Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630265 times)

Leif

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5236 on: April 11, 2018, 09:30:11 pm »
Last week was interesting. On Wednesday I spoke to someone I’ve not seen for ages, as I rarely go to that rink. He said my skating had improved massively since he last saw me, many months back. He was impressed by my stopping on one foot on an outside edge. That is scary until you crack it, and it’s actually quite easy. Then Thursday I did stick n puck, and got shouted at. The goalie made fun of me too. So that left me feeling rather down.  At our Saturday hockey session I thought I did well, and got a nice shot past a goalie during drills. Afterwards I was told my skating had improved a lot which was really nice. I know some of the other lads work hard too, and are improving. It does help motivation to get such comments, as sometimes the advanced players can be quite harsh on the less capable players. Well, I take the attitude of “screw ‘em, I’ve paid for ice time, and I’m going to practice and improve”. I ignore the put downs and negative remarks. One day the bastards will eat their words.

I also figured out how a mate always seems to be steaming towards the opposition goal with the puck. He hangs round between their goal and their defenders, waiting for a pass, so it’s bad defending that let’s him get away with it. This is I think basic stuff to the good players, but something new to the ignorant unwashed masses such as me.

Ooh, good idea!   ;D

And then a nap.

Can’t argue with common sense.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5237 on: April 12, 2018, 01:36:31 am »
Last week was interesting. On Wednesday I spoke to someone I’ve not seen for ages, as I rarely go to that rink. He said my skating had improved massively since he last saw me, many months back. He was impressed by my stopping on one foot on an outside edge. That is scary until you crack it, and it’s actually quite easy. Then Thursday I did stick n puck, and got shouted at. The goalie made fun of me too. So that left me feeling rather down.  At our Saturday hockey session I thought I did well, and got a nice shot past a goalie during drills. Afterwards I was told my skating had improved a lot which was really nice. I know some of the other lads work hard too, and are improving. It does help motivation to get such comments, as sometimes the advanced players can be quite harsh on the less capable players. Well, I take the attitude of “screw ‘em, I’ve paid for ice time, and I’m going to practice and improve”. I ignore the put downs and negative remarks. One day the bastards will eat their words.

:o I'm really surprised by the negative atmosphere you talk about in learning during ice hockey. What did you get shouted at for in stick 'n' puck?

I think the reason I'm so surprised is that as a learning free skater then I get so much positive support from people at my rink. People always want to know how I'm getting on and are always very complimentary of any progress I make, even though they're clearly way ahead of me in terms of ability. I'd go so far as to say they're enthusiastic to discuss what I'm learning and are happy to congratulate me on achievements, even though the things I'm learning must seem trivial to them these days. I would maybe expect this attitude from adults (who are also lovely), but this is coming from the kids and teenagers, which is what impresses me the most. I don't know if I'd have been so mature/friendly when I was their age.

Perhaps this is something to do with the fact that the figure skating disciplines are a largely personal achievement? By which I mean that no matter how good or bad I am, I cannot affect anyone else's performance with my skating prowess (or lack thereof), so it doesn't matter to others how good or bad I am. Whereas, in hockey, every player is part of a team effort so better and worse players have a more meaningful impact on a team's outcomes as a whole? Or is it just that hockey is more macho so that environment of skating skill competition is more standard?

Too right though, you've paid for ice time and you have every right to practise. This was the attitude I had going into skating on patch sessions for figure skaters. I knew everyone would be better than me, but I paid my money so I was gonna get my practice in. What I found over time though was that it was a bit like the gym, everyone was just there for themselves and they respected anyone else for being there because people are there to self improve and that's a worthy enough reason whatever your ability.

I guess I'm just surprised at how negative the ice hockey environment is, do you experience this regularly? If other figure skaters acted like that towards me then I think I'd really struggle mentally to keep attending sessions.

I also figured out how a mate always seems to be steaming towards the opposition goal with the puck. He hangs round between their goal and their defenders, waiting for a pass, so it’s bad defending that let’s him get away with it. This is I think basic stuff to the good players, but something new to the ignorant unwashed masses such as me.

I don't know a lot about ice hockey, but I do know that you're offside if you enter the defending area ahead of the puck. So if your friend is hanging around between the defending players and the goal while the puck action is happening in the middle or further up the rink then it sounds like it's likely he'd be offside? I guess the more likely interpretation is that he's literally hovering at the blue line before the defenders' area, but I'm just checking. I also desperately want to prove that the time I spent learning the ice hockey offside rule was worth it! ;D :D
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Laimelde

« Reply #5238 on: April 13, 2018, 01:30:27 am »
This week I learned twizzles for the first time, forwards and backwards. Is it normal that forwards twizzles are harder than backwards ones? I was a bit fearful of trying the backwards ones after only sort-of not-really managing forwards, but they seemed effortless in comparison!!

Of course, we're only talking single twizzles... nothing like those rows of them I see in comps!!  ;D

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5239 on: April 13, 2018, 01:26:58 pm »
This week I learned twizzles for the first time, forwards and backwards. Is it normal that forwards twizzles are harder than backwards ones? I was a bit fearful of trying the backwards ones after only sort-of not-really managing forwards, but they seemed effortless in comparison!!

Absolutely normal.  Enjoy twizzling!  Remember to practice both ways/all variations...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5240 on: April 13, 2018, 02:47:17 pm »
Mum got me a spinner as a well done present. My achievement so far is that I’m still in one piece and haven’t fallen over!
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Leif

« Reply #5241 on: April 14, 2018, 07:37:52 am »
:o I'm really surprised by the negative atmosphere you talk about in learning during ice hockey. What did you get shouted at for in stick 'n' puck?

I’ve probably given an unfair impression, most people are good, but a small number are over competitive. I’ve been shouted at for being out of position, for going for the puck, for not passing forwards etc.

I think the reason I'm so surprised is that as a learning free skater then I get so much positive support from people at my rink. People always want to know how I'm getting on and are always very complimentary of any progress I make, even though they're clearly way ahead of me in terms of ability. I'd go so far as to say they're enthusiastic to discuss what I'm learning and are happy to congratulate me on achievements, even though the things I'm learning must seem trivial to them these days. I would maybe expect this attitude from adults (who are also lovely), but this is coming from the kids and teenagers, which is what impresses me the most. I don't know if I'd have been so mature/friendly when I was their age.

Perhaps this is something to do with the fact that the figure skating disciplines are a largely personal achievement? By which I mean that no matter how good or bad I am, I cannot affect anyone else's performance with my skating prowess (or lack thereof), so it doesn't matter to others how good or bad I am. Whereas, in hockey, every player is part of a team effort so better and worse players have a more meaningful impact on a team's outcomes as a whole? Or is it just that hockey is more macho so that environment of skating skill competition is more standard?

Yes, it’s quite different. One person impacts the team, and some people really compete full on and get quite angry if someone lets the side down, even if that person is playing well by their own standards and ability. It’s bad form, they should encourage the less able. To be fair most are good, and do encourage the less experienced, but the problem is many do not know how. When you get a stream of well meant and good suggestions, it’s too much to take in, and others do not realise it. Only a few are good teachers. That’s why I like the rec team I am in, no-one gets dumped on, everyone is encouraged as long as they try, which we all do.

Too right though, you've paid for ice time and you have every right to practise. This was the attitude I had going into skating on patch sessions for figure skaters. I knew everyone would be better than me, but I paid my money so I was gonna get my practice in. What I found over time though was that it was a bit like the gym, everyone was just there for themselves and they respected anyone else for being there because people are there to self improve and that's a worthy enough reason whatever your ability.

I guess I'm just surprised at how negative the ice hockey environment is, do you experience this regularly? If other figure skaters acted like that towards me then I think I'd really struggle mentally to keep attending sessions.

To be honest there will always be some heated comments given the energy during a scrimmage. I get enough positive comments from people I respect that I can ignore the rest. In one year, and at the age of 54, I’ve gone from being wobbly on skates to playing ice hockey, and getting lots of positive comments from others including our coach.

I don't know a lot about ice hockey, but I do know that you're offside if you enter the defending area ahead of the puck. So if your friend is hanging around between the defending players and the goal while the puck action is happening in the middle or further up the rink then it sounds like it's likely he'd be offside? I guess the more likely interpretation is that he's literally hovering at the blue line before the defenders' area, but I'm just checking. I also desperately want to prove that the time I spent learning the ice hockey offside rule was worth it! ;D :D

Maybe I explained poorly. Generally when the opposition is in our area, that is our side of the blue line, all of our players will also be in our area, with defenders near the goal, and forwards near the blue line. This young lad hangs round near the red line, so when he gets a pass he sprints to the opposition goal. There should be at least one opposition defender marking him, but they don’t so he gets away with it.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5242 on: April 16, 2018, 10:37:18 pm »
Today I learned not to push it when I know perfectly well I'm tired.  Yes, I pushed it.  Yes, I wiped out, fairly spectacularly.  I got up laughing even though I managed to acquire big bruises on my right hip and left knee.

Why is this an achievement?  Because I took my third fall since coming back to skating, in a different style from the previous two, and despite falling forwards, still managed to avoid landing on my right knee and its metalwork.

Don't ask me what I was doing because I have no idea what was so important that I give it one last try, I'm just so happy I managed to fall without doing any real damage.  Makes me feel like a proper skater again!  ;D

Might take me a while to get up the stairs, though...   ;)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Florence

« Reply #5243 on: April 17, 2018, 12:34:27 pm »
Can't beat a good wipe out for giving you more confidence! ( I really need to fall over again soon  :-\  ) Good job Wednesday!

I passed level 7
I have now lost one whole stone in weight

AND more importantly, I got a "I was impressed with your 3 turns tonight mom" off mini me! This was soo nice 1, because they felt absolutely rubbish (continuous in a circle) and 2, Because she rarely compliments anything on my skating  ;D  I could feel her eyes boring down at me when doing cross rolls to see if I would keep my leg straight at the back and not do the bent lifty up thing she gets annoyed at!

I've been looking up Skate Uk Star Ice Dancing and a lot of it means very little to me! I wish you could get a translator app for skating.
Does anyone know of any links where it explains what each ?element entails please? I am guessing one of them is barrel rolls but not sure.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5244 on: April 17, 2018, 02:03:35 pm »
I passed level 7
I have now lost one whole stone in weight

Way to go!  That's brilliant!   :D

AND more importantly, I got a "I was impressed with your 3 turns tonight mom" off mini me!

Winning at life, Florence.  8)

I've been looking up Skate Uk Star Ice Dancing and a lot of it means very little to me! I wish you could get a translator app for skating.
Does anyone know of any links where it explains what each ?element entails please? I am guessing one of them is barrel rolls but not sure.

Try reading each part of the element separately, whilst balancing on the required foot and approximating the movement.  You'll be amazed how it becomes almost understandable!   ;D  Of course, it does help if you know exactly what goes into a Left Forward Outside Closed Mohawk and where your free leg and foot end up, so you can then see how that links to cross in front on to a Left Backward Inside edge before you step forward onto the Right Forward Inside edge to prepare to start the movement all over again...  What would be really nice is if there were handy little YouTube videos of each element, but I suspect NISA won't allow that...

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5245 on: April 18, 2018, 02:47:03 am »
My coach was sick today so I just ran my jumps as was. Then one of the elite skaters asked me to show her my attempts at Axel (which are abysmal and sad) and then went on to bring me some absolutely amazing revelations about how to think about the jump better. She then went on to get me off ice practising exercises to help getting better at it. I landed funny on my ankle at one point and it's nothing serious but I'll definitely feel it in the morning ::)

The only bad news (from my training perspective) about the rest of the day was I got so excited to catch up with one of my rink friends that I haven't seen in a month that I totally failed to prepare myself for the patch session after the public he was on, so I ended up skipping it, which means I'm behind on practise, oops! :-[

In other news, on today's public, I saw blood on the ice for the first time when a rental skate wearing ice tourist visited the rink and smacked her temple on the ice and spent a considerable amount of time being looked after by the rink first aiders while still on the ice :o After they got her off the ice some 20-30 minutes later then they coned off the blood and directed everyone off the ice so they could chip the blood off and resurface that bit. Very alarming!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:48:45 am by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5246 on: April 26, 2018, 09:33:39 am »
On Saturday I willingly attempted my 3 jump in front of people. Well when the guy you’re paired with for performance work says “I’ll do my best jump, and you do yours” you can’t really bunny hop, can you?

Other achievement is I’ve decided to do said 3 jump in our spin, spiral jump comp on Saturday. At my level you can do: bunny hop, 2 foot spin, drag, or spiral, 1 foot spin and 3 jump depending on what you’re learning :) Might also attempt my 1 foot spin. My spiral is better than my drag so I’ll definitely do that!
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy