Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630244 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5346 on: December 29, 2018, 05:23:57 pm »
My coach had 4 of us in a rink-run session today. 3 of us were his skaters so it became an impromptu group lesson. He decided to take us through level 1 Field Moves.

Managed to attempt all of them and got some compliments from coach :)

In my small adult group lesson earlier this morning, group coach had me in the jump harness to work on 3 jump. So I achieved going in the harness for the first time.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

katepilarr

« Reply #5347 on: December 29, 2018, 09:05:09 pm »
In my small adult group lesson earlier this morning, group coach had me in the jump harness to work on 3 jump. So I achieved going in the harness for the first time.
[/quote
wow, that must have been an experience! I think I wont until axel attempts if I ever get there!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 09:16:29 pm by katepilarr »
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

Leif

« Reply #5348 on: January 15, 2019, 08:06:18 am »
Did a casual hockey session yesterday morning, and I had several good passes, sprinted half the length of the rink, and took a shot at goal, both on target and on the second attempt the puck went in. An occurrence as rare as rocking horse poop. ;D Overall a very good session, lots of passing, a good atmosphere, maybe because half the players were as old as me, in fact one was ~65 and another ~70  ...  :o I won't be too unhappy if I'm still playing hockey at 70+.

Leif

« Reply #5349 on: January 21, 2019, 08:00:05 pm »
Scored a good goal this morning. Admittedly the goalie was a novice, a triple amputee and had been in a medically induced coma for a month (1). Not to mention that most players were so old they could have stumbled out of a local care home. One was over 70. Come to think of it, they did stumble out of a local care home.  I’m quite proud of the nimble way I skated round the opposition Zimmer frames. The goalie said afterwards it was a good shot, and asked if it was by design or luck.  ;D Pure luck if I’m honest. I once didn’t take a shot from a pass, and was told off. Apparently the secret is to “shoot the friggin’ puck” or words to that effect. So now I “shoot the friggin puck” and sometimes my ineptitude and incompetence cancel each other out. Mostly not though.

On a more serious and less vain note, I popped down to a gym near work, for which we have some subscriptions, and I hope to find a personal trainer to improve ‘core strength’ whatever that means. But apparently it’s what I need. So, ‘core strength’ it is then.

(1) I exaggerate a tad.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5350 on: January 22, 2019, 08:32:46 am »
Hurrah for goals!  However long the goalie has been in a coma.  A goal's a goal.  (Unless it's an own goal.  The less said about them, the better!)

Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5351 on: February 20, 2019, 11:01:12 pm »
Two weeks ago our B team played another club’s B team. At the end each team chose their man of the match (who might incidentally be a woman, the title remains the same) and I was our man of the match, for effort put in. I was taken aback but chuffed.

The week before I played for the army against our team. Impressed aren’t you? Yes I bet you are. [Pause while I look smug.] The army team were short of players, so my team gave them our worst players. Including me. What, you say you’re no longer impressed? You are so fickle.  ;D Seriously though, it was the first real game I’d played for a long while, and really good fun. And how many people can say they played ice hockey for the army?  :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:02:49 pm by Leif »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5352 on: February 21, 2019, 07:30:51 am »
I'm impressed.  And not a little envious of the amount of fun!

Congratulations on the Man of the Match award; that's really excellent!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5353 on: March 04, 2019, 07:25:29 am »
Slight improvement on my inside 3 turns

With the help of my coach, took a friend with a worse eye condition than me onto the ice for the first time - she loved it so much she's booked another lesson with him.

I'm getting there with my pattern dances, and my free dance and free skate are there, just need polishing ready for Glasgow next month.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5354 on: March 10, 2019, 09:17:57 am »
This week I got shortlisted for a skating sponsorship 😊 I'll find out on the 18th if I've been successful - there's a public vote as part of the final decision making process and my friends have come out in force to support me in this

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5355 on: March 10, 2019, 10:42:27 am »
Wow!  That is really exciting!  Best of luck! (How do we vote?)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5356 on: March 10, 2019, 11:51:06 am »
If you go to this link: https://twobirdslondon.co.uk/2019-ambassador-vote/ you can vote for me. My first name and username on here start with the same letter :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy