Author Topic: Learn to skate programme  (Read 3477 times)

Gareth

Learn to skate programme
« on: February 20, 2007, 01:18:48 am »
Hi everyone, this is my first post so I will introduce myself.
I'm Gareth and I am 17 years old from Cwmbran in South Wales.

I have enrolled on an 8 week learn to skate course, and Planet Ice in Cardiff, starting 3rd March.

I have been skating recreationally for about 4 months now and have taught myself many of the things in this course and I'm just wondering if it is possible to complete the course to level 10 in the 8 weeks.

Synchronised skating is what I want to do, so assuming I pass level 10 what would I have to do next?

sweeneytodd

Re: Learn to skate programme
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:50:08 am »
Yes it is  possible  to pass all 10 levels,  it may be worth mentioning it before you start so you can have a proper assessment,  (if you get a trainee coach or helper he may not move you up levels.)    However if you are weak on some of the moves it is worth working on them a bit longer to get them right before you progress. 

There are synchro elements on the Star/Passport programme  if it's available there.  If not is there a synchro club at Cardiff?

Derek

• Crustie from Coventry ...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 04:40:07 pm »
Excuse me sounding a shade doubtful, but why the rush? The LTS programme is configured to last for anywhere from about a year onwards, depending upon the individual, and covers the basics. Completion of this course should not be an obstacle to you getting involved in your chosen area, if that is accessible to you. Here in Coventry (also Planet Ice by the way) acceptance into either the hockey club or the figure club is available after achieving level 5. You sound fairly comfortable with what you have taught yourself, but bear in mind that some of the more advanced elements can be quite daunting. I personally struggled with outside 3 turns (level 6) and barrel rolls (level 10 step sequence). Both of these elements took me at least 3 weeks each to learn, attending two sessions per week.

I would not want you to become demoralised if your progress is not as rapid as you envisage, and I hope that they place you correctly according to your standard.

Very best of luck,

Derek :)
Bronze Passport: PASSED Woohoo !
Silver: PASSED Yippee !
Gold: Back Spin PASSED One Foot Spin ____ Toe Loop ____ Programme ____

The impossible is only a journey away ...

Gareth

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 06:39:35 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I am in no rush, I was just wondering if the course was supposed to last the 8 weeks, or if it usually goes over that time.  I will also be having private lessons once a week and I want to skate about 12 hours a week like i did before the cardiff rink closed.  Also I am going to be doing my university course part time just because it will give me more time to spend on skating.

I thought I would have to complete the course before I could join a club, Im not sure if there is a club at the new planet ice rink yet as it has only just opened.

I do feel comfortable with most of the elements, including the three jump, but i do struggle with mohawks and outside 3 turns.

Anyway I will just see how it goes, If it takes me a year then it takes me a year :)

sweeneytodd

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 03:59:38 am »
The learn to skate here is roughly one course per level.  Though most people pass at least one and two together.  However if you can already skate you are likely to get moved up.  It is worth working on the Mohawks as  they do get used a lot in Synchro it seems.  Main thing to do is ask either the club or the coach about what level you need to be for the synchro.   Some rinks have  teams at different levels which in that case it shouldn't matter too much.  However if there are only competitive teams the standard could be quite high.

Kristen

• Ice Princess!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 11:47:50 am »
Hiya, it's great that u want to start skating but from what you said about doing a University course part time so you have more time for skating, don't you think education is a bit more important than skating? Unless you are 101% serious about skating and you want to be able to go to competitions and aim for the top i would say do a full time university course as you want to have the best possible qualifications for later life! This is just my opinion of course but please take on board the advice. My brother is also starting University this year..Heriot Watt in Edinburgh i think! x
x Kristen x

Gareth

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 05:25:02 pm »
Yes I am serious about skating, and I am going to be aiming to get to the top and would like to make a career out of it, but I have been told if I want to do that I am going to have to put a lot of time and effort into it. I wasn't going to go to university, but I thought it would be a good idea to have something to fall back on (not literally lol), so I will be doing a diploma in Mental Health Nursing.

Kristen

• Ice Princess!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 01:02:38 pm »
Thats quite a challenge..i would recommend talkking to saomeone who is a mental health nurse or is currently doing the course. My sister did this and she litterally had no time for anything else. If u want to make it to the top, which i have to say is extremely brave of you! lol, maybe you should reconcider courses? Just trying to give u some advice so it doesn't all go terribly wrong! x
x Kristen x

Gareth

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 02:28:49 pm »
My mum is a mental health nurse, so are many other members of my family, I have spoken to a lot of people, and they are prepared to help me with the assignments if I need it.  But any course at university isnt going to be easy, and they will all take up a lot of time, which is why I am going to be doing it part time.  I start work as an N.A. next month part time so I will se how it goes.  Thanks for the advice and information everyone, you have all been a great help.

newskater

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 08:01:50 pm »
good luck with both your goals :)

Derek

• Crustie from Coventry ...
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 08:15:49 pm »
Good luck on the nursing career from me too. My wife is a palliative care nurse, and finds her career extremely rewarding.
Bronze Passport: PASSED Woohoo !
Silver: PASSED Yippee !
Gold: Back Spin PASSED One Foot Spin ____ Toe Loop ____ Programme ____

The impossible is only a journey away ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy