Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630292 times)

transmissionoftheflame

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5588 on: December 31, 2019, 01:31:03 am »
I finally got back on the ice after a 10 year break!

How did it feel?

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5589 on: December 31, 2019, 09:24:11 am »
I finally got back on the ice after a 10 year break!

BRILLIANT!  How did you find it?  Terrifying or like you'd come home?
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Achentra

« Reply #5590 on: December 31, 2019, 02:07:02 pm »
BRILLIANT!  How did you find it?  Terrifying or like you'd come home?

A little bit terrifying, and a little bit like coming home. I'm more nervous now than I was before since I had to stop due to a herniated disk. I'm terrified of falling and hurting my back, and since it was a public skate, everyone around me was dropping like flies which stressed me out a bit. I went back this morning though, and even though it was even more packed than yesterday, I feel like I'm getting back into the swing of it!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5591 on: December 31, 2019, 02:10:01 pm »
Well done!  I'm definitely nervous now, after an unpleasant and inconvenient injury.   Apparently my game face is good, though, and most people don't realise my level of terror. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Achentra

« Reply #5592 on: December 31, 2019, 02:12:30 pm »
Well done!  I'm definitely nervous now, after an unpleasant and inconvenient injury.   Apparently my game face is good, though, and most people don't realise my level of terror.

I got myself signed up for the next set of learn to skate lessons at my rink which start next Friday, so hopefully with a little bit of coaching, I'll be back to where I was in no time! My rink's learn to skate doesn't hold official certification, and I only got to level 4 with them, but it was enough to make me confident enough to tackle even the biggest of crowds in a public skate - although I'm certainly not 12 anymore lol

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5593 on: December 31, 2019, 04:50:05 pm »
Sorry to hear about your back problems.  I suffer with my back and skating is hard on it, and yes the falls are not great.  I do 30 minutes of pilates and stretching first thing every morning religiously so I am able to carry on.  I try to keep the back supple and loose and the core muscles in good shape to offer as much support as possible to the back.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5594 on: December 31, 2019, 05:57:44 pm »
I achieved something fun in Sunday's lesson. Coach said my program run throughs were the best I've ever skated that program.
Always nice to hear when you're competing this weekend 😄
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Carrie

« Reply #5595 on: January 01, 2020, 01:31:42 pm »
Went skating this morning, first time for over two weeks. The ice was fantastic. I was really surprised to see two Zamboni at the same time! I knew we had two but haven’t seen them together.  When I spoke to the stewards after, I was told that the ice had been allowed to rest after the resurface so it had dried completely and was so smooth.  Did lots of edge work, easily got round complete circles, forward outside and inside, such a lovely feeling!  No barrier up today so plenty of room for all the beginners.  So glad I went!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5596 on: January 01, 2020, 02:18:38 pm »
Went skating this morning, first time for over two weeks. The ice was fantastic. I was really surprised to see two Zamboni at the same time! I knew we had two but haven’t seen them together.  When I spoke to the stewards after, I was told that the ice had been allowed to rest after the resurface so it had dried completely and was so smooth.  Did lots of edge work, easily got round complete circles, forward outside and inside, such a lovely feeling!  No barrier up today so plenty of room for all the beginners.  So glad I went!

This is wonderful!  Plymouth rink is closed today...

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5597 on: January 01, 2020, 02:31:44 pm »
It's nice when there hs been extra care taken over the ice, though it does frustrate me that it doesn't happen all the time.  It doesn't take much extra effort to make a big difference to the surface.  I complain when it is done poorly (doesn't do much good) but also praise when done well, which seems to have more effect.

katepilarr

« Reply #5598 on: January 01, 2020, 07:21:42 pm »
... I learned to skate in the 1950s (shame I didn’t keep going!) and the dance music was played on an organ!  When I started at Guildford in 1999, Dance Club still had someone playing the organ - couldn’t believe it - time had stopped still! ... 
an organ! can hardly believe that! /is it the instrument that is usually in churches? that what I imagined/ When I had my dancing lessons /ballroom&latin/ in the mid 1990's we still had live piano music but doubt any of the dance schools still do that.

It would be nice if there were more dancers on the forum but perhaps there are not many coaches teaching dance.  The public dance interval at Guildford has been stopped at the moment but they hope to get it back.   
Keep your icedancing. It still hasn't arrived into Adult skating here in the Czech Republic  but we now a sports pair! (And two private adult sessions during the week in between two rinks. Not bad compared to ten years ago when I started skating and there was literally nothing)

Oh, and I came to say that after two years of barely skating due to illness and not being well and fit I hope to get back on the ice. Need to sort out some coaching and mould the coach to my high british standards :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 07:25:30 pm by katepilarr »
skating in Prague and Elgin, Scotland
working on L1 and L2 field moves, upright spin& backspin, single jumps upto loop
www.youtube.com/user/catepilarr

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy