Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630264 times)

MonkeyBeaver

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5269 on: July 07, 2018, 12:07:59 pm »
Found these online (recently stopped running in favour of Nordic skating)

https://nordicx.com/en/Clothing/Rollerski-pant-stretch-3-4-incl-protection.html?force_sid=5a3352e35f5fac775f4b1e0acb7075a3

Looks ideal, says the padding is foam but is also removable so could possibly be replaced with some D3O inserts, if it proves to be too soft. I know they are available from places that sell Motorbike gear,

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/brands/d3o-motorcycle-armour-protectors.html

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5270 on: July 22, 2018, 10:37:07 pm »
Yesterday I jumped! Properly, for the very first time!

Small group lesson on a Saturday that I share with 3 friends. Just 3 of us yesterday, so coach said we were gonna try 3 jump, and when he demonstrated, something clicked.

I’d been trying to jump with my arms in 3 turn position, and barely moving. Tried it the proper way and actually jumped!

So coach decided to try us with salchow and toe loop - just the entry, but every time I did it, I felt myself wanting to jump. Never thought we’d get to this point...
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Snufkin

« Reply #5271 on: July 23, 2018, 10:08:43 am »
Amazing news, VIOI! It feels great doesn't it? :D
Started skating August 2017

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5272 on: July 23, 2018, 10:27:35 am »
Yesterday I jumped! Properly, for the very first time!

That's brilliant!  Well done.  :D 8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5273 on: July 24, 2018, 08:31:02 pm »
Big things this week (or maybe it was end of last week?) was that I'm starting to manage some consistency in my upright spin. My coach is trying to get me to balance the initial rotation section after you go into it to give me a better feel for it. I'm really hoping that muscle memory and natural balancing just eventually records the right position so I can reach and maintain it more easily. In my last session then I got to the point where I was fairly consistently able to hold it for two-three rotations before bringing my legs and arms in to complete. Upright spin is the bane of my life. Someone at the rink told me a good tip for backspin as well that immediately felt great, but I haven't been able to repeat it since that one time after I did it... ::)

More importantly, I achieved some kind of weird rink notoriety level today. I was speaking to one of the trainee coaches (not quite level 2 qualified, but basically there) and he was shadowing the head coach at the rink when I got on the ice for the afternoon patch session. I'm well known for excessive speed and general enthusiasm going into my jumps so he later told me that he leaned into the head coach and said "Watch out, Daredevil's on the ice" and indicated me, to which she replied back to him "you know, he terrifies me." ;D ;D ;D For the record, I am genuinely exceptionally pleased that I hold the title of rink maniac! 8)
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5274 on: July 25, 2018, 09:00:57 am »
Oh in that case I’ve also achieved notoriety  ;D  I swear newcomers to patch have me pointed out to them, and get told, “she doesn’t see so well, if it looks like she’s not seen you, she probably hasn’t!”

Lesson tonight, hopefully my jumps are going to appear so I can show my main coach...
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Leif

« Reply #5275 on: August 14, 2018, 01:50:23 pm »
Did a sticky puck session yesterday morning, and managed forwards ACW crossovers while dribbling a puck, which had previously been somewhat challenging if not outright impossible. Couldn't do the same CW, but it'll come in time. In the same session during scrimmage I stopped the puck with my right skate blade, and then did a decent pass with the stick to another player. Being able to stop pucks, and knock them about, with ones skates is a key skill in hockey for obvious reasons but not easy, the danger being that you catch and edge and go over.

I managed forwards CW crossovers without my right foot sliding sideways. A coach previously explained that I was not riding the edge correctly and I should lean in more, with a good knee bend of course. I also have a tendency to turn the foot to steer, whereas I believe I should be keeping the foot pointed straight ahead and turning will occur of its own accord. Another coach explained that I should be turning my head and shoulders into the turn. Not sure if figure skaters do that or not, but it seems to help.

And lastly, I accosted a figure skating coach and asked her if she would take me on for some one on one lessons to improve my skating basics. She took my name and phone number, so hopefully she will get back to me. I have noticed that all of the best hockey skaters I have come across have had tuition from figure skating coaches, or advice from figure skaters.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5276 on: August 14, 2018, 09:12:45 pm »
Another coach explained that I should be turning my head and shoulders into the turn. Not sure if figure skaters do that or not, but it seems to help.

And lastly, I accosted a figure skating coach and asked her if she would take me on for some one on one lessons to improve my skating basics. She took my name and phone number, so hopefully she will get back to me. I have noticed that all of the best hockey skaters I have come across have had tuition from figure skating coaches, or advice from figure skaters.

With free skating crossovers then I've always been encouraged to lean my body into the turn. I'm not really sure if I'm turning my head into the turn as well, so it's hard to say, but I skate my crossovers with my arms outstretched and leaning into the turn, which might not be the best frame of comparison as you'll be holding a stick so you can't get the same outstretched lean in.

Most of the hockey players I know started learning with figure coaches before switching over, but I think that might've been more of a "they started learning to skate the way most people do then switched over." I am of the understanding that basically all free skaters would benefit from some lessons from ice dance coaches, so it wouldn't be surprising that hockey players would benefit from a touch of figure skating.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5277 on: August 16, 2018, 06:40:25 pm »
Not really an achievement but my rink's currently doing a week-long hockey camp, so myself and some of the young skaters decided to visit Cardiff's rink as an alternative training place for this week. They've all been before, but it was my first time and I was REALLY impressed. I've not been to a full-size rink yet so stepping into the arena took me aback a bit. It didn't feel too huge when I started skating, but occasionally you'd see someone doing something and get a sudden blast of perspective and realise how much less space they were taking up compared to at my usual rink. Also, I normally get a bit tight to the edge practising my crossovers in a figure-of-eight, but no such issue at Cardiff!

Cardiff was also hosting a hockey camp, but you wouldn't know it as they had several hours of patch in the early morning, an hour-and-a-half over lunch and something like four-and-a-half hours in the afternoon through to the evening. Who even needs that much patch time?! It is a dual pad rink and they do all their public skates on a slightly smaller separate pad, which explains how they can dedicate so much time for people that want to practise. It's still crazy they can fit so much patch time in even with the camp on!

I was only there for the lunchtime slot and it was practically dead even though it was the middle of the holidays. The group I was with outnumbered the local skaters, and we were only a group of five! Also, patch was only £5 and the rink was really well-maintained, insanely well lit and just generally really nice. I don't know how I'm going to come down from this experience!

So, long story short, if you get the chance then I recommend dropping by and having a skate!

Just now realised I should've asked on here if anyone skated there and I could've said hi!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:46:33 pm by The Sacred Voice »

katepilarr

« Reply #5278 on: August 19, 2018, 10:55:12 am »
i am fed up with my body's unability to spin my normal way that i started to learn spinning the other way. after three weeks, ie three hours of skating, i can do a descent forward spin on the right foot.  whereas on my left it took about five years.
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5279 on: August 19, 2018, 03:53:32 pm »
i am fed up with my body's unability to spin my normal way that i started to learn spinning the other way. after three weeks, ie three hours of skating, i can do a descent forward spin on the right foot.  whereas on my left it took about five years.

I would kill for this kind of progress on upright spin! ::)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy