Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630248 times)

Leif

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5181 on: February 21, 2018, 09:09:35 pm »
The heel is the place! The sad news is no one likes putting their faith in the heel of their foot when doing a turn, which is pretty understandable because it's terrifying! :D

I read some of your blog, and it put a wry smile on my face. Well worth having a look.

FamilySkater

« Reply #5182 on: February 22, 2018, 09:04:02 pm »
The heel is the place! The sad news is no one likes putting their faith in the heel of their foot when doing a turn, which is pretty understandable because it's terrifying! :D

Ah, the heel  :-\ I was hoping I'd misunderstood that part. When I tried I made scratchy sounds/feelings.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5183 on: February 22, 2018, 10:48:07 pm »
Ah, the heel  :-\ I was hoping I'd misunderstood that part. When I tried I made scratchy sounds/feelings.

Try lifting your toes in your boots. Just a small movement inside the boot, rather than attempting to actually lift the front of the blade.  It's just a small transference of weight rather than a big movement.  Also remember to bend your knees before the turn and come up as you make the turn; down up down.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5184 on: February 23, 2018, 02:23:39 pm »
I read some of your blog, and it put a wry smile on my face. Well worth having a look.

Many thanks for having a read! I always feel quite a bit of what I write is rather dry and I like the comedy sections I do more, but now that I've got past describing my skating journey up until now then I hope I can have a bit more fun with it all!

Try lifting your toes in your boots. Just a small movement inside the boot, rather than attempting to actually lift the front of the blade.  It's just a small transference of weight rather than a big movement.  Also remember to bend your knees before the turn and come up as you make the turn; down up down.

This is a much better description of what I was suggesting, your coaching experience has rescued us once again! ;D O0
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:38:12 pm by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5185 on: February 23, 2018, 05:27:22 pm »
This is a much better description of what I was suggesting, your coaching experience has rescued us once again! ;D O0

Ach, it's just working out fifty different ways of saying the same thing, as people understand things differently. 

One thing that coaching taught me is that teaching someone else is a fantastic way of improving your own technique, as you literally have to think it all through in minute detail and work out how best to break it down into digestible chunks for each different learner.  The other thing it taught me is that I can only teach for so long before my brain goes, "Nope.  I need three gallons of coffee, a packet of biscuits and a nap.  Not necessarily in that order, but definitely within the next 10 minutes."   Oh.  Wait.  Maybe it's age teaching me that...  ;D ;D ;D
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

FamilySkater

« Reply #5186 on: February 24, 2018, 02:52:36 pm »

Oh so I don't have to balance and turn on the very back point of the blade? That sounds more promising. I might just ignore it for a while. 

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5187 on: February 24, 2018, 04:26:29 pm »
Oh so I don't have to balance and turn on the very back point of the blade? That sounds more promising. I might just ignore it for a while.

I would prefer to bow to Wednesday's superior teaching on this topic as I've done relatively few of the backwards turns (I can do the two footed one, though I never use it, and aside from that then I've only worked on back outside 3 as part of a prep to help with a separate element rather than because my coach wanted me to learn all the backward 3 turns). However I can't resist having another stab at this soooooo... :D

You do do the backwards turns through the heel of your foot, but the area of blade under the heel is (mercifully) not the furthest point of the back end of the blade.

Wednesday's toe lifting suggestion is a much better way of thinking about it because raising your toes is a kind of physical trick that causes your weight to redistribute towards the heel without you consciously forcing it there (you can try this off ice just standing on the floor to feel your weight move as you do the toe lift). This should get your blade in the right spot for the turn and there's plenty of blade there, you're not on the very back point.

One of my learn to skate coaches used to do this alarming thing where he'd rock his feet back right to the very points of the back of his blades and stand up on those end points, mostly to prove it could be done, but he made it painfully clear that none of us should try to do the same! ;D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:40:29 pm by The Sacred Voice »
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

FamilySkater

« Reply #5188 on: February 25, 2018, 03:15:48 pm »

You do do the backwards turns through the heel of your foot, but the area of blade under the heel is (mercifully) not the furthest point of the back end of the blade.

Thank-you both, I think I found the spot today :) although will need loads of practice to find it every time.

Florence

« Reply #5189 on: February 27, 2018, 10:36:38 am »
I can't even visualise in my head what turn you are all talking about! It sounds very complicated though!

I passed level 6 *smug smilie*

I suspect it was a scrape through pass on my inside 3's but I passed none the less so in your face Inside 3 turns!! And now it means i have minimum 6 weeks of lessons without having to do inside 3 turns  :D  also I can have a big breathe because I have done most of level 7 before in the old 1-10 syllabus and is all stuff I like practicing,  so am very much going to enjoy the next 6 weeks of lessons, a break from the pressure and a chance to improve! Am excited!

Obviously it is the calm before the storm (Level 8  >:D , one foot spin, twizzles, and continuous 3 turns!!!) So out of lessons I shall be desperately practicing all things 3 Turn in and out before I get to that point!

It also means I really need to start to think what I want to do post levels 1-8. I always said I don't want to jump but after watching DOI this week and am rethinking that. but equally I am not going to be trying any jumping at my current BMI! 1, I would be waaaay too self conscious 2, my joints / feet already don't like supporting my weight on a daily basis, they are not going to like me jumping!  I do however like the idea of learning to spin (when I can keep my eyes open fully) and spiral type stuff. 

I have a pending date with Joe Wickes so will see how the next 3 months goes!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5190 on: February 27, 2018, 02:00:14 pm »
I passed level 6 *smug smilie*

I suspect it was a scrape through pass on my inside 3's but I passed none the less so in your face Inside 3 turns!! And now it means i have minimum 6 weeks of lessons without having to do inside 3 turns  :D 

Well done!  That's wonderful! 

But don't you dare stop thinking about or practising inside (or outside) 3 turns.  Seriously.  Do them every time you skate.  You don't have to do lots of them, just keep them going and moving on or you'll regret  letting them slide.

It also means I really need to start to think what I want to do post levels 1-8. I always said I don't want to jump but after watching DOI this week and am rethinking that. but equally I am not going to be trying any jumping at my current BMI! 1, I would be waaaay too self conscious 2, my joints / feet already don't like supporting my weight on a daily basis, they are not going to like me jumping!  I do however like the idea of learning to spin (when I can keep my eyes open fully) and spiral type stuff. 

I have a pending date with Joe Wickes so will see how the next 3 months goes!

The less weight you have to get off the ice, the happier your joints, etc will be - and the easier it will be to jump, should you decide you want to.  Losing weight through exercise alone is really, really difficult, so I'd recommend WeightWatchers (I do it online, as I'm far to (a) self-conscious and (b) outspoken to ever go to a class!) as it's based on really good theory (not all calories are equal and you will be far less likely to overeat on certain things, so there's a good list of unrestricted foods) and has worked very well for me, both in the past and since last October when I rejoined.   A vegan friend says it's also much better for vegetarians and vegans than Slimming World.  I'm taking her word for it.

Spinning is fun.  And you don't actually have to keep your eyes open if you don't want to!  I highly recommend trying SeaBands if you find it makes you dizzy.  Practice helps reduce the dizziness, too.  Jumping can be fun.  Personally, I just love beautiful flowing edges, turns, spirals and the occasional spin.  I was thrilled when the "artistic" category was brought in about 20 years ago, and I think it's especially suited to adults who may not want to throw themselves up into the air with the added risk of not coming down in quite the way they planned!

Skating is a wonderful journey.  Enjoy the progression.   8)

Florence

« Reply #5191 on: February 27, 2018, 03:15:47 pm »
Thank you WednesdayMarch  :)  I totally will be practising those 3 turns I have learn't my lesson on that score!

I have just looked at the Ice Dance levels on star and It includes Spirals and Twizzles so am edging towards that.
 I never really liked watching the jumps when I watched the Figure skating originally, I much preferred the footwork (which is why I like watching hockey skaters)  I absolutely loved Scott and Tessa's Moulin Rouge routine in the Olympics. (Although I have the much respect for jumpers and their achievements) 

I have done weight watchers before and lost weight. TBH most of my cupboard is WW products when I do try eat better anyway. Once i get my mind in the right place I do lose a few stone. Keeping it off and not putting it all back on with extra is my problem! I am trying to get into exercise as a habit at the moment so when I do stick to a diet the exercise will help not to relapse? Well that's my plan anyway.  :D  Hence the Joe Wicks DVD (15 mins morning HIT exercises)  I am tempted to do WW as well though as it does make it easier for the non food imaginative /domestic person (i.e, me)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy