Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630284 times)

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5434 on: July 16, 2019, 04:01:36 pm »
2 silver medals achieved on Saturday - 1 for the solo, 1 for the adult show and skate group.

Very, very happy, considering how nervous I was before the solo skate!

Link for you all: https://www.instagram.com/tv/Bz-XgBQhfB8/?igshid=144fbfff3b9sp
Inclusive Skater :)
IS Masters FD World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Pairs Level 2 World Champion 2021 🥇
IS Free Skate Level 3 Bronze Medalist 2021 🥉

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5435 on: July 16, 2019, 09:39:35 pm »
Very well done!   8)  (I've already told you what I thought via Instagram!)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5436 on: July 22, 2019, 09:23:05 pm »
I had my first ever skating lesson at 9:30 am last Saturday, at the Ice Sports Centre. I was rather apprehensive, and my coach, Lucy, has so much grace and poise that I felt I should apologise and leave the ice.  ;D She explained that we were going back to basics, to develop correct skating technique, rather than the typical self taught style I have.

She made me do lots of simple drills, pushing me (verbally, though a physical push would have helped in the later stages) into moves I’d not tried before, such as a forward crossover with the outside leg crossed over into the centre, and the inside leg pushing on the outside. Not that I managed that one.  :( However, I practised a few things at the main rink later that day, and this morning, and did a better job. I also realised what she meant by using your outside edge in the forward stride. That confused me lots, I could not figure out how to use the outside edge on the extending leg! Doh!

Sorry to ramble on, but the positive outcome is that there is much to improve, and with luck a half decent hockey skater will emerge on the other side.  :)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5437 on: July 23, 2019, 08:08:54 am »
Well done!  Your skating will improve exponentially.  This is great!  8)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5438 on: July 23, 2019, 01:08:03 pm »
Your skating will improve exponentially.

Thanks, I hope so. I've watched several people take one on one tuition, and been impressed at the progress they have made.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5439 on: July 26, 2019, 07:00:03 am »
Leif, is that the new place that's opened? Looks very interesting from what I've seen on their website.

Anyway, my achievement is that for the past 2 weeks, I've added an extra practice to my schedule. I think it's paying off, if nothing else I get a solid hour in with no friends to distract me, and the ice is quiet so I can safely practice all my backwards skills.

Leif

« Reply #5440 on: July 26, 2019, 01:11:11 pm »
Leif, is that the new place that's opened? Looks very interesting from what I've seen on their website.

It is, and it is. It's kinda small, but there's no public skaters hurtling around, getting in the way of lessons, and of course us hockey gorillas can wear our gorilla costumes on ice, and knock pucks about.

Anyway, my achievement is that for the past 2 weeks, I've added an extra practice to my schedule. I think it's paying off, if nothing else I get a solid hour in with no friends to distract me, and the ice is quiet so I can safely practice all my backwards skills.

:D Best time for backwards skating.

Leif

« Reply #5441 on: July 31, 2019, 08:41:39 pm »
I had my second lesson last Sunday, and very good it was too. She had me doing crossovers again, where only one leg pushes, first one leg, then the other, then repeated in the opposite rotational direction. And then backwards inside edges, skating in an arc on one leg, swapping leg every few seconds. The first time I tried, I fell backwards onto my rear, at which point she said “right, you’ve got padding on, so get up and try again”.  ;D So I did. Marvellous, why mess around when you can master someting?  :D I like her teaching, she knows exactly what I need to do in order to do the requested move, so when I do something wrong, she knows how to correct me, years of experience skating and teaching I guess. I’ve had friends try to teach me something, and I usually give up.

I also had three hour long hockey lessons. The two hour hockey session on Thursday was cancelled as the ice had melted  ;D so I cheered myself up with extra hockey at the weekend. I had two sessions on Saturday but felt nauseous after 90 minutes, too hot I think. The Sunday session was amazing, the coach teaches PE to primary school children in the week, and clearly was ideally suited to the task at hand.  ::) She taught me to receive the puck correctly, and to stick handle without looking at the puck. It’s odd how some people communicate information, whilst others teach a skill. She is in the latter group.

I also spent some time each evening in my garden practicing my wrist shot, using a newly purchased full size hockey goal. It’s a hard skill to learn. I think Dave, the coach who gave me lessons in shooting, was getting quite frustrated at my ineptitude, but tried to hide it as he’s so nice.  :o I don’t think goalies are going to be trembling in their pads at my approach just  yet. Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5442 on: August 10, 2019, 10:00:23 am »
My back three turns are, well, back!  Which took me completely by surprise, as they haven't had much of a look in over the past couple of weeks while I concentrated on the forward inside ones (the left was terrifyingly grim) and spent most of my time teaching mohawks and two foot turns from forwards to backwards.  Then, all of a sudden, I found that I could do the FM L3 Exercise that had been defeating me for months.  Skating is weird.

VisuallyImpairedOnIce

« Reply #5443 on: August 11, 2019, 08:49:36 pm »
My flexibility has massively improved - after a week of stretching daily, I can now get my foot onto our barrier :)

Weeyin

« Reply #5444 on: August 12, 2019, 04:36:51 pm »
I haven’t skated much the last few months. A combination of huge workload, moving house and awaiting hospital results has put skating bottom of my priorities. And I’m an all or nothing kind of person - the less I do of something, the less I want to do. I was becoming worried that this may in fact be the end of my skating. However, I still went to lessons although my coach has been away loads too. Anyway I went to a practice session yesterday and just ploughed away mainly at the sit spin I’ve been trying to mater for about 18 months! And I have fallen back in love with skating. I felt strong and confident and just loved it. A few people commented on how happy I looked on the ice and I even got a compliment on my sit spin! Super happy to be back to the land of the ice and get back into it again 👍

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy