Author Topic: What did you achieve this week  (Read 630157 times)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
Re: What did you achieve this week
« Reply #5071 on: November 21, 2017, 07:33:18 pm »
Yesterday, I thought I was conquering twizzles.  Then I got home, thought about it a bit more and decided that they're actually double threes.  Guess what I'll be working on again tomorrow...   ::)
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5072 on: November 24, 2017, 02:39:31 pm »
This week I achieved one halfway decent right forward inside twizzle.  And I fell over.  Not from the twizzle, but from a LFO closed mohawk (Foxtrot) where I leaned a bit far back on the second edge and appear to have forgotten that I skate on dance blades now, which are much shorter...

But I lived!  That was my first fall since 9.20am on the 22nd March 1999.  Glad I got that over with.

Oh, and it appears I can actually spin on dance blades.  Not overly impressively but I can still do it.  Ish. 

And now I need a nap...
Returned to the ice in Sept 2017 after a major leg injury in 1999. Skating in Jackson Elite Pro & MK Vision Syncro. Still scary after all these years.

FamilySkater

« Reply #5073 on: November 27, 2017, 08:01:44 pm »
That was my first fall since 9.20am on the 22nd March 1999.  Glad I got that over with.

:o
How are you now? Are you okay? I'm dreading falling over, terrified of smash landing on my knees.

I had to watch slow mo videos of twizzles and double threes to know what you're talking about, they look very impressive.

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5074 on: November 27, 2017, 10:09:26 pm »
:o
How are you now? Are you okay? I'm dreading falling over, terrified of smash landing on my knees.

I had to watch slow mo videos of twizzles and double threes to know what you're talking about, they look very impressive.

I'm fine! Thank you.  Spouse has taken to referring to my backside as my "airbag", because that's what I landed on, but I'm also terrified of landing on my knees as the right one had to have the kneecap taken off and realigned after my wipeout in 1999 and I can't even kneel on it without screaming (screws).  It should be pointed out that most falls are perfectly fine.  It's the ones when you least expect them (from something like catching a blade in a loose lace, hitting a foreign body on the ice, etc) that do the damage. 

I wish my twizzles and double threes looked even slightly impressive!  At the moment, they really don't.  But I'll get there...   ;)

Leif

« Reply #5075 on: November 28, 2017, 10:33:47 pm »
Wow, that injury sounds nasty.  :(

Just get some pads, and ignore the comments from others. Then again, I'm a hockey player, we'll all big girl's blouses, unlike you figure skaters.  ;D (There's more truth than jest in that remark!)

WednesdayMarch

• Nicer when fed...
« Reply #5076 on: November 28, 2017, 11:04:37 pm »
Wow, that injury sounds nasty.  :(

Just get some pads, and ignore the comments from others. Then again, I'm a hockey player, we'll all big girl's blouses, unlike you figure skaters.  ;D (There's more truth than jest in that remark!)

One of the ladies at the session I go to every week wears knee pads.  Unfortunately, they wouldn't have prevented the original injury and they'd just get in the way.  I quite understand why some people wear them, though!

The worst part of the injury was coming round after the operation and finding that I had no control whatsoever over my right leg.  The surgeon had to perform a "lateral release", which involved removing the thigh muscle from the bone just above the knee, in order to release the patella and realign it.  I had 2 screws, 17 staples and massive amounts of pain and was completely incapable of moving my leg.  Nothing.  I had to literally pick it up using both hands or hook my good foot underneath and move it that way.  Whilst trying not to scream.  I was imprisoned in a steel leg brace and had months of physio - which I did religiously - and had to relearn to walk.  Even today, 14 years after the operation (which was itself 4 years after the initial injury) I still have to think through standing up and walking if I've been sitting down for more than a few minutes, otherwise the leg doesn't get the signals and I topple straight over.  That can be highly amusing after a couple of sherbets...!

What was I doing when I injured myself?  Backward crossovers.  Admittedly at a fair old pace...  No idea what happened to cause the wipe out but we think I must've hit something on the ice with my blade, as I just stopped and went flying, ending up facing in the other direction, and with my right knee under my left leg and my right lower leg at a rather unnatural angle.  And that was that. 

The Sacred Voice

« Reply #5077 on: December 04, 2017, 04:33:26 pm »
I meant to post this last week! Last week's achievements were that my flip got a bit better, my leg strength improved, my consecutive back inside edges are coming along nicely and my spins showed a modicum of improvement. On the downside, my loop seems to get worse as my flip gets better, which doesn't make any sense...

This week's improvements are (hopefully) yet to come!
I'm blogging about my skating journey, please read along at dontexcelaxel.blogspot.com

Leif

« Reply #5078 on: December 05, 2017, 08:56:06 am »
WednesdayMarch: Glad things are okay now, I only hope I never suffer such an injury. There but for the grace of God, etc.

I've finally got my backwards CW crossovers to the stage where I feel comfortable, and I am riding the edges correctly. They're far from perfect, but the unease has gone.

I've also been working on my forwards right foot hockey stop. The left is solid, but the right has lagged behind. Hopefully given more work it will get to the same standard.

My CW forwards crossovers are still not right. More work is needed. As ever with CW skating, getting ice time is hard, as public sessions tend to be crowded and CW skating is not safe.

Hi ho, onwards and upwards ...

transmissionoftheflame

« Reply #5079 on: December 05, 2017, 01:34:08 pm »
I've probably said this before but a good way to get a bit of CW in without going too much against the flow is to skate CCW but do it using alternating CCW and CW crossovers.  Sometimes called Russian Stroking.  You can do this forwards and backwards.  You still need a bit of space as you're doing lobes that will take up a fair bit of space.

There was a thread about it here: http://www.skatingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2302.0

and a good diagram here: http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/RussianStroking.jpg

FamilySkater

« Reply #5080 on: December 05, 2017, 02:14:58 pm »
I had a great skating session today! Last week I wanted to learn one foot turns (3 turns?) and backward one foot glides and wasn't very successful with either. This week I went back a step and learnt two foot turns and backward stroking, in the beginning I couldn't do either but by the end I was getting quite good. My crazy kids were trying to do bunny hops, I certainly wasn't going to attempt that. Wish we could go more than once a week, hoping to after Christmas.

Leif

« Reply #5081 on: December 05, 2017, 02:24:29 pm »
I've probably said this before but a good way to get a bit of CW in without going too much against the flow is to skate CCW but do it using alternating CCW and CW crossovers.  Sometimes called Russian Stroking.  You can do this forwards and backwards.  You still need a bit of space as you're doing lobes that will take up a fair bit of space.

There was a thread about it here: http://www.skatingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2302.0

and a good diagram here: http://www.skatingaheadofthecurve.com/RussianStroking.jpg

Yes, I do that. I sometimes try a couple of steps one way, then a couple the opposite way and so on. Not as good as the real thing, but better than nowt.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy