Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630153 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5401 on: May 11, 2019, 09:29:58 pm »
I think I managed a 4 rotation 1 foot spin, from the proper entry.

2 rotations on one foot before pulling in, then another 2 after. Wasn't completely clean, but I was pleased.

Hoping coach agrees it's 4, not 2 - does leg position matter for a basic forward spin? I know it does for sit spins etc...
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5402 on: May 15, 2019, 05:06:39 pm »
I think I managed a 4 rotation 1 foot spin, from the proper entry. . . .
Hoping coach agrees it's 4, not 2 - does leg position matter for a basic forward spin? I know it does for sit spins etc...

Well done!  That's a proper spin!  I don't think the leg position matters greatly.  I always start to spin with mine out to the side rather than the front, and then pull it in sideways, over and down, like a corkscrew, rather than with the knee of the free leg pointing forwards.  Always have done.

My achievement this week was to get back the most of the moves I'd lost through not realising that my blades were blunter than they should be.  I didn't realise I've lost so much sensation in my rebuilt leg.  Need to keep an eye on that!  Now I want to skate again tomorrow in order to catch up...  ::)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5403 on: May 15, 2019, 05:21:16 pm »
Your description of how you spin seems to match what the lovely Mr Lambiel is doing in this rather good clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvP85_3yXHY
I think you get a faster spin like that which can seem scary but I think it is more centred and stable once you master it

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5404 on: May 15, 2019, 05:33:39 pm »
Coach is mean - he only counts after I pull my leg in! 😂

But I still achieved a spin from the full entry, so I'll take that 😀

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5405 on: May 15, 2019, 09:10:57 pm »
Your description of how you spin seems to match what the lovely Mr Lambiel is doing in this rather good clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvP85_3yXHY
I think you get a faster spin like that which can seem scary but I think it is more centred and stable once you master it

Yes!  That is exactly the way I do it!  Although my exits aren't quite up to that standard these days.  Because I am dizzier than an armadillo in a centrifuge when I come out...  ;D

VIOI, you'll have those revolutions increasing in no time at all!  Well done.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5406 on: May 21, 2019, 10:52:05 am »
Coach has decided I'm ready to learn my toe loop. Had a go at the set up on Sunday, normally I can't do an inside 3, but if I think of putting my toe in after, rather than thinking of the turn, I can flick round no bother :)

Bit scared about jumping it, but I'm sure coach won't let me go splat too badly! 😂 I've done it in the harness with another coach, did fall but wasn't too bad.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5407 on: May 21, 2019, 12:28:14 pm »
Coach has decided I'm ready to learn my toe loop. Had a go at the set up on Sunday, normally I can't do an inside 3, but if I think of putting my toe in after, rather than thinking of the turn, I can flick round no bother :)

Bit scared about jumping it, but I'm sure coach won't let me go splat too badly! 😂 I've done it in the harness with another coach, did fall but wasn't too bad.

Oooh, exciting!  Enjoy.  8)

Leif

« Reply #5408 on: May 26, 2019, 08:52:32 pm »
I spent some time during the last few sessions learning the t-stop. I hadn’t bothered much with it as it’s not useful for hockey. Anyway that is my excuse for my ineptitude and laziness. 

It didn’t take long to t-stop with my right foot as the brake, using a deep knee bend, and leaning back on the rear leg to get a strong stop. Doing it fast is fun. And lifting the front leg up too.

Using the other leg to brake was much harder for some reason. Compared to my right foot, I had to think much more and mess around with posture and knee bend, and the contact between the blade and the ice until I started to do something that looked like a t-stop. Odd how it can be straightforward on one side, and a nightmare on the other. Makes me wonder if there is some evolutionary reason for handedness, or if it’s a harmless consequence of something beneficial.

Both stops need more work, but they are getting there. And they are quite fun to do.

I spent time doing one foot glides on an arc, right foot, left foot, inside edge, outside edge. In future I will add these to my warm ups, very basic but important.

Lastly I practised crossovers. Doing forwards clockwise crossovers, my left foot edge control is much better. Nowhere near anti-clockwise, but it’ll get there.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5409 on: May 26, 2019, 09:38:17 pm »
I spent some time during the last few sessions learning the t-stop. I hadn’t bothered much with it as it’s not useful for hockey. Anyway that is my excuse for my ineptitude and laziness. 

It didn’t take long to t-stop with my right foot as the brake, using a deep knee bend, and leaning back on the rear leg to get a strong stop. Doing it fast is fun. And lifting the front leg up too.

Ah, we'll make a show skater of you yet...

Sounds like you've had a very productive time of it lately.  Good stuff!

Leif

« Reply #5410 on: May 26, 2019, 10:34:18 pm »
Ah, we'll make a show skater of you yet...

Sounds like you've had a very productive time of it lately.  Good stuff!

Not on hockey skates, they’re not made for spins and jumps. However, improved edge control ain’t a bad thing.

physichull

« Reply #5411 on: May 27, 2019, 06:27:07 pm »
Level 3/4 lessons gonna start tonight!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy