievement :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Leif

« Reply #5490 on: September 14, 2019, 01:14:27 pm »
VIOI: What is your eye problem?

BTW Widnes rink is starting blind hockey. Yes, really!

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5491 on: September 14, 2019, 02:00:03 pm »
Optic nerve atrophy with nystagmus and peripheral vision loss - was born with it so know no different.

I saw that about Widnes, how on earth that'll work I've no idea!

Leif

« Reply #5492 on: September 14, 2019, 09:02:55 pm »
Optic nerve atrophy with nystagmus and peripheral vision loss - was born with it so know no different.

I saw that about Widnes, how on earth that'll work I've no idea!

Presumably since you’ve had eye issues since birth, you’ve learnt to cope, though I assume it affects balance as eyesight must play a role.

Blind ice hockey is played with a large puck which contains bells so they know where it is. I assume they shout to establish positions, which we do anyway in sighted hockey, but less so of  course. I’m not sure how they know where the goal is, perhaps they are partially sighted. Here is an example:

https://youtu.be/mfiUTd6FFvM

This is one of those things that sounds impossible, evidently not. It looks cool, no pun intended.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5493 on: September 18, 2019, 08:14:39 pm »
I achieved 2 clean skates, an improved free skate score (8.20 up from 6.26 in April) and some more shiny loot on Sunday at a competition. I also dealt with my free dance score dropping from 7.74 in April, to 5.41, despite a stronger skate, positively and without negative self talk. That's an achievement for me, I can be very hard on myself.

Free skate: https://youtu.be/tY-39a7v1b0
Free dance: https://youtu.be/FSUVJOobY-w

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5494 on: September 18, 2019, 08:45:39 pm »
Pretty epic achievement there, VIOI!  And was it my imagination, or did I spot some toe steps in that Free Programme...?  8)

Very well done.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5495 on: September 19, 2019, 07:54:02 am »
You may have spotted a couple of tiny ones, yes. Coach likes them so we all get them whether we agree or not  ;D

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5496 on: September 19, 2019, 08:27:28 am »
You may have spotted a couple of tiny ones, yes. Coach likes them so we all get them whether we agree or not  ;D

Well done!  I know you're not a fan and find them quite scary so to actually manage to include them when they were a late addition to the programme is brilliant.  You should be extremely proud of yourself. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VivienneB

« Reply #5497 on: September 19, 2019, 10:42:11 am »
 :-[ Is it possible to have a bad day?  If so I achieved this yesterday.  I'm a beginner and only on Level 7.  I normally have 1-1 coaching and I'm learning backward crossovers - which I'm finding very difficult btw, but yesterday I couldn't even lift my feet for a forward crossover.  Is it possible to have off days and not be able to do anything, or have I momentarily lost my mojo because my muse and coach on holiday and so skating alone?!!!! :-\

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5498 on: September 19, 2019, 12:10:45 pm »
:-[ Is it possible to have a bad day?  If so I achieved this yesterday.  I'm a beginner and only on Level 7.  I normally have 1-1 coaching and I'm learning backward crossovers - which I'm finding very difficult btw, but yesterday I couldn't even lift my feet for a forward crossover.  Is it possible to have off days and not be able to do anything, or have I momentarily lost my mojo because my muse and coach on holiday and so skating alone?!!!! :-\

Ah, you had what I call a "Plank Day", which is when you skate like a plank of wood rather than a human being, usually for no discernible reason.  They are very frustrating but it is important to remember that every skater has them.  Every. Single. Skater.  Regardless of age, skill level, experience, etc.  The only benefit of higher skill level and experience is you eventually learn to recognise them as Plank Days and deal with the accordingly, whether that means adjusting your practice regime/difficulty, being more forgiving of yourself or just shrugging it off and doing something else instead rather than punishing yourself and risking injury or just giving up for good!

It's also quite natural to feel a bit off if your usual skating "team" isn't there for whatever reason.

Be kind to yourself.  Tell those backward crossovers that you're coming for them when they least expect it.  You'll get there and you'll look back to the days when you stood on that ice thinking, "I'm not sure that this is actually physically possible," and smile. 

VivienneB

« Reply #5499 on: September 19, 2019, 12:45:53 pm »
Thank you.  Loving the terminology too - very apt.  I must confess, looking back to yesterday and my inability to do anything, I can relate to the word,  as I did indeed  feel I felt a right plank!!!!
Thank you again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy