Author Topic: Skate UK Star (passport) natter  (Read 6252 times)

Derek

• Crustie from Coventry ...
Skate UK Star (passport) natter
« on: July 30, 2007, 02:17:35 pm »
Thought this thread might be useful to focus questions and discussion on the 'Passport'.

I am currently plodding through my passport Bronze, consisting of the following ...

Three Jump (off crossovers)
Forward Spiral
Bunnyhop/Drag
Two foot spin (3 revs min)

I was chuffed to be signed off on my spin last saturday, this appeared to be the one element I could not do at all, but I persevered with the suggestions from my coach, and have obviously improved significantly. The other elements are very close to passing, just small details to correct, so as to satisfy the critical eye of my level 3 coach. She has already introduced me to the one foot spin, salchow (for silver) and toeloop (for gold). Unfortunately, with the summer holiday ice sessions, it is difficult to get much ice time, and then it is crowded, but hopefully september will see more progress.

Kate, re spins for gold, I believe there are two - listed in the book as back spin, one rev minimum, and one foot forward spin, 4 revs minimum, with correct entry and exit. I think the entry is from crossovers, not sure of the exit, but your coach should know the details.

After gold, my daughter has started on field moves, at novice level I think, but not sure about that. She has also been taught more advanced material, eg backward 3 turns, twizzles, plus more advanced jumps and spins, eg loop, flip, sitspin, camel etc. She is also doing combination jumps.

Hope this helps ...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 02:20:06 pm by Derek »
Bronze Passport: PASSED Woohoo !
Silver: PASSED Yippee !
Gold: Back Spin PASSED One Foot Spin ____ Toe Loop ____ Programme ____

The impossible is only a journey away ...

Kate

Re: Skate UK Star (passport) natter
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 02:47:09 pm »
Hey thanks :)

I know what they are i just can't do them lol

I have just thought i will ask my coach for more information on what happens after gold :)

Well done on passing your spin though :)

Derek

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 03:23:51 pm »
Bearing in mind, about six weeks ago I couldn't spin for toffee, I would say you will be able to do it if you keep at it. What is the problem, is it entry, balance, or getting enough rotation (remember that every coach will have their own way of doing things, there isn't a single 'best' way). My coach tells me to break things down into little pieces when I struggle, then get each bit comfortable before putting them together ...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 03:26:56 pm by Derek »

Kate

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 06:03:11 pm »
I have really good speed up to the enterence and have the correct set up but i end up spinning on my toe-pick or not going round more than twice.

I did a skate camp last week where i focused mainly all week on my spin but didn't improve atall :(

My coach said it is all in the arms<< do you know what he means by that?

Thanks

Derek

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:55:10 pm »
My coach said it is all in the arms<< do you know what he means by that?

I think I do yes ...
The energy and balance for the spin are contained in the arms, as you enter the spin, your arms should be extended to capture the maximum energy for the spin. As you start to rotate, pull your arms in, this will increase your speed, you may even feel the centrifugal force trying to pull your arms back out. You can practice this on a two foot spin. The position of the arms is also important to your balance, needed to get your centre for a good spin. I think the ideal point is where the rocker changes shape, about under the ball of your foot. You can feel this point if you stand and rock gently back and forward. I am constantly trying slightly different positions with my arms to develop my balance, it seems to affect it more than anything else. The other thing I noticed, is to remain relaxed, since when I get tense, the spin disintegrates completely. Oh, and I fix my eyes on a point just above eye level, so my head doesnt tend to dip.

Hope these comments from a very poor spinner help :)

Kate

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 07:54:49 pm »
Wow :) skatings proving to be very scientific lol

I tried this thing on a two foot spin where you start from stand still and pull your arms up and spin but i can't go round more than once but i can do it okish when i'm moving.
The problem is on a one-foot i can do it loads of times from stand still with the arms pulled in and up to my chest but not when i moving :(??

I've tried to put the pressure on the ball of my foot but end up falling over :(

Thanks for all your help, it's nice to know that someone else is struggling a bit like me :)

Kate

PS- No one can be a poorer spinner then me  :(

chillybot

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:35:07 pm »
Hi Kate

You said earlier that your coach said that you were spinning the wrong way.Just a little thought but you're not a leftie are you. Both my kids are left handed jumpers and spinners. My son has just had to learn to do twizzles both ways (or affectionately we call them tornados). But orginally my daughters coach tried to get her to jump and spin the other way leading with the right hand but she just can't

Derek

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 08:41:33 pm »
Just to add to that, I am a leftie too. Not fun on busy sessions, but at least I skate in the same direction as my coach!

Kate

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 03:08:28 pm »
Hey :)

Thanks chillybot i am actually... maybe that could be a reason??
I'll ask my coach next lesson :)

Kate

DizzyDasies

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 11:00:16 am »
I was just wondering, what happens after passport? i've only just passed bronze, but if i pass gold i don't want to stop lessons, cos i really enjoy them.

DizzyDaisies :)
Working on:

Loop Jump

sweeneytodd

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 12:33:40 pm »
You can go onto the Nisa levels,  and they  go on for quite a way, either in dance, free or synchro.   You can also take the other sections of your passport if you wish to.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy