Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630180 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5423 on: June 10, 2019, 12:51:13 pm »
Hope you're okay now, Leif, and there are no repercussions from that bang to the head.  (I'm not averse to repercussions for the idiot who caused it.  Grrrr...)

That drill looks like fun!  It's also very interesting to see that there's method in the madness I see hockey skaters doing.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5424 on: June 10, 2019, 07:34:56 pm »
Yes I’m fine thanks, but I still have a bit of a headache. I’m more concerned about long term effects of multiple bangs to the head which is why I’m angry.

There are lots of You Tube training videos for hockey players such as this one if you’ve time to kill:

https://youtu.be/bvBNoeCBDdg

The standard of recreational ‘beer league’ hockey skating in North America is far higher than here.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5425 on: June 13, 2019, 08:43:09 am »
I've considered myself a reasonably competent backward skater for years now but have recently realised I am still leaning a tiny bit forward when skating backwards.
It's especially noticeable when doing alternating crossovers/backward runs which is my go-to element for continuous backward skating.  I creep forward a bit for the run part.  It's also noticeable when doing back cross rolls on rollerblades, which are poor compared to those I do on ice.  I wear a helmet on rollerblades to boost confidence but still resist - the tail on them is much shorter than on my figure blades so there is the worry that they will disappear from under me.
So I have been working on really standing tall and straight with my upper body, when going backwards.  And leaning back on my cross rolls more.  With some limited success.

Also managing to open my hip more on upright spins, which makes it go faster, be better centered and stay over my spinning foot.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5426 on: June 13, 2019, 08:45:40 am »
Success that's limited is still success.  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5427 on: June 13, 2019, 08:52:59 am »
Success that's limited is still success.  8)

Oh yes indeed. Happy with tiny gains. Patience is essential.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5428 on: July 01, 2019, 07:16:24 pm »
I achieved skating my most technical routine at our artistic competition on Saturday. I was the only one in the adult inclusive category so now I have to skate it at the final on 13th July. PI inter rink thingy for those unfamiliar :)

Here's an Instagram link for you all, if you want a look :) https://www.instagram.com/p/BzVs4kxBRd4/?igshid=16eycg2k5tch2
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

josydavinia

« Reply #5429 on: July 02, 2019, 10:45:21 am »
I achieved skating my most technical routine at our artistic competition on Saturday. I was the only one in the adult inclusive category so now I have to skate it at the final on 13th July. PI inter rink thingy for those unfamiliar :)

Here's an Instagram link for you all, if you want a look :) https://www.instagram.com/p/BzVs4kxBRd4/?igshid=16eycg2k5tch2

You did fab! Great job and good luck at the final! Can't wait to hear about it.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5430 on: July 02, 2019, 11:34:30 am »

I watched this yesterday (as you probably know).  You look a lot more confident in this routine.  Good luck on the 13th!  I'm looking forward to seeing the medal.  8)

josydavinia

« Reply #5431 on: July 03, 2019, 10:04:27 am »
I started one-footed 3 turns today. I had to hold onto the barrier fully and nearly fell over on my very first one, but got there eventually! Excited to try off the barrier next time.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5432 on: July 03, 2019, 03:30:26 pm »
I started one-footed 3 turns today. I had to hold onto the barrier fully and nearly fell over on my very first one, but got there eventually! Excited to try off the barrier next time.

Oh, I remember that feeling!  :D  Three turns are such a major element to learn.  Very exciting!  Remember to keep your free foot close to your skating foot as you turn and just after, so that it doesn't throw you off balance.  Watch some ice dancers for tips and inspiration as they are much neater on them than freeskaters.  ;)

I had limited ice space this morning so pootled about with my backward three turns.  Still don't enjoy them (dance blades are scarily short for turning on the back of the blade) but they are getting there.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5433 on: July 11, 2019, 10:01:16 pm »
The best thing of this week was discovering that one of the ladies in the group class I did today was somebody I taught to skate (as an adult) over 20 years ago and she's still loving skating!  My life has had meaning after all!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:34:46 pm by WednesdayMarch »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy