Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630255 times)

Snufkin

Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5082 on: December 10, 2017, 12:27:50 pm »
I was feeling pretty down at the start of the session today. Then in my private lesson my coach taught me a little sequence that involved three turns, crossovers and stepping forward (I don't know if there's a name for it, one variation involved a FO 3 and then a back crossover, the other involved a FI 3 and then stepping into a forward crossover, and you alternate directions). Then after I got it pretty smooth she told me that was from field moves level 4. I'm sure she picked something that played to my strengths to cheer me up but I couldn't have felt better about having learned a skill from that sort of level (I'm still working on SkUk type stuff on the whole). I could have just cried with happiness.

I've also got much more confident on my bunny hops, drags, and teapots, all of which are such fun things to do but make me feel really self conscious because most of the adults don't do them at my rink so I associate them with the young children :') but I always have a good time with them when I do try.
Started skating August 2017

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5083 on: December 10, 2017, 02:49:52 pm »
Well, that's rather marvellous.  8)  I can empathise, as I was feeling truly rubbish and very frustrated at coming back to skating and just not being able to do "anything" when one of the coaches at Plymouth suggested I practice that very exercise (which is Field Moves Level 4, Exercise 1) and it's a really good one.  Not only is it very good for building up power and flow, it's also seems to be very good for the spirits, in that it feels like "proper skating", if you know what I mean!  I work on it a lot and I'm reliably informed that it's a nice one to watch, too.

And I know exactly what you mean about bunny hops, drags and teapots...   
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5084 on: December 10, 2017, 04:58:09 pm »
I was feeling pretty down at the start of the session today. Then in my private lesson my coach taught me a little sequence that involved three turns, crossovers and stepping forward (I don't know if there's a name for it, one variation involved a FO 3 and then a back crossover, the other involved a FI 3 and then stepping into a forward crossover, and you alternate directions). Then after I got it pretty smooth she told me that was from field moves level 4.

My coach has me doing that exact same sequence semi-regularly. I thought she'd forgotten about it until recently when we went back to it and I was rubbish at it again! Glad to know it's such a high level move compared to what I'm normally doing  :D
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5085 on: December 13, 2017, 02:47:11 pm »
"Give me a Field Move to work on, please, Beth," I requested of the resident coach on the session I attend on Wednesday mornings.  This morning's little gem is Level 3, Exercise 2 - Forward and Backward Three Turns.  Oh goody.  But just what I needed.  I can do forward outside and inside threes quite happily, but since coming back to skating I've discovered that my backward threes have all but disappeared and I don't like doing them.  This may have something to do with the fact that my brain is still unhappy with the dance blades and their truncated heel but my husband did point out the other day (when I was whinging) that my poor brain and right leg actually have a fair bit to contend with at the moment to relearn this skating lark.  If I think back, post-op, learning to just walk again wasn't exactly a breeze so...

So I decided to knuckle down and just try.  It turns out that I can do them.  All variations.  Not every time and not particularly stylishly but that will come with practice.  So I shall practice them.

It wasn't that many weeks ago that the Level 4 Exercise 1 with the FI three turns was terrifying me (especially on the right leg) and now I love it. 

I'm going to get there!   8)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:57:52 am by WednesdayMarch »
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

Snufkin

« Reply #5086 on: December 13, 2017, 03:03:18 pm »
Brilliant, congratulations :D It's fantastic that you can push through despite having had such a nasty injury, it must be frightening at times.

I haven't yet worked up the courage to try backwards three turns, even though my group coach asked me to last week. I was just thinking today that I'm badly in need of a session really focusing on three turns. I always get an anxiety spike when I do them and I need to flatten that as there isn't really any reason for them to be so scary.
Started skating August 2017

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5087 on: December 13, 2017, 09:57:02 pm »
Thank you!  I'm quite pleased to find that I can do them after all, as they have been worrying me.  (Actually, pretty much everything is worrying me, as there's so much to relearn!)

I always get an anxiety spike when I do them and I need to flatten that as there isn't really any reason for them to be so scary.

If it's any consolation, most people feel that way at some point - often at more than one point!  Many of the adult learners I see on Wednesdays are really struggling with them, and one refuses point blank to have anything to do with them at all.  Personally, I really like them and always have (although obviously I had to fight them and win at first, and I do remember learning them with the aid of the barrier nearly 40 years ago) but relearning them has been very scary and that situation is ongoing.  You are not alone!

Florence

« Reply #5088 on: December 14, 2017, 07:57:06 am »
You are definitely not alone Snufkin! I don't know what it is about 3 turns that makes me dislike them so much. I have developed a mini phobia to them! I really have to force myself to practice them and still cant do one on my Left foot because feels so un natural that can't lift my foot. I will probably not pass level 5 again because of these! And the crazy thing is, I passed them on the old 1 - 10 levels few years ago so could do them (although took me a while to learn them initially)  :D It's definitely psychological.

When I do finally get them, am going to make sure I do them every time I skate in future. At least have learnt a lesson there!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5089 on: December 14, 2017, 12:06:55 pm »
When I do finally get them, am going to make sure I do them every time I skate in future. At least have learnt a lesson there!

Ah, Florence, you've hit on the real secret to skating right there.  There are definitely things that you should do every time you skate, whether you like them or not, and those things are forward and backward stroking, forward crossovers, backward crossovers, edges/glides with beautifully extended free leg and three turns.  Preferably all variations of those pesky three turns.

I was slaying demons this morning, as the rink at Eden opened for a general session at 10am, which is earlier than usual, and there was just me, a steward and 2 parents with tiny tots, who stayed at the edge, so I was able to have the space and quiet to really practice properly.  So I did.

I actually practiced backward crossovers (which are my biggest, actual nausea-inducing, fear since my accident) and I'm quite chuffed with myself for doing it.  And then I worked on that FM with the forward and backward three turns.  All of 'em.  Including the set I forgot about yesterday...  ::)  I am definitely getting there.  They're not perfect or pretty yet, and they need a lot more speed and fluidity, but I can mostly get the turn and stay on the edge afterwards.  Next is nailing the free foot position.  Rah!   :D

When I say, "next", obviously I mean after a nap...

Florence

« Reply #5090 on: December 14, 2017, 12:49:55 pm »
I shall remember those every time things!  Thank you  :)  always makes me grin when you say you need a nap, because that is so me! 

I went for a gym induction last week and when he asked me my goals, for once i didn't say to lose weight, it was to try get stronger arms and legs and more stamina! I was quite pleased with that as my default has always been to lose weight ( I really do need to lose a few stone minimum though) I think I may be acting my age at last and being realistic.......

or reality is, it's all about the skating  ;)

Leif

« Reply #5091 on: December 14, 2017, 01:22:46 pm »
When I say, "next", obviously I mean after a nap...

Now there's a statement I can empathise with. I don't know if it's age, but I tend to take a good nap on saturday to prepare myself for skating (hockey) later in the evening.

It's interesting to hear some of you referring to fear in regard to certain moves. Backwards to forwards transitions scare me witless. The amazing thing is that you figure skaters wear no pads, unlike me. I will try to push myself a bit more, and get over the fear barrier!

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5092 on: December 14, 2017, 03:01:00 pm »
I'm 49 and my spirit animal is Orinocco...  Whereas once I could skate all day, these days I do need a nice nap - usually after about 40 minutes!

It's interesting to hear some of you referring to fear in regard to certain moves. Backwards to forwards transitions scare me witless. The amazing thing is that you figure skaters wear no pads, unlike me. I will try to push myself a bit more, and get over the fear barrier!

Backwards to forwards?  Literally stepping from a backward edge to a forward one?  That shouldn't be causing you a problem.  Take it slowly and just skate backwards on one foot, keeping the free foot very close to the skating foot, ideally in a "T" position, or with heels together and feet at right angles.  Then turn your entire body in the direction you want to go, lead with the same arm as currently free foot, bend your knees and push onto that free foot in a forwards direction. 

Of course, if you're talking about "two foot turns", then you're on your own, mate.  They're mardy bastards.   :P

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy