Author Topic: new skater  (Read 3440 times)

ICEHOCKYMAD

new skater
« on: February 24, 2007, 07:00:18 pm »
hi i went on the ice for the first time about a week ago and fell in love i was wondering if any one who skied b4 skating natraly found it easy to ice skate because i fell once but after that i was sprinting,stoping and turning quite easily. so i thought about learning to skate is 17 to old to start skating i started skiing when i was 6

Derek

Re: new skater
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »
is 17 to old to start skating

I started 15 months ago at the age of 50, because nobody told me that I shouldn't.

Go for it.

Derek :)
Bronze Passport: PASSED Woohoo !
Silver: PASSED Yippee !
Gold: Back Spin PASSED One Foot Spin ____ Toe Loop ____ Programme ____

The impossible is only a journey away ...

ICEHOCKYMAD

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 07:15:46 pm »
lol  i guess i have nothing to worry about  then

ICEHOCKYMAD

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 07:19:02 pm »
derek did getting to level 10 put a dent in your wallet

Derek

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 07:25:53 pm »
Not at all, the course runs at £40 for eight group lessons of 30 mins duration. In with this price, I also got 30 mins of practice ice time, and entrance onto the public ice (2 hr session) afterwards ... I maximised the benefit of the lessons by getting extra practice in during the week (that is my excuse anyway and I am sticking with it !!!). Within a year, I had graduated through level 10, but am re-enrolling as there is continual improvement, whilst I am waiting for a coach to become available.

Truth is, I just love skating, even at the age of 51 !!!

ICEHOCKYMAD

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 07:32:13 pm »
i am just realy shocked at how cheap it is to learn and master ice skating, skiing lessons are realy expensive i went to a camp in zurich called haut-lac and it cost about one grand and i only ended up at level 5 at the end of the week , i think ill enjoy skating more then skiing  because it wasnt forced on me to do it. i want to persuit ice skating and mabey start ice hocky after if thats possible

sweeneytodd

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 08:25:55 pm »
I managed to get to level 10 in four six weeks courses of £45 each.   but i could roller skate  well before that.   It's never too late to learn.  You just need to be realistic in your goals.   I did   go once a week between lessons and took the odd private lesson on things I was struggling on.  (mainly Mohawks)

ICEHOCKYMAD

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 08:37:43 pm »
i have a question i am 6ft and herd that it is harder for taller people to play ice hocky is there any truth in that or it doesnt matter how tall you are ?

Derek

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 09:58:41 pm »
No idea on hockey as I have never played, but since the Canadians tend to dominate the sport, aren't they mostly big guys?

ICEHOCKYMAD

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 10:09:00 pm »
ive brought some new ccm ice hocky skates is it ok to start with hocky skates when doing skate uk

sweeneytodd

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 10:13:39 pm »
Hockey skates on skate UK fine to start with.  Its only on the higher levels  6-10 they have a slight disadvantage.  I did  levels one to 5 on  hockey skates then switched to  Figures but one of the lads in the later levels did all 10 on hockeys.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy