Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630226 times)

Carrie

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5577 on: December 12, 2019, 04:52:38 pm »
WednesdayMarch, On Monday I tried your edge sequence and it needs more work!  I didn't think the spread eagle would happen and it didn't  :-\ .  Instead, I carried on the inside edge into a two-foot turn, sort of twizzle to then did[size=78%] the other leg.  I had another go on Wednesday and it was a bit better but not very big.  I did it in the middle of the rink as there was a lot of traffic going around the main part of the rink.[/size]

A sequence my coach thought up consists of  four quarter edges and then a then a half circle.  This takes control to change feet at the right time! So it is: outside, inside, inside, outside, outside, if that makes sense.  I quite often do a complete circle at the end, if I have room.  It can be started LFO or LFI.  Good for the brain  ;D

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5578 on: December 12, 2019, 07:28:27 pm »
So far this week,  I've achieved doing my off ice stretches every day, and procrastinating, the latter has led to it being Thursday, and my homework still not being done. I need to get it done by Saturday, so I can practice on the ice before Sunday's lesson.

I need to put together, and write down using the proper abbreviations, an 8 step choreographic sequence. Must include a mohawk and one kind of turn at a minimum.
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5579 on: December 12, 2019, 10:42:11 pm »
WednesdayMarch, On Monday I tried your edge sequence and it needs more work!  I didn't think the spread eagle would happen and it didn't  :-\ .  Instead, I carried on the inside edge into a two-foot turn, sort of twizzle to then did the other leg.  I had another go on Wednesday and it was a bit better but not very big.  I did it in the middle of the rink as there was a lot of traffic going around the main part of the rink.

Don't worry that the spread eagle isn't very big, just keep trying and it will get bigger.  I've always been rubbish at spread eagles but this actually helps.  I know exactly what you're doing with the kind of two-foot twizzle and that's a nice version, too.  I taught that one the week before.  8)

A sequence my coach thought up consists of  four quarter edges and then a then a half circle.  This takes control to change feet at the right time! So it is: outside, inside, inside, outside, outside, if that makes sense.  I quite often do a complete circle at the end, if I have room.  It can be started LFO or LFI.  Good for the brain  ;D
  I shall attempt to get my brain around it!  Thank you. 
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5580 on: December 16, 2019, 07:20:47 am »
I managed to keep calm. Yesterday I started crossovers in the centre circle and after a short while a figure skater came into the circle, so I had to stop. This happened five times during my session. The fifth time I asked what was going on and got told it was reserved for figure skaters and I was told in an aggressive voice to “get out of here”. So I left the ice, and had a word with a steward, who went to speak with the young woman. Needless to say the centre circle is for anyone to practice. But I wasn’t in a mood to continue, so spoke to some friends and went hime.

My hockey is improving, I am much more stable, I don’t think I fell once in the last two or three sessions. So skating lessons with a figure skater really do work. But drills progress slowly. The one foot slalom looks good until you realise I can’t get any power. Backwards crossovers are decent, forwards CW is not up to standard, and I really am struggling to get it down. Lots of practice, taking it slowly is perhaps the answer although getting clear ice in a public session is not easy. I can only assume I have some bad muscle memory I need to correct. Three turns (FO) are okay, I can consistently do them on either foot, but need to work on controlling the exit more.

black

• Skate free
« Reply #5581 on: December 16, 2019, 12:00:15 pm »
This happened five times during my session. The fifth time I asked what was going on and got told it was reserved for figure skaters and I was told in an aggressive voice to “get out of here”.

What a B! - I really dislike this kind of thing; when it's (mostly) an Olympic size pad (60x30 metres) it's not difficult to respect one another's space.

When I own an ice rink, this credo will be displayed;

We all love skating
      Let us all get along &
 we can skate again tomorrow

On a personal note, I've finished work for Christmas; yay! And so went for a 2:45 skate this morning; happy days.
The greatest trick figure skaters ever pulled, was convincing the world it was easy.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5582 on: December 16, 2019, 01:24:41 pm »
I managed to keep calm. Yesterday I started crossovers in the centre circle and after a short while a figure skater came into the circle, so I had to stop. This happened five times during my session. The fifth time I asked what was going on and got told it was reserved for figure skaters and I was told in an aggressive voice to “get out of here”. So I left the ice, and had a word with a steward, who went to speak with the young woman. Needless to say the centre circle is for anyone to practice. But I wasn’t in a mood to continue, so spoke to some friends and went home.

As a figure skater, that makes me really, really cross.  I really appreciate anyone who is actively trying to improve their skating, rather than just roughhousing around and a person wearing hockey skates who is trying to improve their skating basics should be praised to the rafters and encouraged, not treated like dirt.  Because that is a really difficult thing to do!  That young woman was bang out of order.  If I'd been the steward or duty manager, I'd have had her off that ice, for at least the duration of that session, if not a week.  She was bang out of order.

My hockey is improving, I am much more stable, I don’t think I fell once in the last two or three sessions. So skating lessons with a figure skater really do work.

Is this the bit where I get to look smug and say, "I told you so"?  :D

But drills progress slowly. The one foot slalom looks good until you realise I can’t get any power. Backwards crossovers are decent, forwards CW is not up to standard, and I really am struggling to get it down. Lots of practice, taking it slowly is perhaps the answer although getting clear ice in a public session is not easy. I can only assume I have some bad muscle memory I need to correct. Three turns (FO) are okay, I can consistently do them on either foot, but need to work on controlling the exit more.

Progress in the right direction is still progress.  Skating is hard.  And even harder if you're having to unlearn old habits and replace them with new.  One foot slalom needs to really use the whole leg; the ankle to really carve the edges, and the knee bend and rise should create what I call the "secret push" as you rise up.  It has a lot to do with moving the weight further back on the blade and using the rocker to create an unseen, but definitely there, extra bit of momentum.  If you watch elite skaters performing their programmes, you should notice some sequences of edges and turns that are all performed on one foot, seamlessly, usually in a serpentine pattern or straight from end to end of the rink.  They can do this because they know how to get that extra power.  (My plie exercise from edge class is the start of learning to utilise this.)  I find ice dancers teach it more than free skaters, although that may be changing now that the technical requirements of skating have changed considerably and field moves have been introduced.  Certainly, none of the people I've met at my local rink have ever heard of it, with the exception of the wife of one coach who was a British champion (and she was an ice dance coach.)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5583 on: December 16, 2019, 01:30:59 pm »
What a B! - I really dislike this kind of thing; when it's (mostly) an Olympic size pad (60x30 metres) it's not difficult to respect one another's space.

Exactly. I kept calm and didn't make a drama out of it, life's too short. The steward will have had words.

Is this the bit where I get to look smug and say, "I told you so"?  :D

Well spotted ... over to you ....  ;D

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5584 on: December 16, 2019, 03:38:53 pm »
I landed a waltz-toe combination yesterday, felt like I BARELY got the toe loop out but coach said I landed both jumps, and he knows what he's on about so I'll just take the compliment! Not to be confused with a toe-waltz. I don't do those :)

I also discovered that inside twizzles are quite nice when you get a rhythm going :)
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

Leif

« Reply #5585 on: December 16, 2019, 10:03:01 pm »
Progress in the right direction is still progress.  Skating is hard.  And even harder if you're having to unlearn old habits and replace them with new.  One foot slalom needs to really use the whole leg; the ankle to really carve the edges, and the knee bend and rise should create what I call the "secret push" as you rise up.  It has a lot to do with moving the weight further back on the blade and using the rocker to create an unseen, but definitely there, extra bit of momentum.  If you watch elite skaters performing their programmes, you should notice some sequences of edges and turns that are all performed on one foot, seamlessly, usually in a serpentine pattern or straight from end to end of the rink.  They can do this because they know how to get that extra power.  (My plie exercise from edge class is the start of learning to utilise this.)  I find ice dancers teach it more than free skaters, although that may be changing now that the technical requirements of skating have changed considerably and field moves have been introduced.  Certainly, none of the people I've met at my local rink have ever heard of it, with the exception of the wife of one coach who was a British champion (and she was an ice dance coach.)

Thank you. An ex pro hockey player friend also told me to have the weight more towards the heel. Oddly enough I’m accidentally learning to create a push after exiting a FO three turn, maybe it’s the same idea. I think my issue is in part not knowing when to drop down, and when to push by extending the leg. The ankle can carve the edge, albeit not well.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 07:30:52 am by Leif »

Leif

« Reply #5586 on: December 23, 2019, 01:18:03 pm »
I surprised myself by managing a forward outside 3 turn followed by a backwards inside 3 turn on my right leg, and then on my left leg. I wondered what would happen if I tried, and it worked.  :D I can now routinely do it on my right leg, on the left the FO 3 turn needs more work. One big problem though is that I shed speed during the second 3 turn leaving me with very little momentum afterwards. I even managed three consecutive 3 turns on my right leg. They are fun.

I am getting better at the one foot slalom thanks in part to advice from WednesdayMarch -  O0 . I am working on making the C cuts larger and getting the push but it's damned hard. I'm not sure if this is a strength issue, or I haven't yet got the technique e.g. timing. I suspect the latter case.

Repeated drills are noticeably improving my balance. I had a group hockey session last Thursday evening with an ex pro hockey player. I asked him about his skating and he said he didn't have any skating lessons. I guess he learnt young, and some people seem to pick up good technique naturally.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 12:22:29 am by Leif »

Achentra

« Reply #5587 on: December 31, 2019, 12:26:40 am »
I finally got back on the ice after a 10 year break!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy