Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630296 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5126 on: December 30, 2017, 10:23:41 pm »
Had a great group session today. Did some wheels, worked on a backward kick line and did some pair and group choreography challenges 😄

. . .

Tried it off ice, worked fine. So we tried on ice. I did my first on ice lift 😄

That is BRILLIANT!  The whole session sounds great but well done for your first lift!  FANTASTIC!
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5127 on: December 31, 2017, 02:28:14 pm »
Had a great group session today. Did some wheels, worked on a backward kick line and did some pair and group choreography challenges 😄

Beforehand, our group coach and a bunch of us were playing around off ice. I said I wished I was skinny enough to be lifted - group coach has been teaching some of the girls basic lifts. He said I could easily do a spiral lift with him.

Tried it off ice, worked fine. So we tried on ice. I did my first on ice lift 😄

This is very cool! I've always joked with some of the girls round the rink that we could do pair free skating together, but I've secretly always been more interested than I let on. I love watching the side-by-side jumps in the international competitions, but I know that to actually do pair free would mean I'd need to get down the gym and significantly increase my paltry muscles.
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5128 on: January 14, 2018, 09:28:14 am »
So, one of my friends knows I enjoy working with a partner, and has offered to be mine so we can begin some pairs stuff  :D

It’ll be an interesting journey, that’s for sure!
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Florence

« Reply #5129 on: January 16, 2018, 01:43:59 pm »
and has offered to be mine so we can begin some pairs stuff  :D

How awsome! Sound like could be fun.
I sometimes think pairs would be nice, then I remember how cranky I get if anyone is in my safety space  ;D 

I was looking at the old Christmas show DVD's the other day VIOI, can't believe how young you all look! (My daughter has grown so much since then)

Edited, forgot to add my achivements lol!

Passed level 5, which I am very surprised at, thought would take me a lot longer! Still need to practice, practice, practice 3 turns and back edges, but think always will else will stop again!

Next onto inside 3's  :-\  but tbh have been trying them and am not half as phobic as I used to be about them. I am aiming for two x 6 week blocks to be able to do at a level sufficient to pass.

Have also discovered this week that if I don't think about what i am trying to do, I can do it a lot better! eg, if i try to do a backward edge on it's own I will stop very quickly after going backwards. but if I aim to do into Forward edge I can do much better and actually get an arc on the Ice. i need to stop overthinking everything!

I really don't like assessment weeks, I'm so nervous inside and stiff, my back was so achy on the Ice yesterday! I don't know why because I really don't mind if i have to do the block again, I think it is just the thought of being watched!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:54:01 pm by Florence »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5130 on: January 16, 2018, 03:56:50 pm »

Passed level 5, which I am very surprised at, thought would take me a lot longer! Still need to practice, practice, practice 3 turns and back edges, but think always will else will stop again!

Next onto inside 3's  :-\  but tbh have been trying them and am not half as phobic as I used to be about them. I am aiming for two x 6 week blocks to be able to do at a level sufficient to pass.

Congratulations!  :-D 

Everybody has to practice 3 turns and edges, along with crossover and basic forward and backward skating.  Everybody.  From the new beginner to the champion.  Every day.  No exceptions.  At least, if they want to keep their standard up or progress.   ;)  Never fall into the trap of thinking that once you've done something and had it "signed off" you don't need to keep doing it.*  Use it or lose it.
Of course, the good thing is that as you continue to practice, the scary things get easier, less scary and much better.   8)

You'll conquer those forward inside threes.  And one day you'll use them in conjunction with other movements and realise that you actually really, really like doing them.
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Carrie

« Reply #5131 on: January 16, 2018, 04:33:39 pm »
Well done Florence!  Good luck with the inside 3-turns!

Must say, I did try these but not that hard and can still only do them near a barrier.  They don't come into any of the dances I do and with only skating twice a week, there's lots of other moves to practice. 

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5132 on: January 19, 2018, 10:09:14 pm »
This week I worked (again/still) on the backward three turns - and fell over on a Rbi one!  This is an achievement, because I didn't hurt myself and I'm now a lot less worried about falling from them.  Yes, I have a bit of a bruised knee and yes, it is my repaired one.  But it doesn't hurt and I don't appear to be badly damaged.  This is a massive thing for me.  Massive.   8)

Oh, and on Wednesday morning I did a camel spin.  It's been a while.  I didn't expect it to work! 

FamilySkater

« Reply #5133 on: January 23, 2018, 02:11:43 pm »
Forward crossovers.

I had the little rink to myself for a short time after everyone got off so spent about ten minutes doing figure of eights. It felt great. I had the space and the speed to get into a rhythm. I found counter-clockwise easier, it seemed like my inside foot was gliding out as my outside foot crossed over and moving forward seemed so natural. Clockwise felt like more effort, almost like my outside foot couldn't keep up, I think it was something to do with my inside foot not being enough on an outside edge or something. Dunno what's going on with my right foot lately, it's annoying me a bit.

Sadly that's the end of that rink now until autumn so I probably won't get that sort of skating opportunity again for months.

Have had 2 groups lessons so far. While it seems like really basic stuff I'm finding it so helpful, I am certain it is improving my balance, weight transfer and feeling edges.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5134 on: January 23, 2018, 02:43:02 pm »
I had the little rink to myself for a short time after everyone got off so spent about ten minutes doing figure of eights. It felt great. I had the space and the speed to get into a rhythm. I found counter-clockwise easier, it seemed like my inside foot was gliding out as my outside foot crossed over and moving forward seemed so natural. Clockwise felt like more effort, almost like my outside foot couldn't keep up, I think it was something to do with my inside foot not being enough on an outside edge or something. Dunno what's going on with my right foot lately, it's annoying me a bit.

I reckon I can probably shed some light on that.

As a complete beginner, both feet are equally puzzled by what is expected of them as they are very much out of their comfort zone and learning something new.  This is a great opportunity to ensure that both sides work equally!  It's an opportunity that's almost always missed.

Human beings are naturally predisposed to favour one side more than the other;  this shows very clearly in left or right handedness, but it is less obvious in legs and feet until we start to use them for things that are more technical than walking, etc.  There is also the fact that most rinks insist that people skate in an anticlockwise direction, so we naturally get to skate our crossovers that way far more.  And practice makes permanent...

There are people who jump and spin the other way and there are people who can do both (yes, really!) but for most people it comes more naturally, certainly after they've been skating a while, to turn in an anticlockwise direction as that's the way they get to skate around the rink - remember what I said about practice makes permanent? 

So you'll need to work far more on those clockwise crossovers.  It's uncomfortable and inconvenient to try and go against the flow of the general skating traffic, but without extra work that right foot will always feel a bit unnatural and wrong.  This goes for every other movement and turn, eg three turns, brackets, rockers, counters, mohawks, choctaws, pivots, drags, spirals...*

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.  Please don't shoot me. 

As to group lessons and learning really basic stuff, it's the basics that make the rest of it possible.  I spend an awful lot of time teaching people to skate forward properly - and these are people who have been skating for years!  But once they get the hang of it, their faces ache with smiling and their standard of skating rockets.  (And that makes it all worthwhile.)

Also, group lessons are great for the social side of skating, and that's a great part of the adult skating experience.  You don't struggle alone! 

*  I really wouldn't worry too much about jumping the other way!  I used to be able to spin in either direction but I never had the nerve to try jumping.  Oh no.  Nooooooooooo...   :o

Leif

« Reply #5135 on: January 24, 2018, 10:16:45 am »
Last night I was able to transition ACW from facing backwards to facing forwards while moving, by stepping round, then pivot on my right foot to face backwards, then repeat the whole process many times until I got too dizzy to continue. The aim of course is to be able to transition smoothly at will. Next step CW. Eeek.

I also managed CW forwards crossovers while riding the edges correctly. They were not good, probably quite lousy, with not much crossover, but they were crossovers, without the feet slipping. I'm not sure why but my right foot no longer slips on the ice while doing this. Maybe I am now leaning in to the curve, allowing the edges to dig in.

I also raced one of the younger lads, best of 3, from a standing start, he won all three convincingly. Ooops. My plan to conquer the universe has failed ...

A copy of Laura Stamm's power skating is on the way to my home.  :D Maybe just maybe I'll win a race against one of the youngsters. Or against anyone ...

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5136 on: January 24, 2018, 02:15:23 pm »
I seem to recall that it wasn't that long ago that you were really struggling with stepping from backwards to forwards, so that's great progress!  Well done!  And especially good on the CW crossovers.  Those are mardy bastards and difficult to practice so very well done there.  The lack of slipping is almost certainly because you're using your edges more.  Good stuff.

A copy of Laura Stamm's power skating is on the way to my home.  :D Maybe just maybe I'll win a race against one of the youngsters. Or against anyone ...

The fact that you are willing to actually race the youngsters indicates that you're already winning.  (They wouldn't be willing to race you if you were rubbish!)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy