Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630184 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5357 on: March 15, 2019, 06:02:45 pm »
This week I managed to skate twice, fall over in a completely hilarious and non-painful way (went for a FI three turn on too steep an edge and just swooped down in a relaxed manner till I was flat), practiced mohawks (all variations) until they became much smoother and also started practicing my backward three turns again.  I'm still scared when I skate, but I'm feeling better about it.  (I really shouldn't ever take time off again!)

I also made a big decision...

A while ago, I read an article about how these days everybody seems to be expected to make their "thing" into their job or "side hustle", whereas we used to do things just as hobbies, without being expected to make money out of it.  That really resonated with me.  And although I do make my "living" - can you hear me laughing? - at two of the things I enjoy most, ie sewing and music, I come under constant pressure when I'm at the rink to start teaching skating again, to do the new tests, to sort out my professional qualifications, etc and coach.  It was starting to make me feel a bit anxious and when I read that article I realised that for pretty much the first time since I was about 11, I have the opportunity to skate for the sheer joy of it and enjoy the social side on a completely even playing field, too.  I have no ridiculous rivalries to worry about, no "skating mothers" to deal with and no pressure of anything, other than possibly staying upright and not writing myself off again.  People ask me for help and I am delighted to oblige - if I can - but it's as a friend rather than a professional.  I really, really enjoy teaching and it helps me get my head round things I thought I'd forgotten and that don't come naturally any more but I don't want to coach it professionally.  And that's okay.  Phew.  :)

As you were.

<wanders off whistling>
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5358 on: March 20, 2019, 08:05:29 pm »
WednesdayMarch: I’m guessing, but I reckon you make bag pipes for a living.

I’ve started going to the gym, and having an hour each week with a personal trainer who teaches me stretches, and exercises, and then stands over me tutting if I don’t work hard enough. (I made that last bit up.) To be honest I’ve always felt intimidated by the thought of the gym, being surrounded by ‘beautiful people’, and having them look down their perfectly formed muscular noses at me. But I get free membership with my current job.  I recommend it. In the last few skating sessions, I’ve surprised myself and others with my speed, a friend struggled to keep up with me last night, and I outpaced one of our better skaters on Saturday, which I put down to increased flexibility from gym exercises. And with a bit of luck it will improve my agility. I regularly practise skating on one leg and raising and lowering my upper body by bending the knee on the skating leg, good on the right leg, not so good on my left leg. I still am nowhere near doing a spreadeagle, can’t even do a Mohawk. :( I’m old, and stiff, with tight ligaments, but who knows, I might loosen up given time and hard work.

I recently read an interesting excellent article in the Guardian. With age nerve impulses slow down, reaction times increase and muscle and bone reduce. Exercise can slow or even reverse the decline.  :D I live in hope ...

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5359 on: March 20, 2019, 09:15:30 pm »
WednesdayMarch: I’m guessing, but I reckon you make bag pipes for a living.

Leif, have you been cyberstalking me?!  :o  Actually, no.  But I can play them...

I recently read an interesting excellent article in the Guardian. With age nerve impulses slow down, reaction times increase and muscle and bone reduce. Exercise can slow or even reverse the decline.  :D I live in hope ...

I spent a fair while this morning trying to get the hang of forward inside rockers.  Turns out I'm not bad at forward inside counters...  ;D  But by the time I got home from the rink, I was fit for absolutely nothing.  Although I wasn't exactly having a cardio workout, it would appear that having to get through to my nerve-damaged leg what I require of it totally fries my brain.  My normal "weaker" leg copes much better with learning new things, even though it feels like it shouldn't.  But I'll get there.  I can do the FI rockers, just not well.  Yet.

But I'm not going to the gym.  No way.  No how.  You can't make me.  My mother sent a note.  And anyway, I'm sure it's against my religion...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Leif

« Reply #5360 on: March 27, 2019, 07:45:50 pm »
Leif, have you been cyberstalking me?!  :o  Actually, no.  But I can play them...

Not since the restraining order was imposed. Play? Always sounds like a small mammal in pain. Can you play It’s a Long Way to The Top by AC/DC?

I spent a fair while this morning trying to get the hang of forward inside rockers.  Turns out I'm not bad at forward inside counters...  ;D  But by the time I got home from the rink, I was fit for absolutely nothing.  Although I wasn't exactly having a cardio workout, it would appear that having to get through to my nerve-damaged leg what I require of it totally fries my brain.  My normal "weaker" leg copes much better with learning new things, even though it feels like it shouldn't.  But I'll get there.  I can do the FI rockers, just not well.  Yet.

But I'm not going to the gym.  No way.  No how.  You can't make me.  My mother sent a note.  And anyway, I'm sure it's against my religion...

Seriously, since going to the gym and doing stretching exercises, I fall less while practising and during hockey, I feel more agile, and the pain I’ve had for months in the lower back has gone. However, I suspect that a finely honed athlete such as yourself does stretches anyway, as part of achieving your high level of performance. Especially with a less than optimal leg. (I have two, of those, but that’s another story.)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5361 on: March 27, 2019, 08:43:23 pm »
Can you play It’s a Long Way to The Top by AC/DC?

Obvs.  Although I prefer Thunderstruck.

However, I suspect that a finely honed athlete such as yourself does stretches anyway, as part of achieving your high level of performance. Especially with a less than optimal leg. (I have two, of those, but that’s another story.)

Er, yeah...?  <looks a bit shifty>

Actually, once again, no.  No, I don't do anything in the way of stretches at all.  Maybe in the morning when I open the curtains and check on the rain/mist/fog/cloud situation, but that's only because I'm short.  I am definitely not a "finely honed athlete".  And there's no high level of performance.  I know how it's done, but these days I reckon I produce what one of my old coaches would call "tidy rubbish"!  Apparently it looks like I know what I'm doing and that I'm comfortable doing it, which is great because I am, for the most part, more than a bit terrified.

I really won't go to the gym, though.  As my right patella is still slightly out of alignment, running, cycling, rowing, etc are not possible without a massively swollen knee in a matter of minutes.  I really can't see the point.  I don't go to yoga, pilates or exercise classes either because, well, people...

But for the past two weeks I've skated twice a week, which makes me happy and definitely helps me improve.  Today's attempts at the forward inside rockers were much better, as were the double threes (which is good, because I was teaching somebody else how to do them!)

Getting better at spreadeagles, too.  Never thought that would happen.

Leif

« Reply #5362 on: April 01, 2019, 07:46:41 pm »
I did almost two hours hockey this morning, from 9:15 am. The first 45 minutes was free form drills and practice. I finally managed an anti clockwise tight turn while carrying the puck with the stick, and riding the edges correctly. I could do it in public skating, but for some reason it eluded me when kitted up as I just could not get the edges. I still can’t do forwards crossovers clockwise while carrying the puck. I’m also getting better at backwards crossovers in kit, as I was practising a couple one side, then a couple the other side and so on. It’s a good way to get some speed. We then had an hour scrimmage, only five players on our side, so by the end I was shattered.

I’m sure this lark is as hard as figure skating, as there is so much I have to learn, but it’s not so scary.

PS why does Apple auto correct work so poorly?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 09:26:32 pm by Leif »

Squeeze

« Reply #5363 on: April 01, 2019, 08:40:35 pm »
I had a much better skate today, new skates although still far from perfect didn’t give me intense cramps from the off. I tried leaving them looser across the foot and tight across the ankle, I’m fearing I’ve a bunion starting!! Bump on side of big toe joint so I’m desperate for it not to get worse otherwise I’ll be skate shopping again and dh will divorce me! Or investigate heat molding them but I worry if it will make them tighter!!
I must have skated better as they passed my silver dance! Twizzles still iffy but must have been good while they watched. And so into gold next lesson.. kids holidays here for the next month so doubt I’ll be having any extra practice.

physichull

« Reply #5364 on: April 05, 2019, 04:30:39 pm »
Crossovers just clicked today. I've now upped my success rate to well above 80% I'd say. Did have one fall today when attempting a crossover and my undercutting foot just went away from me and went down right onto my left knee! Got a lovely looking bruise!

I blame my skates though, not my lack of skills! (no seriously!) Taken them to get sharpened as the edges just feel really dull and slippery, I aren't getting that bite that I used to get. Probably done 15-20 hours on them. I was wondering as a beginner when it would be that I'd be able to tell. I noticed that they felt slippery yesterday but confirmed it today. They are getting sharpened now so should be good to go again on Friday.

Even stopping and snowploughing was proving tricky as my skates would just slide over the ice. I think the reason is because I spent a long time just practising stops (well, learning how to do them in the first place too!) and its dulled them fairly quickly to the point that I just can't stop as sharply as I once could.

Leif

« Reply #5365 on: April 06, 2019, 09:35:49 pm »
15-20 hours is a decent amount of time on a sharpen. So yes, they would have needed redoing. It’s worth getting an edge gauge, to check your edges. Bear in kind that how much grip you get depends not only on your edges, but on the ice and your weight. If you’re heavy, then your blades wil dig in more, and if the ice is hard, you’ll struggle to grip.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 09:47:53 am by Leif »

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5366 on: April 10, 2019, 09:53:05 pm »
Didn't think I was going to achieve much this week, as it was a lot more crowded than our usual Wednesday morning session.  Far too many people for the resident session coach to cater for all at once, so I helped some of more nervous learners.  One was complaining that although she's had "one to four" signed off, she's still struggling with two-foot turns, which are apparently in Level 3 but she finds really hard.  I said, that was much like Field Moves, as one of the exercises for Level 3 FM is - IMHO - was harder than many of the things in higher levels.  I then demonstrated said FM and found that instead of being as wimpy and abysmal as normal, I just did it quite smoothly.   :o  It's the exercise with the forward and backward three turns, all types.  I've been fighting it for over a year and all of a sudden it just happened, I think because I did it on a much smaller scale than before.  I did watch a video of somebody practising it and they did much smaller lobes, so I guess that went into my head and it works!

I need a nap now.  ;D

physichull

« Reply #5367 on: April 11, 2019, 12:18:27 pm »
With my limited experience of skating lessons, I've found that people were too readily getting signed off on Level 1 & 2 despite not really showing (in my opinion) that much accomplishment in all of the disciplines. Its like....they did the manoeuvres and all that, they just either did them really slowly or really sloppily and never really seemed to improve to the next week either.

Not that I'm bitter much, after an administration error meant that they didn't have a Level 1 and Level 2 pass certificate for me...

Heading back tomorrow with freshly sharpened skates. Its going to be interesting to see whether it will improve my skating or just point out all the flaws in my technique that I've been building up!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy