Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630270 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5324 on: November 26, 2018, 08:12:16 am »
Last night, coach signed off the remainder of Skate U.K. Level 9, and almost got 10 done - ran out of time for the step sequence so we’ll do that on Thursday.

Nearly there, been a long 6 years and my poor book is a battered mess.

Bonus is, he’s letting me make up the step sequence. Problem is, I can’t get things to flow nicely :(
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5325 on: November 26, 2018, 08:43:56 am »
Well done!   8)

Bonus is, he’s letting me make up the step sequence. Problem is, I can’t get things to flow nicely :(

Try treating it as a dance, ie hum a tune that makes you want to dance and see where that takes you.  Plenty of things flow better with a bit of music for rhythm.  Skiing is the same.  Much easier to link beautiful flowing parallel turns if you sing as you ski!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5326 on: November 26, 2018, 01:29:20 pm »
I managed to spend a not insignificant amount of money on some new skates -  :D - and then discovered that the blades on my old skates were flat.  :o Not just with a flat spot, but completely flat from one end to the other. Oddly enough, many moves are now much easier. My one foot slalom is not there but I'm now getting much deeper C cuts with less effort.

Flat blades, for goodness sake. Were I paranoid I'd conclude that the Gods are competing with each other for the most novel way to stifle my Olympic dreams ... Is consistent accurate skate sharpening too much to ask for or is it a myth along with unicorns, and mermaids? I'm off for a walk and a mutter.

Oh, and my new wheels are the mutt's.

Leif

« Reply #5327 on: November 26, 2018, 01:31:13 pm »
Well done!   8)

Try treating it as a dance, ie hum a tune that makes you want to dance and see where that takes you.  Plenty of things flow better with a bit of music for rhythm.  Skiing is the same.  Much easier to link beautiful flowing parallel turns if you sing as you ski!

A very good freestyle skater and professional musician told me exactly the same thing. Not sure it works with Ramstein and Motorhead though ...

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5328 on: November 29, 2018, 08:37:16 pm »
I did it! I did it! I did it!!!!

Skate UK done, so that’s a pretty big achievement :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5329 on: November 30, 2018, 09:30:05 am »

WELL DONE!  That's a great achievement.  You can quite rightly feel proud of yourself.   8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5330 on: December 01, 2018, 03:34:23 pm »
Last Wednesday for reasons I forget I tried the T stop, but with the stopping foot in front and to one side of the other foot, thus forming an L shape. I have no idea what the correct name is. And to my surprise I did it near perfectly using the outside edge on my right foot. It seems that my new skates are giving me quite a bit more control as this evaded me previously. I can see why figure skaters use this stop, it allows you to face forwards, and it is effective and a lot more elegant than the snow plough. I tried on my left foot, with less success, I can do it but it’s messy and incorrect. More practice is needed.

Florence

« Reply #5331 on: December 06, 2018, 09:36:11 am »

Speaking as someone who started skating in 2008 and still hasn't passed Skate UK, I would say that is a Huge achievement!  :D
Well done VIOI. Onward and upward! x

Crackers

« Reply #5332 on: December 07, 2018, 11:11:53 pm »
Not me, but my 2 skaters both passed their NISA 1 Elements & Free tests yesterday!
Coupled with the Field moves test that they both passed earlier in the year, that's NISA 1 done.
Time for new programs and new music for the new year.
#prouddad

Squeeze

« Reply #5333 on: December 08, 2018, 08:12:49 pm »
I passed level 8 skate uk! Now I've got to decide on which discipline to learn in skate star bronze level , free or dance... I'm not sure my knees will withstand much jumping!!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5334 on: December 08, 2018, 10:44:23 pm »
Not me, but my 2 skaters both passed their NISA 1 Elements & Free tests yesterday!

Great news!  Quite right to be proud!

I passed level 8 skate uk! Now I've got to decide on which discipline to learn in skate star bronze level , free or dance... I'm not sure my knees will withstand much jumping!!

Congratulations!  The decision is easy; come over to the dance side!  And when you've strengthened your knees and edges with all the dance technique, you'll be more ready to try jumping.  Simples!   8)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy