Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 629555 times)

The Sacred Voice

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5291 on: September 11, 2018, 09:09:36 pm »
I did upright spin! With a crossover lead in, sustained cleanly for numerous rotations (in my mind it was like a million, but it was probably more like four), good positioning and arm/leg transitioning as I pull in. The best part is this is the culmination of weeks of me being able to occasionally do that and now I'm reaching something much more consistent and more like "most of the time" instead of "some of the time."

My coach was like "I'm so impressed by the improvement made here!" I've literally gone from barely being able to even make the spin work at all since I started skating to actually doing it properly. I had a quick play around with sit spin as well, but I'm not achieving much there yet.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5292 on: September 11, 2018, 10:11:17 pm »
I did upright spin! With a crossover lead in, sustained cleanly for numerous rotations (in my mind it was like a million, but it was probably more like four), good positioning and arm/leg transitioning as I pull in. The best part is this is the culmination of weeks of me being able to occasionally do that and now I'm reaching something much more consistent and more like "most of the time" instead of "some of the time."

Nah.  Definitely more than four.  At least twelfty.  Possibly that million. ;)

Well done.  You've worked hard for that.  Spinning isn't easy.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Squeeze

« Reply #5293 on: September 13, 2018, 10:01:43 am »
First week in level 7, got my Mohawk straight away! Can't quite manage crossrolls, need to coordinate! Dd says do a sassy walk😂

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5294 on: September 13, 2018, 10:59:21 am »
First week in level 7, got my Mohawk straight away! Can't quite manage crossrolls, need to coordinate! Dd says do a sassy walk😂

I'd never really thought of crossrolls as a sassy walk, but it does make a lot of sense! ;D
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5295 on: September 13, 2018, 03:50:48 pm »
You could think of cross rolls as outside edges with a cross. You could start by doing  a shallow ish outside edge and try to step down onto the opposite outside edge and gradually make the edges deeper.

Leif

« Reply #5296 on: September 13, 2018, 04:17:13 pm »
A good drill to help with crossrolls is outside edges i.e. skating on a curve while riding on one outside edge. Do this on each foot, then work out how to swap over, and then repeat the swap.

Leif

« Reply #5297 on: October 02, 2018, 08:15:16 am »
At long last I am starting to get CW forwards crossovers without my right foot slipping. Talk about a slow learner ...

For a bit of fun I'm trying to learn the forwards one foot slalom. A young female skater I know gave me some good tips, which has helped. But I can't figure out how to propel myself. Apparently I need to start off with some speed, then lean into a turn while riding an edge, then at some point, swivel my skating foot (with the pivot point slightly behind the centre of the blade) and repeat but leaning the opposite way. I can do that and lean quite a bit into the turns, but I slow down. One problem I have is that when I turn my skating foot, there is a tendency to brake as it acts a bit like a snow plough. It seems you need to bend and straighten the skating leg to generate forward momentum, but I can't get the hang of it. Helpful suggestions please!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5298 on: October 02, 2018, 08:52:00 am »
For a bit of fun I'm trying to learn the forwards one foot slalom. A young female skater I know gave me some good tips, which has helped. But I can't figure out how to propel myself. Apparently I need to start off with some speed, then lean into a turn while riding an edge, then at some point, swivel my skating foot (with the pivot point slightly behind the centre of the blade) and repeat but leaning the opposite way. I can do that and lean quite a bit into the turns, but I slow down. One problem I have is that when I turn my skating foot, there is a tendency to brake as it acts a bit like a snow plough. It seems you need to bend and straighten the skating leg to generate forward momentum, but I can't get the hang of it. Helpful suggestions please!

Everybody slows down on the forwards one foot slalom.  Try it backwards - much more fun!  Known as "power pulls".

How are you on changes of edge?  You need to be able to hold a good edge and then change to the other one.  It's not so much a swivel of the skating foot as a transfer of weight to change the edge.  Have you been taught those as two curves along a straight axis?  If your edges are correct, with your weight in the right place, you shouldn't find your blade acting as a snowplough.

Bending and straightening the skating leg is part of the momentum thing but there needs to be good use of the ankle too, to generate movement and the required curve.  It's all about those edges.  I find it nigh on impossible to explain without demonstrating, though. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5299 on: October 02, 2018, 11:10:38 am »
My coach was dead impressed when he got me to try forwards 1 foot slaloms. He said they were really strong considering my level. I can’t do the backwards ones, but then my backwards edges are appalling right now...
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5300 on: October 02, 2018, 02:48:28 pm »
I've always found the backwards 1 foot slaloms much easier than the forwards, but my forwards are slowly improving. They're nothing impressive yet though!

I went back to the rink for the first time in two weeks (I'm commuting up and down to Sheffield looking for accommodation at the moment) and I was pleasantly surprised that I hadn't forgotten anything! Things felt a bit sloppy round the edges, but there was also a slightly comfortable naturalness to some of my edge work, which was really pleasing.

Leif

« Reply #5301 on: October 02, 2018, 10:49:33 pm »
Everybody slows down on the forwards one foot slalom.  Try it backwards - much more fun!  Known as "power pulls".

How are you on changes of edge?  You need to be able to hold a good edge and then change to the other one.  It's not so much a swivel of the skating foot as a transfer of weight to change the edge.  Have you been taught those as two curves along a straight axis?  If your edges are correct, with your weight in the right place, you shouldn't find your blade acting as a snowplough.

Bending and straightening the skating leg is part of the momentum thing but there needs to be good use of the ankle too, to generate movement and the required curve.  It's all about those edges.  I find it nigh on impossible to explain without demonstrating, though.

Thank you, you’re an angel! I tried this evening and managed a decent one foot forwards slalom. A figure skating friend even described it as good. As you say, it’s not a swivel of the foot, but simply a series of C cuts, with weight repeatedly transferred from one edge to the other. It is a sort of wiggle, with flex of the ankle, but also a swing of the hips. It’s very much a combination of timing and balance. I do slow down a bit, and it certainly needs more work, but I feel I have cracked the basic mechanism. I also tried backwards at the instigation of a friend, and sort of managed it, but with a look of sheer terror on my face. He asked me what the expression meant, as he is not good at interpreting expressions, and I explained that it was fear!  :o

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy