Author Topic: You know you're a skating addict...  (Read 14248 times)

Lynds Skates

You know you're a skating addict...
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:00:24 am »
Well, how DO you tell if you're a skating addict?  I'll put a few here, but add your own!!

You know you're a skating addict when:

- Summer holidays drive you mad!
- You've got bruises on your knees, arms, head, bum...!
- The new boots you've been saving up for take priority over replacing your old, leaky washing machine!  (Ok, maybe that's just me  ;) )
- You watch DOI with a critical eye, and proceed to tell your family and friends exactly what was brilliant, and bad about the performance!

Please, add your own!  :D
Passed Grade 10!! 

Working on Bronze...!

Christine

Re: You know you're a skating addict...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:12:52 am »
You bemoan moving offices as the new one doesn't have enough floor space to practice your 3 jump and the first thing you take to the new office is your framed SkateUK 10 certificate  ;D
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009
Working on Level 1 Field moves and would like to do Level 1 Dance if I find the time
Proud to be a 'Silver Skater' ! To live is to skate, to skate is to live. (Apologies to Snoopy)

Andy

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 10:22:53 am »
You know you are a addict when:

1.You bore everyone at parties and have too many drinks and start to show off your 3 turns in the kitchen and you don't care who is watching :-[

2.Buy your non skating friends Christmas card with skaters on ;D

3.Doing stretching exercises at any opportunity :-[

4.Planing you holidays so the hotel has a rink i.e Sharmil sheik Egypt (I get bored sitting by a pool) PS I know I have spelt it wrong O0

5.Don't visit relatives because you are at the rink at 6am on a Saturday ;D

6. Spend hundreds of pounds on new skates and blades and then look for two for one in the super market  :crazy2:
Andi :smitten:

rach

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 10:37:07 am »
Yip agree with all those especially the stretching one and jumping at parties.....except its not limited to parties and kitchens..... I happened to be practising my loop outside a Pizza shop the other night while my mate waited for food and got the response...."so whats that one called then?" The fact they realised it was a skatey thing instantly does not bode well for me cos I don't even realise i'm doing it!
Also ;
- when you play with the skipping rope in the playgorund in teapot position rather than crouching down sensibly
- When you spend 12 out of the 16 days you off work at the rink...bearing in mind it was shut for 3 of those off ice days
- when you narrow your already very selective criteria for potential parnters even further by adding "must be able to skate, and possibly lift me" (thats a narrow field!)
- when almost all the parents of the kids you teach know you a skater.. you know you talk about it too much at work!
- when you are dreading the summer because your rink will be no more!

Christine

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 10:45:51 am »
You know you are a addict when:

2.Buy your non skating friends Christmas card with skaters on ;D

3.Doing stretching exercises at any opportunity :-[

4.Planing you holidays so the hotel has a rink i.e Sharmil sheik Egypt (I get bored sitting by a pool) PS I know I have spelt it wrong O0

5.Don't visit relatives because you are at the rink at 6am on a Saturday ;D

6. Spend hundreds of pounds on new skates and blades and then look for two for one in the super market  :crazy2:

2.  I managed to find some cards with skating nuns in one of the charity shops
3.  My colleagues are now used to me standing discussing something with them and doing stretches at the same time  ;D
4. Will definitely be using some of my luggage allowance on taking my own skates next time we visit Tunisia so that I can properly use the Blue Ice rink at Jasmine Hammamet
5. Couldn't do that one - have insomnia and sometimes am only just dropping back off to sleep at that time of the morning  ;)
6. Husband gets a tad fed up with my 'Can't afford that!' because I'm saving for Dundee/Sheffield  ::)
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009
Working on Level 1 Field moves and would like to do Level 1 Dance if I find the time
Proud to be a 'Silver Skater' ! To live is to skate, to skate is to live. (Apologies to Snoopy)

Andy

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:55:02 am »
Christine
I had the skating nuns as well popular choice
As about having insomnia occasionally I am still awake on a Friday till after 2am but still drag myself out including waking up next door!!
Only a handful on the ice I went this morning only 3 of us until 7.30and only 2 more arrived it was total bliss
Best part about the coach nearly knocked me over going backwards and not looking >:(

Slippy Slider

• My 'expression of horror' on ice is Concentration!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 11:02:22 am »
I'm sitting here at work with my colleague - its absolutely dead today, but someone has to be here.  To pass the time i'm sitting here looking at the forum.

We were discussing the fact that I've booked next Wednesday off work - on practice ice in the morning and then I'm doing a talk on Wednesday evening to a Church group about what I called my skating hobby - so a lovely skating day.

My colleague said to me - you mean your addiction to skating, not just a hobby - to which my reply was - I wouldn't say I was addicted.  I then looked back at my computer screen and found the subject title of this thread staring back at me  ;D
Lost in a world of infinite possibilities, but with no Chocolate Hobnobs  :P

Christine

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 11:04:10 am »
Hi Andi

I admire your resolution and may manage some early morning during the summer but winter is hibernation time and it seems unnatural to be up and about that early in the morning/middle of the night  ;D

Christine  :coolsmiley:
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009

Andy

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 11:17:12 am »
Christine
my coach is back Saturday she was off for Christmas so I needed to get my act together and to be honest  Iam still settling into the new boots only hurt for about 15 mins nearly broken in also leant a new move this morning I forget what its called but basically you are moving forward and you bring your boot right behind the other one and put your free foot upward if that makes any sense

Christine

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:30:04 am »
basically you are moving forward and you bring your boot right behind the other one and put your free foot upward if that makes any sense

Oh I know the one you mean - it's a bit scarey to start with, isn't it?  Now, what is it called - no, don't tell me - oh, is it a closed chassis?  you need them for Bronze dance.
Gold Dance 2009
Bronze Free 19/03/2009

Andy

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 11:36:18 am »
Christine
You are correct  O0
I can do right and left so she will be pleased on Saturday Iam still srugling with the barrel rolls though she cant have it all her own way !!
I have seen it being used in the Tango so here I come!! 8)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy